Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 08:10 AM   #1
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
10,3” ereaders too big for comfortable reading (page width)?

Dear owners of 10" ereaders

I have been considering the purchase of 10,3” ereader (possibly one of Onyx Boox models). I don’t need a reader for pdf texts.

I have some doubts about the comfort of reading on a bigger screen. I like bigger fonts and I find them more comfortable to read.

However, I am afraid that the page width will be too big for comfort and fast reading. Obviously I can add much bigger margins to shorten lines but it will be a waste of space. Eventually, it leads to the practicality of such a purchase. To buy a bigger screen and then waste space for much bigger margins only to keep the comfort of reading?

I don’t mind the weight and the size of 10,3’ ereaders, I only have some reservations about the comfort and speed of reading with longer lines.

Can anyone please comment on this issue?
I will be very grateful for any comment.

Last edited by Percivale; 01-02-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:24 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You could use in Landscape with 2 page view (assumes 2 up supported)?

A 7" device is slightly wider that the typical paperback TEXT Area *the bezel provides the typical page white space (page margins).

So this begs the question, why spend the extra for a bigger screen unless you need bigger text because of vision issues? (you did state not needed for PDF )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I only use my 10.3″ eink to proof PDFs for POD or a few PDFs that I can't read on the 8″ Sage (which has more pixels!).

I find 9.7″ and 10.3″ too big and heavy compared to 8″ as well as lines too long unless I set big margins. I have also 7.8″, 7″, 6″ and 4.7″ eink. The 8″ 300 dpi Sage is used for almost all my reading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:32 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
First, I do not have a 10" reader, but I plan on purchasing one in the future (for my mother).

To me "bigger fonts" and a larger reader go hand in hand. Maybe increase line spacing so going to the next line is easier, although if the font is "big", then line spacing would be big also.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:14 AM   #5
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Dear owners of 10" ereaders

I have been considering the purchase of 10,3” ereader (possibly one of Onyx Boox models). I don’t need a reader for pdf texts.

I have some doubts about the comfort of reading on a bigger screen. I like bigger fonts and I find them more comfortable to read.

However, I am afraid that the page width will be too big for comfort and fast reading. Obviously I can add much bigger margins to shorten lines but it will be a waste of space. Eventually, it leads to the practicality of such a purchase. To buy a bigger screen and then waste space for much bigger margins only to keep the comfort of reading?

I don’t mind the weight and the size of 10,3’ ereaders, I only have some reservations about the comfort and speed of reading with longer lines.

Can anyone please comment on this issue?
I will be very grateful for any comment.
I always say the same thing: a person who is used to reading physical books will have no problem using a 10" e-reader, either in single-column portrait or two-column landscape mode. If you prefer to use large fonts, a 10" e-reader is a very good option (I use "small" fonts and I am equally satisfied). Contrary to what is often claimed, I believe that reading on a 10" e-reader is the closest to reading a physical book (in landscape two-column mode it looks like a small open book, and in portrait single-column mode it looks like a page in a large book), which does not mean that a person has to prefer them to other smaller sizes as there are many factors to consider. But to answer your specific question (not my personal preferences) in my opinion you won't have any problem with the page width for a satisfactory reading.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:22 AM   #6
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

here's a different opinion - 10" readers are indispensable for PDFs and comics (and that's after every possible trick via zooming/cropping with the help of KOReader). I would not read those on a smaller screen, and even the extra 2 inches from a 8" reader are very noticeable here (and for the record, my eyesight is fine).

however, they're quite heavy and wide, which makes significantly less nice to, say, read in bed. so if I were to read mainly ePUBs again I would definitely choose a smaller device.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:23 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Also, if you have access to a computer or tablet, you could simulate a 10" reader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 10:47 AM   #8
Percivale
Connoisseur

Thank You very much for great feedback.

I am looking forward to more replies.

Once again I will amplify: I am thinking about the issue if 10.3 screen size matters when it comes to ease of reading epubs? I don't mind weight and size.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:13 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Once again I will amplify: I am thinking about the issue if 10.3 screen size matters when it comes to ease of reading epubs? I don't mind weight and size.
It depends on your personal preferences. There are posters here who prefer to read on 10'' devices, posters who prefer to read on 6'' devices, and anything in between. There is no "one size fits all".

My preferred size is 7'' or 8''; I don't want a larger device, nor a smaller one either. YMMV.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:28 PM   #10
Percivale
Connoisseur

I refer to the thesis that the optimum line length for reading speed is claimed to be fairly low.

Do you agree with the above?
Old 01-02-2024, 12:38 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I refer to the thesis that the optimum line length for reading speed is claimed to be fairly low.

I tend to disagree with that thesis. For me, I don't find a wider line width causing me to slow down noticeably when reading for anything narrower than a broadsheet. OTOH, I am an outlier when it comes to reading speed so YMMV.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:18 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

No idea, as I hate reading narrow columns and avoid them wherever possible. And reading speed doesn't matter to me; I only ever read for pleasure.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:08 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

It would have to be a LOT wider to slow me down.
By a LOT, I mean over 36" wide, requiring me to turn my head to see the rest of the line.

60+ years has slowed me down (quite a bit) from the days in high school where I read at 800wpm (the teacher made me take the test again as I was twice as fast as the next person in class)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote