Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly you can add books to collections manually on the Kindle itself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #32
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
It was mentioned in the jailbreaking thread that new Kindles shipped by Amazon no longer ship with firmware 5.6.5. Is there a way I can find out the firmware of my device before I turn it on, e.g. by looking at the files using the computer? Or should I do a downgrade and jailbreak it if it indeed ships with the latest firmware?

But just in case I won't be able to jailbreak it, can sideloaded books be added to the collections that were created in the non-jailbroken Kindle itself? I've read that there's an option in the Kindle to add a new collection and manually add books.
Not sure what country you're in but my Voyage just arrive d on Monday with 5.6.5 in the UK. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility to get one that's jailbreakable! I didn't bother, but I can see the benefits.
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #33
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
It was mentioned in the jailbreaking thread that new Kindles shipped by Amazon no longer ship with firmware 5.6.5. Is there a way I can find out the firmware of my device before I turn it on, e.g. by looking at the files using the computer? Or should I do a downgrade and jailbreak it if it indeed ships with the latest firmware?

But just in case I won't be able to jailbreak it, can sideloaded books be added to the collections that were created in the non-jailbroken Kindle itself? I've read that there's an option in the Kindle to add a new collection and manually add books.
You can add sideloaded books to collections freely (heck, these days you can even add periodicals to collections, which used to be impossible), but you can only do it on the Kindle itself: Amazon don't provide a way to do it from an attached computer, though sometimes people have managed to reverse-engineer ways to do it on un-jailbroken devices and this might happen again in future. The collections themselves will show up in the cloud view ("All" or whatever it's called now), but the books obviously won't show up, so the collections might well appear empty until you switch to Downloaded.

This is a bit annoying if you have a lot of sideloaded books: it means pointless messing about on the Kindle to replicate a collections structure you already have on another device. Ah well, at least you only have to do it once.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #34
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
You can add sideloaded books to collections freely (heck, these days you can even add periodicals to collections, which used to be impossible), but you can only do it on the Kindle itself: Amazon don't provide a way to do it from an attached computer, though sometimes people have managed to reverse-engineer ways to do it on un-jailbroken devices and this might happen again in future. The collections themselves will show up in the cloud view ("All" or whatever it's called now), but the books obviously won't show up, so the collections might well appear empty until you switch to Downloaded.

This is a bit annoying if you have a lot of sideloaded books: it means pointless messing about on the Kindle to replicate a collections structure you already have on another device. Ah well, at least you only have to do it once.
It depends on what you mean by "sideloaded" If you are adding the books over USB, then yes...you have to add the books to the collections manually on each separate device. If you are adding the books by emailing them to the Kindle cloud, or by using the Send to Kindle app, then once they are added to a collection on one device, then they are also shown in the collection on all other devices.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #35
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It depends on what you mean by "sideloaded" If you are adding the books over USB, then yes...you have to add the books to the collections manually on each separate device. If you are adding the books by emailing them to the Kindle cloud, or by using the Send to Kindle app, then once they are added to a collection on one device, then they are also shown in the collection on all other devices.

Shari
Yes, if and only if personal document archiving is turned on when you do that, and *if* Amazon's cursed SMTP server isn't rejecting emails from you this particular minute. (I've had to fall back to sending all email to Amazon via gmail, because it's the only provider I've been able to find for whom Amazon doesn't randomly drop the SMTP connection in the middle of the transaction, over and over again for days: this started about four months ago and shows no sign of getting better.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #36
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
I'm from the other side of the world and I had a small issue with my forwarder so I'm getting mine a bit later than expected

I've made a custom column in Calibre where I can mark a book as read using a Yes or No dropdown column. Is there a faster way that I can transfer books marked as read to the 'read' collection on Kindle or I can only do it manually and book by book?
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #37
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I'm from the other side of the world and I had a small issue with my forwarder so I'm getting mine a bit later than expected

I've made a custom column in Calibre where I can mark a book as read using a Yes or No dropdown column. Is there a faster way that I can transfer books marked as read to the 'read' collection on Kindle or I can only do it manually and book by book?
What I would do is transfer all of the books with the "Read" tag at the same time, and then go onto the Kindle, create a collection called "Read". Once the collection is created, it will automatically open the "add items" dialog. You can then sort by recent, and add all of the books to the collection by putting a check in the box.

Not as convenient as having the collections created for you automatically like on the Kobo, but easier than having to add each one individually.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #38
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

That's a great idea. Never crossed my mind. I might just have to do that if I decide not to jailbreak. Thanks for the heads up.

Update: Looks like I won't be able to jailbreak mine. Had a chat with an Amazon representative and she confirmed that it ships with the latest firmware now. But she did remove the ads for free.

Last edited by melovesflying; 04-30-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #39
melovesflying
Groupie

I've been looking at plugboard templates but I don't see a format for the one I wish to use. I was hoping to have something like this:

Fantastic Beasts (title)
JK Rowling - Harry Potter [7.50] (author followed by series and series number)

OR

Fantastic Beasts - Harry Potter [7.50] (title followed by series and series number)
JK Rowling (author)

Can anyone help me create a plugboard for these? Right now, what I have is:

{title} {series:|| }{series_index:0>5.2f|[|] }

and the destination field is the title. I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Slightly off topic: are we allowed to double post here? Can't find it in the guidelines. I'm sorry if it isn't allowed.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I've been looking at plugboard templates but I don't see a format for the one I wish to use. I was hoping to have something like this:

Fantastic Beasts (title)
JK Rowling - Harry Potter [7.50] (author followed by series and series number)

OR

Fantastic Beasts - Harry Potter [7.50] (title followed by series and series number)
JK Rowling (author)

Slightly off topic: are we allowed to double post here? Can't find it in the guidelines. I'm sorry if it isn't allowed.
You shouldn't post duplicate threads but you can start threads in the appropriate forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #41
melovesflying
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You shouldn't post duplicate threads but you can start threads in the appropriate forum.
Sorry. What I meant was double posting in a thread.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
JK Rowling (author)

Code:
{title}{series:| - |}{series_index:0>4.2f| [|]
For future reference, you should probably ask calibre-specific questions in the calibre forums. Even if it is for your Kindle, it's still done in calibre. And not all the calibre experts hang out in the Kindle forums as well.
We are currently running a deal: two threads for the price of one.

Quote:
Posting two consecutive posts in the same thread is perfectly OK. Posting the same post in two threads (e.g. asking the same question in two different forums to be "sure you get an answer) is what we call double-posting and it is forbidden. See the forum guidelines (which are linked in the footer template of the site) for more details.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 PM   #43
melovesflying
Groupie

Got it. I'll do that then. Thanks

In other forums I frequent, double posting is the same as 2 consecutive posts in one thread. Must have been why I can't see anything about it in the guidelines. Glad to have cleared that up. Sorry.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, this time I was able to help you anyway.

And you will find we are a bit more relaxed here than many other fora.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #45
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, this time I was able to help you anyway.

And you will find we are a bit more relaxed here than many other fora.
That is an understatement.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote