Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Station Eleven

Anyone hear anything about the TV series? I read the book and remember enjoying it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't have HBP Max. But the L.A. Times seems to like it:

‘Station Eleven,’ like the Shakespeare that sustains it, is something of a miracle
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:36 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
That article suggests the series is not particularly faithful to the book ... but I do think the book leaves a lot to be explored, so maybe that's not an entirely bad thing. And it does sound like the series at least works in the same sort of way (the multiple timelines and so on). IMDb is showing a score of 7.1 so far.

I do like Himesh Patel - he may not be exactly who I saw as Jeevan when I read the book, but I can see him filling that roll very well. Mackenzie Davis seems a reasonably good choice for Kirsten, I think.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I have held back from reading it. The reviews seem to suggest it has very little plot or direction.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I have held back from reading it. The reviews seem to suggest it has very little plot or direction.
I did find it odd and a bit frustrating at times, because the point of the multiple timelines was not always clear, but I found strangely compelling too, and it did come together well at the end. So not quite a typical linear tale, and significant aspects of it have little explicit explanation ... but I did find it a satisfying read by the end and one that left more of a mark than many I read last year.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I read it when it came out. It was a good read, not a great one.

I'd like to see the series, but I'm not subscribing to HBO max. Too many streaming services each with their own shows. You'd have to sign up for them all to see everything you'd want to see, so I chose the approach of signing up to none, other than Netflix.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I read it when it came out. It was a good read, not a great one.

I'd like to see the series, but I'm not subscribing to HBO max. Too many streaming services each with their own shows. You'd have to sign up for them all to see everything you'd want to see, so I chose the approach of signing up to none, other than Netflix.
I agree. I sign up for none also, except for Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney plus, Youtube TV. Although some of those are "free".

John F is offline   Reply With Quote