Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2023, 04:56 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've explained carefully why with mono content is can look better than 150 dpi, but can never equal a 300 dpi panel with no filter on it.
But your explanation is nonsense - it ignores reality.
Please read carefully and try to understand what I have written; These are facts - not theoretical nonsense.

What is shown in the underlying grayscale Carta 1200 is irrelevant, because only CFA from Kaleido 3 produces the color representation

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-05-2023 at 05:10 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 07:40 AM   #17
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Back on topic: I sometimes read papers on my Kindle Scribe because it’s nice when reading outside but mostly do so in my iPad Pro 11, simply because they sync back to my Mac and I can directly review them when writing.
The advantage when reading on the Scribe is that I have to go back and revisit my highlights so this helps with committing stuff to memory.
When deciding for a workflow, and if there are no medical restrictions, ask how you work with your text and what kinds of texts you are reading. If you go through a lot of texts with little information, a faster workflow is perhaps better, if you go through a lot of texts that need rereading to grasp them, perhaps a slower workflow is actually helpful.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #18
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Back on topic: I sometimes read papers on my Kindle Scribe because it’s nice when reading outside but mostly do so in my iPad Pro 11, simply because they sync back to my Mac and I can directly review them when writing.
The advantage when reading on the Scribe is that I have to go back and revisit my highlights so this helps with committing stuff to memory.
When deciding for a workflow, and if there are no medical restrictions, ask how you work with your text and what kinds of texts you are reading. If you go through a lot of texts with little information, a faster workflow is perhaps better, if you go through a lot of texts that need rereading to grasp them, perhaps a slower workflow is actually helpful.
Thanks. Mine would probably be a slower workflow. Sometimes I will take notes.

I once knew the answer to this but I've forgotten, is an iPad or an e-ink better in sunlight? I'd like to be able to read the device on a bus. So, not harsh direct sunlight, but still pretty bright environment.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:52 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Eink is using reflected light, so yes the eink is better in sunlight to much better.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 06:08 AM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I once knew the answer to this but I've forgotten, is an iPad or an e-ink better in sunlight? I'd like to be able to read the device on a bus. So, not harsh direct sunlight, but still pretty bright environment.
E-ink is better when there's direct sunlight on the screen, but an iPad can be easily seen in any bright indoors environment, including buses.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2023, 07:37 AM   #21
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to go to a local Apple store and look at an iPad Pro, dim the brightness way down, and see how it looks to me.
Old 11-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #22
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
It's been a few years and I'm still in limbo about this. I need a large screen to view academic PDFs, and the choices seem to come down to an iPad Pro or the Tab X.
If it is just viewing (reading for many hours), then eink is uncontested. If it is for more, such as seriously needing to distinguish the colours in graphs and figures, annotate, send and share, it gets trickier.

In addition to ereaders, tablets, laptops and bigger computers, I nowadays own an eink monitor. I have found that real (academic) work gets done only on a real computer and if I wish to combine eink with real work, this necessitates an eink monitor attached to a real computer.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 03:04 PM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I have found that real (academic) work gets done only on a real computer and if I wish to combine eink with real work, this necessitates an eink monitor attached to a real computer.
I use a projector for this.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #24
Bookchin
Connoisseur

So I went to an Apple store tonight and looked the iPad Pro. I hadn't handled one in several years. I played around with the brightness settings and the night shift settings. There wasn't any flickering at low brightness. However, I noticed that dimming the brightness dimmed the text and made it grey from the reduced contrast. Also a dim screen seemed to enhance reflections. I suppose I could always get one of those matte screen protectors. I just don't know how much they would reduce reflections. The iPad display isn't exactly glossy, but it does have enough reflections to make some sort of reflection control necessary. Even with a matte screen protector, I don't think I could read for long periods on it. That's a shame.

I'm leaning towards an e-reader now. For color graphs and charts I could always double check them on my desktop monitor.
Old 11-12-2023, 12:33 AM   #25
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Is an 11" screen size large enough for viewing full size PDFs?
Old 11-12-2023, 02:11 AM   #26
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Is an 11" screen size large enough for viewing full size PDFs?
I think the 13" is ever so slightly smaller than an A4 sheet of paper. So anything smaller would not be enough to view them full-sized. It might be enough for legibility when doing some margin cropping depending on the text.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 04:08 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmm... a legal letter sheet of paper is 35.30cm or 13.9" diagonal while an A4 sheet is 36.37cm or 14.32". I find my old iPad Pro's 12.9" screen allows me to view most PDF's full size after margin trimming. Except for those bleeping foldout diagrams that seem to end up around A2 or larger paper size and require much scrolling to follow.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-14-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: uses legal instead of letter. Thanks to Quoth for noticing
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 06:34 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An 11″ of good resolution, with good eyesight or reading glasses will do many Letter & A4 PDFs.
A 12″ or better still 13″ is much better.

I remember going from 1600 x 1200 to 1920 x 1080 on the laptop and it made many Letter and A4 PDFs unusable. Now I have a desktop with UPS and 23″ 4K screen and it's the only thing perfect for PDFs. Almost as good as eink for ordinary text but better overall because it's more than 256 levels, HDR colour, vs only 16 levels. Equivalent to about 400 dpi eink with colour filter in resolution.

My tablet is only 10″ (too small for some PDFs) and the 10.3″ Elipsa eink also only does most PDFs, not all.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:44 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... a legal sheet of paper is 35.30cm or 13.9" diagonal while an A4 sheet is 36.37cm or 14.32".
I think you mean USA Letter size, not Legal?
https://www.measuringknowhow.com/legal-paper-size/

Legal size PDFs are rare. Actually I don't remember seeing any.

USA Legal size is 3″ longer and same width as USA Letter size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size#Loose_sizes
Old 11-13-2023, 05:29 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think you mean USA Letter size, not Legal?
https://www.measuringknowhow.com/legal-paper-size/

Legal size PDFs are rare. Actually I don't remember seeing any.

USA Legal size is 3″ longer and same width as USA Letter size.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size#Loose_sizes
Sadly you are correct. I wrote legal where I meant letter.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote