Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #106
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
to be able to display images in good quality. you have to choose the normal refresh mode, hence you have to switch off the A2 Modes. A2 Mode don't use Anti-Aliasing therefor the Text look a bit rough.

@ Nate the ?great? take your time to do contentful review, you are allways to hasty in your thoughts, conclusion and writing.

Last edited by Dolansky; 06-14-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #107
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
a german "first hands-on" review : http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/o...tworten-47614/
google translation : https://translate.google.com/transla...orten-47614%2F
(Khalid said he s going to publish a full review)

Last edited by pierro78; 06-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #108
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I would like you to test Coolreader, FBReader and other [free or inexpensive] reading apps. I am interested in configurability of the apps and the device itself. I am pretty sure that soon there will be some high-contrast mods and themes (whatever they are called in Android).
Look at what icons and other graphical elements were used on Nook Simple Touch in their jailbreak package.

How many buttons does the device have? Is it enough for the device not to have to use that ugly hack with on-screen home and menu buttons that NST had to use?
Google Play tells me that CoolReader and FBReader are already installed on the t68 (ooookay). I guess that means that Onyx uses those apps on their reading app.

In addition to the circular d-pad below the screen, there are 4 buttons on the face of the T68. Two are on either side of the screen like page turn buttons, but the ones on the left are actually the menu and back buttons. I had to find that out by reading the quick start guide; the buttons are only identified by little teeny tiny pictograms which I have trouble seeing.

Feel free to laugh, but I had to read the quick start guide (twice) to learn how to exit the ebook I was reading. The first time the guide was wrong, and the way out is only obvious once you realize that the buttons on the left are not page turn buttons.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #109
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talizh View Post
Thanks, that's certainly great news!
Welcome.

On a related note, RepliGo handled that 200MB graphic novel much better than Adobe Reader; RepliGo has a lot more features, too.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #110
talizh
Enthusiast
talizh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Welcome.

On a related note, RepliGo handled that 200MB graphic novel much better than Adobe Reader; RepliGo has a lot more features, too.
Yeah, I've always been quite impressed with RepliGo, I often use it on my phone. The reflow mode (accessible by clicking on the little eye-shaped icon on the top of the screen) is quite useful for reading PDFs on small screens, though the quality of the reflowed text varies depending on the PDF files themselves. I've found that most problematic PDF files can be fixed for reflow by tagging them using the accessibility tools in Adobe Acrobat (unfortunately, this requires the full version of the program, not the free reader).

Thanks again!
talizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #111
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The stock web browser is very slow; it works to display even animated graphics like today's Google Doodle. But it is slow so you might not want to use it much.
Thanks Nate for the feedback !

Could you try Opera Mini if you have time ? thanks again !
Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #112
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
Thanks Nate for the feedback !

Could you try Opera Mini if you have time ? thanks again !
Opera Mini works, and so does Dolphin. The latter is a little slower but it has a few nicer features. For example, Dolphin is showing today's animated Google doodle, while Opera Mini only shows a static doodle.

I can't really say that Dolphin or Opera Mini are much faster than the stock browser, but they do offer a nicer interface.

And while we are on the topic, Opera Mobile crashes on launch and Google Play won't even show me Firefox or Chrome
Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #113
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

(first thank you @Nate the great for your answer ! )

A first hands-on in german on mobileread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...66#post2851866
English translation : https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
Old 06-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #114
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

could someone testing cbr and cbz mangas on t68 with e.g. comiXology
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #115
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolansky View Post
could someone testing cbr and cbz mangas on t68 with e.g. comiXology
The Comixology app works. I tested it with the ebooks I bought there, but I don't have a comic with guided view so I can't tell you whether that also works.

The app has a dark theme which is difficult to read and it has animations which don't render well on the E-ink screen, so I for one would not want to use it long term.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #116
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

German video review of the T68 software by allesebook : http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/o...oftware-47740/
English translation : https://translate.google.com/transla...0%2F&sandbox=1

does someone here speak german ? he seems to be able to use google play OK ...
Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #117
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
German video review of the T68 software by allesebook : http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/o...oftware-47740/
English translation : https://translate.google.com/transla...0%2F&sandbox=1
I am puzzled - this reviewer seems to like the software side of T68 (at least the google translate suggests so). At the same time, he is quite negative about the frontlight. Nate's review/comments is precisely the opposite (on his pictures though, the light does seem bluish and blacks look quite washed out). Who is right? Do only some units have problems with the light? I vaguely remember that previous Onyx readers didn't have very good front light, so I worry whether they got it right this time - especially I'd like to now how it compares with the excellent frontlight of Aura HD.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #118
Dolansky
Groupie

allesbooks mentioned to getting used to press a little bit harder on the touchscreen to react properly. the google play store work the same way as the android smartphones. to press long on an ebook opened a context menu to choose to opened it with the preinstalled reading apps like onyx reader, fbreader, coolreader etc. the kindle app works but the page turn animation doesnt look nice on an eink screen.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #119
God Ginrai
God Ginrai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.God Ginrai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.God Ginrai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.God Ginrai has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx T68
Does anyone know yet how to change the default image when the device is powered off or in sleep mode? I want to personalize this, but I have not found an option to do so yet.

-God Ginrai
God Ginrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM   #120
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Ginrai View Post
Does anyone know yet how to change the default image when the device is powered off or in sleep mode? I want to personalize this, but I have not found an option to do so yet.

-God Ginrai
Towelroot app supposedly can root almost all android devices with 4.4.2 or older if you can get root changing those might be as little as finding and replacing the images.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote