Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 07:38 AM   #31
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Wait till I'm dead to re-interpret what I wrote via your own outlook. Let people make of it what they will. You are close to libel.

Also I don't believe, objectively, that any current model I've used or read about has "high latency".

Maybe the boox is the best. But there is no objective proof in the video, nor is it an appropriate medium ON IT'S OWN for a review.
I for one don't understand what you are trying to convey, and have stated as much. Why don't you clarify your statements?

How can you say that no model you have used "objectively" has "high latency"? For that to be objective you'd have to define the term. Is it >100ms? More? Less? You also haven't presented how you've done your measurements.

My Deep Guide has done objective measurements and presented them in milliseconds. You have done no such thing. You might disagree with his methods or findings; if so, please, state what he did wrong. He has presented both his method and findings. You haven't presented anything but your subjective assessment, while still criticizing him for not being objective.

And I don't understand why you're dead against these findings being presented in a video. If I do an experiment and present the findings in a video - are they suddenly worthless? Are they better and more "objective" being presented in text form? What is your point here?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:43 PM   #32
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
How can you say that no model you have used "objectively" has "high latency"? For that to be objective you'd have to define the term. Is it >100ms? More? Less? You also haven't presented how you've done your measurements.
Yes, Kobo has objectively higher latency than Boox/Remarkable/Supernote based on Voja's tests, but you can't objectively say whether it's too slow unless you have some sort of study indicating that latency > n ms feels slow to people, or something like that. Voja can rank devices in terms of latency, but whether any particular device feels too slow is a matter of the user's subjective preference.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 11:31 AM   #33
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, Kobo has objectively higher latency than Boox/Remarkable/Supernote based on Voja's tests, but you can't objectively say whether it's too slow unless you have some sort of study indicating that latency > n ms feels slow to people, or something like that. Voja can rank devices in terms of latency, but whether any particular device feels too slow is a matter of the user's subjective preference.
That's precisely my point. It's easy to say that something objectively has higher or lower latency; but "high" and "low" are subjective terms, unless specifically defined.

The Android readers have objectively worse battery life in most use cases than Kindles - but is it "bad"? That would depend on the criteria that every person stipulates for their own use case. (Just see all the discussions about the battery life on the Sage.)
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 03:09 PM   #34
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
EMR for the win, potentially paired with a Lammy pen. Staendler are also quite good

Obviously EMR works best on regular android or high specific application frameworks like the Kindle or Remarkable. The PITA with e-ink android is that the low latency mode doesn't work with 3rd party apps, and even when it seems to work "better" with some apps than others all of it is based on a stack of hacks, that makes the feeling quite a crap.

Boox devices are, IMHO, poor platforms for a variety of reasons, but their notes app and Neoreader behave quite well for note taking, highlights and annotations.

About Non-EMR technology. Both N-Trig and AES are good. The ipad pencil is also quite good. USI stylus are NOT good by any metric

The issue I found with non-EMR devices is the need to recharge the pen, the difficulty to scribble rect lines at a moderate speed. They're also usually more expensive and there're few devices compatible with them, so less products on the market.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:20 PM   #35
mattosc
mattosc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for broad answers in this thread. I'm pondering between Elipsa 2E and Scribe, but differences between sideloading and doing notes confuse me.

For books the annotation differences are all clear, but for notes and sideloaded documents I have questions:

Elipsa 2E

– As of dec 2023, is it still so that you can't change pen size and stuff when annotating/highlighting PDF's? This has been brought up in online reviews back in spring, but there must've been an update after. Sometimes papers have a lot of text, and thus you have to use a thinner pen setting.

Scribe

– I'm confused how the sent PDF's and epub's work on Scribe; apparently the pen editing options come up differently between what format is used (AZW3 or KFX etc.), what conversion method is used and what transfer method is used (Send-to-Kindle/Calibre & USB). So how does it work?

– Can you store and export notebooks locally or am I forced to use Amazon's cloud routes? On Kobo I've read I can export locally and opt-out from cloud.

Also open for suggestions for other models, but they're quite hard to get in Europe and I also want to be able to read books (epubs) without a larger hassle.
mattosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:05 PM   #36
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For your needs, I'd recommend checking out the Remarkable 2 or the Onyx Boox Note series. They fit your criteria well, especially the size, handwriting overlay, and note organization.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote