Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 09:01 AM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Looking Death's Dialogue in paperback edition of Reaper man it's very hard to tell if it's real 'small-caps' or simply a smaller font in capitals. The starts of Death's sentences uses a regular capital.

What happens on ereaders or apps that don't support Media Queries?
[Edit: the dog ate my homework text books]

I only see them in ebooks downloaded from Amazon.
You can test media queries on a Kobo using ePub as the version of RMSDK used does not support media queries.

One thing I cannot find is how to do a media query for small-caps. I don't think it can be done. I would not mind being proved wrong in this case.

So it looks like you either use the font-variant and some will not get Death correct or you use a font-size and everyone will get Death correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #122
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Code:
]<p><small>S<small>O</small> I <small>HAVE</small> <small>HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>
Are you saying you need to wrap each individual word with its own <small> tag?!?! Why not just include the space in one set of tags??

Code:
 <small>HAVE HEARD</small>
The space within the tag would at least keep the spacing consistent… and reduce code bloat.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 09:08 AM   #123
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Are you saying you need to wrap each individual word with its own <small> tag?!?! Why not just include the space in one set of tags??.
This is the third time I'm saying that that was a bad example, please read everything This is the comment I stand by.

<p><small>SO I HAVE HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:12 AM   #124
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually wasn’t responding to you, but to JSWolf. I don’t try to force my opinions/techniques on others. I give advice and examples. It’s up to the reader to use it, or not.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 AM   #125
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
I actually wasn’t responding to you, but to JSWolf. I don’t try to force my opinions/techniques on others. I give advice and examples. It’s up to the reader to use it, or not.
My apologies, I misunderstood
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 09:14 AM   #126
paperwhite13
Zealot

But just to say this, everyone should forget about that comment (quoted by JSWolf), I did say it's bad
Old 02-12-2024, 09:15 AM   #127
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
So it looks like you either use the font-variant and some will not get Death correct or you use a font-size and everyone will get Death correct.
I'd hesitate to correct Death, or even challenge to a game of chess. I'm neither a good chess player or Gary Gygax.

https://xkcd.com/393/
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:19 AM   #128
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
This is the third time I'm saying that that was a bad example, please read everything This is the comment I stand by.

<p><small>SO I HAVE HEARD</small>, said Death.</p>
I'd be really grateful if someone explained to me why did JSWolf say that in the quoted scenario I'm losing the caps, I'd like to understand.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #129
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Soooo just wait a minute now… in that comic EVERYONE is talking in all caps… WTH?!?!!!
Old 02-12-2024, 09:22 AM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is the same type of kluge that people have used for things like drop-caps. Unfortunately, there are still quite a few people who use it. It is NOT a recommended technique. It breaks up words so any spelling checkers, or search algorithms would not work, and it is not accessibility friendly...think what TTS programs would sound like: S...O...I...have heard...

In the example I gave above, none of that is an issue.

JSWolf is correct that a standards compliant device/app would just ignore any styling that it doesn't understand/support. So style from most basic to most complex, or older to newer, or least capable to most capable. The device/app will style to its highest level of compatibility without giving any errors. All MQs typically go on their own stylesheet in case older(er) devices that don't support MQs don't lose all the rest of the styling on the sheet.

Code:
So I have heard, said Death.
Is basic, but at least it is grammatically correct, readable, searchable, TTS able, etc. If the user doesn't LIKE that they have a basic device then it's up to them to decide if they want upgrade, or just live with it...if they even notice they didn't have the small-caps...they've never seen it on that device.

You can also adjust your coding based on the capabilities of your target devices/apps. If you are marketing on Amazon, you only need to worry about kindle capabilities, not kobo quirks... swap the css sheet to a kobo version if you are going to sell there...not that difficult.
I would hope the TTS would ignore the <small> as it's display only.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:24 AM   #131
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

My response in #122 was asking why he kept the space outside of the <small> tags. Hopefully he will answer.

In general, the technique is used to simulate small-caps… where capital letters would still be displayed larger than the lower case letters. That is done automatically using the font-variant:small-caps on devices that support it.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:25 AM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
Sorry, I don't understand, what do you mean I've lost the actual caps? It's ironic that this time around you're pushing for writing a CSS class when a simple tag works
You have to have a full size cap where appropriate and all the other letters are smallcaps.

The problem is that <small> is too large for smallcaps. So you have to set a size for <small> to work properly (in this case).
Old 02-12-2024, 09:28 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Are you saying you need to wrap each individual word with its own <small> tag?!?! Why not just include the space in one set of tags??

Code:
 <small>HAVE HEARD</small>
The space within the tag would at least keep the spacing consistent… and reduce code bloat.
If you use font-variant: small-caps, a space is a full size space. If you use <small>, a space will be smaller then it should be. So if you want a correct size space, you have to do it as I did it.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:39 AM   #134
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
You have to have a full size cap where appropriate and all the other letters are smallcaps.

The problem is that <small> is too large for smallcaps. So you have to set a size for <small> to work properly (in this case).
In my (second) example, the entire line was in small caps, just like the original I've posted, with no initial regular cap, so something missing couldn't have been lost.

I understand about <small>, but I tried it without redefining it, with the Random in Death font-size: 85%, and your own 0.8333em, and I failed to see a difference with the naked eye. I will keep it in mind and test it further, though.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:55 AM   #135
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Back to the topic of IDs. This is actual code from an eBook where the <a> should be removed if it's not being used.

Code:
lit<a id="page10"></a>tle world

Tags
indesign, sigil