Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #46
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
@eschwartz you've helped me A LOT. Thank you for that.

And yeah, people here are really friendly. Although I do notice some a few bad eggs but the mods sweep in immediately. They must have superpowers to sense them quickly. :P
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:08 AM   #47
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
@eschwartz you've helped me A LOT. Thank you for that.

And yeah, people here are really friendly. Although I do notice some a few bad eggs but the mods sweep in immediately. They must have superpowers to sense them quickly. :P
Hint: if you see bad behavior, there is an ! next to the word karma on every post in all but one forum. Click on it in the offending post and it takes you to a report screen.
Oh and if you see a green name, they are the big moderators. So if you see someone arguing with a greenie, the mods know about the behavior.

Now our beloved eschwartz is a moderator in this forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #48
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

So I finally have my hands on it. Coming from the Glo HD, I agree with those that say that the PW feels much more premium. I'm suprised at the texture at the screen, which is much "rougher" than the Glo, and I do like it because it makes me feel like my reading experience is nearer to being book-like.

It arrived with firmware 5.6.5. I'm still thinking if I should jailbreak or not because I can live with the Kindle Collections but the added jailbreak features are quite interesting. Right now, I left it to charge first to full.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #49
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Jailbreaking doesn't hurt, and you might end up using it.
Do it.

Managing collections via calibre really is quite nice by the way.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 AM   #50
melovesflying
Groupie

You might have just convinced me. Is it correct that the space available for an empty Kindle is only 2.954 gb?
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 01:42 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
You might have just convinced me. Is it correct that the space available for an empty Kindle is only 2.954 gb?
I don't know the precise figure, but that sounds about right. The rest is used by the o/s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:44 AM   #52
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something like that. The internal memory is 4 GB, but some of that is used for the OS itself.

My Kindle Touch has a 3.3 GB accessible userstore partition, but it undoubtedly varies slightly according to device model.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 AM   #53
melovesflying
Groupie

Alright then. I was just a bit surprised as the available space for on my Aura and Glo HD had more than 3gb available if I remember correctly. I do like the OS of Amazon better since it feels much more stable and solid. But I really do miss the reading stats of Kobo. Stats c/o FreeTime wouldn't work since my books are sideloaded.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:25 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Something like that. The internal memory is 4 GB, but some of that is used for the OS itself.

My Kindle Touch has a 3.3 GB accessible userstore partition, but it undoubtedly varies slightly according to device model.
The current firmware (5.7.4) includes a full set of TTS voices for the new Kindle Voice thingie, which use another couple of hundred MB.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #55
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Same on my Kindle Touch.

But of course, if you want the extra space, you can delete the TTS files. It just means the TTS won't work.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #56
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

My PW 3 and Voyage both have 3.04 GB of space in the userstore, and the Oasis has 2.76. All are on Firmware version 5.7.4

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #57
melovesflying
Groupie

Strangely enough, I'm on 5.6.5 and the Update Kindle function is greyed out. Is this the universe telling me to jailbreak it? :P
Old 05-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #58
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yes.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #59
melovesflying
Groupie

Okay then. I listened to the call of the universe and eschwartz and my device is now jailbroken

Trying to figure out the librariansync part though as I'm stuck on the install Python stage (it won't install as the update Kindle is greyed out after I transfer the bin to root directory). I did send NiLuJe a PM though so I'll wait for help. But this is making me giddy.

I saw one of the screenshots (but I can remember which one) where the Launcher has a battery status indicator menu. Can you point out where I can get it? I don't see it when I use search here.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #60
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Note that on firmware >= 5.6.x you MUST use MrPI (MobileRead Package Installer) in order to install update_*.bin packages. The old "Update Your Kindle" method no longer works.

There is a note to that effect in the jailbreak thread (NiLuJe's thread with the original jailbreak and the hotfix, not Branch Delay's thread with the 5.6.5 jailbreak).