Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
islandmixed
islandmixed began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite (2012)
Question (Newbie) Afew Qs about the kindle paperwhite...

Hey all

Ive been looking through some threads on tips which have been helpful, so i continue to do that but i have a question regarding PDF files on this device, now i am sure it said it supports these files, but when i found one online to download straight to the kindle, it said something about you can only download mobi files a listed some other ones? very confused, so can they only be added by the pc, or do they need to be converted etc. i keep reading threads about programs and that jail breaking needs to be done to read pdfs etc..

appreciate any help...
thanks
islandmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You don't need to jailbreak to read PDF, but you'll need to add it via USB as the web browser doesn't support downloading PDF.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
islandmixed

Ok i got it...so can this also be done by emailing the pdf to the kindle email address? which will then show up on the device?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Yes. If you put 'convert' in the subject line, it will be converted to Kindle format.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
islandmixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Yes. If you put 'convert' in the subject line, it will be converted to Kindle format.
oh really...now that makes it easier then. will try that asap. cheers for the help
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It has been my experience that the conversion of the PDFs is rather hit or miss. In most instances I end up having to transfer the PDF, as the conversion is unuseable.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
islandmixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
It has been my experience that the conversion of the PDFs is rather hit or miss. In most instances I end up having to transfer the PDF, as the conversion is unuseable.
i have just done the email thing and it sets it out much better but yes very difficult to zoom in and read. i will try he normal manual transfer. i heard if you jailbreak the kindle their are programs that work very well.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Currently I know only of Duokan (is it also Paperwhite now or only KTouch?). Kindlepdfviewer will still need some development work in order to get the functionality on the KTouch/KPW that it has now on the KKeyboard/KDX/K2.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote