Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why not strip out the content and leave us with a nice template, ahi? Or are you waiting until you have more time?
That's the only reason, frabjous!

When I get a little time... (there's a small chance it might even be this week) I will clean up this template, and try to post another one or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Personally, I don't think it takes a lot of bells and whistles to make a good LaTeX ebook. The key should be getting the content of the book looking right, and just using LaTeX does half the battle for you.

However, perhaps I'll post something minimal when I get a chance.
I agree, but with a bit of tinkering one can create more aesthetic and/or inspired documents than the defaults generally yield. (Even if, perhaps, only because the result doesn't look like the work of everybody else using the memoir class.)

Edit: I'm hoping to even try something fancy (but elegant) by taking consistent cues from "The Elements of Typographic Style" for at least one of the templates.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
MrsAmyBlake
MrsAmyBlake began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Post LaTeX for ebook

Hi,
I am very interested in finding out if you have developed/refined the latex template for ebooks. Any help you can provide would be extremely appreciated. Feel free to email me at mrsamyblake@gmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Amy
MrsAmyBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sorry I don't email people on the board.

If you want to know the basic template I use for LaTeX ebooks, for a 90mmx120mm screen, I'd probably just use this:

Code:
\documentclass[12pt,oneside]{book}

\usepackage[papersize={90mm,120mm},margin=2mm]{geometry}

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

\usepackage[normalmargins]{savetrees}
\sloppy
\pagestyle{empty}

\usepackage{titling}
\title{The title}
\author{The author}
\date{\today}

\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup{pdftitle={\thetitle},pdfauthor={\theauthor}}

% additional packages as needed

\begin{document}
\maketitle
\tableofcontents

% ... regular LaTeX stuff for the book ..., possibly tweaked if need be

\end{document}
But adjust the page size to the exact screen size of your device, if possible.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote