Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 04:54 PM   #1
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Best Contrast Device and Dark Mode

I have the Kobo Forma. It is patched, and I keep wifi off always. I sideload through Calibre.

I also have the Libre H20, and I like the screen on the Forma better, as it has slightly better contrast. However, the lighting is a bit uneven on the button side in the Forma. I'm considering downsizing to a 7". Would I like the Libre 2 screen better, or is it essently the same as the Forma?

I would like a ebook device that is well regarded for exceptional contrast and even lighting, I also use invert screen extensively at night. I cannot live without it. In this regard, the deeper the black, the better.

Any recommendations? I'm willing to consider non-Kobo devices but I do like the OS on the Kobos, as it's fairly stable and easy to modify with the kobo patches.

Not interested in internet, apps, all that. I use my Kobos for what they're designed to do, reading.

Last edited by tayseidel; 01-07-2024 at 09:16 PM.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Libra 2 is better than the Forma and better than most other current ereaders. There are a few on the same level (at least allegedly, I haven't seen them personally) and a couple of Boox Leaf devices are said to be even better, but generally you can't go wrong with the Libra 2 contrast-wise. And the light on mine is very even.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-07-2024 at 08:08 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:32 PM   #3
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Libra 2 is better than the Forma and better than most other current ereaders. There are a few on the same level (at least allegedly, I haven't seen them personally) and a couple of Boox Leaf devices are said to be even better, but generally you can't go wrong with the Libra 2 contrast-wise. And the light on mine is very even.

Yeah the single biggest drawback of Boox devices is the Android OS. A plus for some, but for me, it's not the best platform for single use devices. Too much tinkering, and too many things can go wrong.

One reason why I like the Remarkable 2, is the single-use oriented OS. Ditto for Kobo devices.

In what ways is the Libra 2 better than most current ereaders?
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:12 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
Contrast.
Old 01-08-2024, 05:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Contrast.
And eBook management. No other Reader beats that or even comes close.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:25 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And eBook management. No other Reader beats that or even comes close.
Well, other Kobo models do.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:11 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
One reason why I like the Remarkable 2, is the single-use oriented OS.
Almost all non-Android ereaders are just ereaders. The reMarkable is dual use. It's a PDF viewer (quite good one) with annotation and a Sketch pad app updated to allow text input from touch keyboard.
It's a networking only connection PDF tablet you can sketch on. It's not an ereader. It has no meta-data support, just a file manager. Many of the Android models have that problem.
I gave mine away. It's a bad copy of the Sony DPT and Fujitsu Digital Paper Tablets. The reMarkable can't be managed by Calibre. The Kindle Scribe, Pocketbook (note taking models), Boox (note taking models), Kobo Sage and Kobo Elipsa models are all superior to the reMarkable2. The original reMarkable has page turn and home buttons and a better writing surface. It's just a bit larger and heavier than the (cost reduced) remarkable2.

Also the only advantage of reMarkable 2 over the original reMarkable is that it's a bit lighter and a bit faster with a little more RAM and costs less to make. They run the same firmware. Original is nicer to write on. Poor amount of Flash memory. No on-device handwriting conversion (uses Internet service). Only use reMarkable Cloud, desktop program (not on Linux) or drag/drop one file at a time on browser. USB networking is a crazy interface.

Both reMarkable models are the same screen panel as an Elipsa. The original textured plastic for paper feel writing and 2 has glass.
Some Kobos are better contrast and sharpness. The Sage has same contrast/brightness but 300 dpi instead of reMarkable / Elipsa 227 dpi, so more pixels and sharper. Sage & Elipsa 32G storage vs 6G on reMarkable last time I looked.
Brightest/best contrast Kobo with front light off seems to be the 6.8″ 265 dpi original Kobo H2O with SD card slot.

The Kindle (apart from Scribe), Kobo (apart from Sage & Elipsa), Nook and old Sony PRS models are true single use ereaders that don't need a file browser due to meta-data Library use. The Scribe, Sage & Elipsa add notetaking.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-08-2024 at 08:23 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:32 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Contrast, current version uses 32G SD card. Internet never needed.
I have one and had the same size Kindle Oasis (gen 2). The Libra 2 might be one of the best 7″ ereaders. Better than the Oasis or my 7.8″ Android based Mars (though it can run the Irish local library apps, its only advantage apart from SD card slot. The audio is pointless).
Oddly the MSP/Ntrig protocol Kobo pen, and 3rd party ones, work on the sketch pad of the Libra 2 to take and save notes and sketches. One button selects a fatter line and the other button erases. Saves as SVG, and can be viewed or copied off, but not further edited on the Libra 2.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote