Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 01:16 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Just to be clear, only the rightsholder, e.g. developer, can unilaterally change the terms of a license. In the case of the GPL, the copyright holder can not revoke the license of anyone that does not break the terms, but breaking the terms automatically revokes the license of anyone that breaks the terms.

Also, explicitly changing to a different license does not change the license of earlier versions of the software, even if the new license is proprietary.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:18 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kobo Sage has many items on your list, but not all. No color, no direct interface with Libby or Open Library AFAIK. I'm not sure what you can do with bluetooth on a Kobo, as I've never used it. The rest of your list is available on the Sage - light, touchscreen, note taking, buttons, 8'' screen, USB-C, open system, waterproof.
Kobo Libra has Bluetooth for Audio books (not sure if they must be from the store)
It would be nice if it could also be used for local file transfer. Save the USB contacts

I think the EU has (currently) forced USB-C as a standard for charging. Gone are the days of proprietary charger clutter due to them

I still have things that use all the USB (device end) connectors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 01:33 PM   #18
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kobo Libra has Bluetooth for Audio books (not sure if they must be from the store)
Currently you cannot successfully side load audiobooks onto Kobos. Well you can, but you can't play them

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think the EU has (currently) forced USB-C as a standard for charging. Gone are the days of proprietary charger clutter due to them
Now replaced with USB-C cable clutter! This one works with this shitty Android tablet, this one only does power (but not to that shitty Android tablet), this one does data, this one is Thunderbolt...
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:38 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Currently you cannot successfully side load audiobooks onto Kobos. Well you can, but you can't play them

Now replaced with USB-C cable clutter! This one works with this shitty Android tablet, this one only does power (but not to that shitty Android tablet), this one does data, this one is Thunderbolt...
By definition, Thunderbolt is not USB-C. It's Thunderbolt. Also, you CAN sideload and play audiobooks on Kobo. I know, because I have.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:52 PM   #20
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
By definition, Thunderbolt is not USB-C. It's Thunderbolt.
Indeed, but as you know it uses USB-C connectors so the cables look pretty similar. And because things with the Thunderbolt logo actually have to undergo independent testing, they actually work (and support USB-C power and data IIRC).

Quote:
Also, you CAN sideload and play audiobooks on Kobo. I know, because I have.
Ooh, I missed that change. Any more details? Any limitations?
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 03:09 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Actually you can sideload audiobooks and play them. The player interface is kindly described as primitive. See Sideloading Audiobooks started by @davidfor on how to and limitations. This capability has been there since the original release of the Sage.

Quote:
So far, my Thunderbolt 3 and 4 cables work as USB C cables with non-Thunderbolt devices. I've only seen one USB-C charging cable and it's sitting in my junkbox.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-03-2024 at 03:11 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:40 PM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Indeed, but as you know it uses USB-C connectors so the cables look pretty similar. And because things with the Thunderbolt logo actually have to undergo independent testing, they actually work (and support USB-C power and data IIRC).

Ooh, I missed that change. Any more details? Any limitations?
It's not a change. I bought my Sage within a month or two of the release and testing a sideloaded audiobook was one of the first things I did
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 05:49 AM   #23
chrisridd
Guru

Quote:
It's not a change. I bought my Sage within a month or two of the release and testing a sideloaded audiobook was one of the first things I did
I was mislead by this thread from 2023 into thinking "not really usable" meant "didn't work". My mistake.