Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #1
HarryEngineer
Enthusiast
HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.

Device: supernote
Exclamation Which 10"+ for writing & highlighting ontop of PDF and EPUB

Sorry for another thread guys, but this one is more laser targetted criteria.

My main concern is the organizational useability of notes and highlighting

IE having to open up every book and manually look for notes wouldn't be efficient, but having an interface that shows this document(PDF or EPUB) has x amount of notes, and then lists them, would be better.

it seems the Kobo Elipsa 2E is good for PDF but apparently lacks with EPUB?
The remarkable 2 seems to have the lowest latency and accuracy when using the pen.

The Supernote may also be an option, and am open to more?

What are your thoughts when it comes to ecosystem note and highlighting management?
HarryEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:57 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Elipsa 2E doesn't lack on epub. It's like all the other Kobos, which are best for epub & calibre, but like Sage also has pen notes, advanced notes and on book (epub or PDF) drawn pen annotation. I just find the Elipsa too heavy for reading or proofing novels or a lot of writing.
Sage/Elipsa also have ability for folders for notes. Kobo has the best integration with calibre (metadata, text annotation/highlight/bookmark export by two methods, reading status, reading position, collections, series).

PDF itself is terrible. I only use it to mark layout/format errors. All content proofing is on epub. Of course you may have 3rd party PDFs.

The reMarkable (either version) is only a sketch pad and PDF reader. Zero metadata. Slower pen capture (pen capture and screen update are not always the same thing) and accuracy, no text conversion on board, so last FW I used added touch keyboard. Also only 6G vs 32 G storage and only one document at a time via web browser (USB Networking or WiFi only). No epub (it's converted to PDF!).

Sage vs either Elipsa:
8″ vs 10.3″, but more actual pixels! Pen sold separately.
Otherwise everything is the same. Almost all the Kobos are the same for epub.

I sometimes add just a number in epub using text keypad and then an advanced notebook of the same name if I want a huge amount of writing converted to text, otherwise I type.
I also might write new material from scratch. I always export to docx before exiting a notebook or a swipe down to jump back to epub.

All the Kobos let you see the annotations and calibre can export per book or all depending on using Kobo Utilities or Annotations tools.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryEngineer View Post
Sorry for another thread guys, but this one is more laser targetted criteria.

My main concern is the organizational useability of notes and highlighting

IE having to open up every book and manually look for notes wouldn't be efficient, but having an interface that shows this document(PDF or EPUB) has x amount of notes, and then lists them, would be better.

it seems the Kobo Elipsa 2E is good for PDF but apparently lacks with EPUB?
The remarkable 2 seems to have the lowest latency and accuracy when using the pen.

The Supernote may also be an option, and am open to more?

What are your thoughts when it comes to ecosystem note and highlighting management?
I can only speak for Boox. There the notes show up separately in the Content section in Neoreader (the in built reader software) - divided by TOC, Bookmarks, Annotations, Handwriting.

In the Annotations one can further choose to filter by type, e.g. to only show curly underlines or only straight underlines, etc. The list shows the underlined text, any comment you've made to it, the date and time it was made and the page number where it's located in the text. The interface shows the total number of annotations. When filtering it shows how many annotations there are of each type.

In Handwriting it shows miniature screenshots of the pages scribbled on and their page number.

This overview has worked great for me so far. But I'm not a huge note taker. I've yet to experiment with the annotations filter, which seems very useful at first glance.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:15 AM   #4
HarryEngineer
Enthusiast
HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.HarryEngineer can eat soup with a fork.

Device: supernote
thanks guys for the useful input!
HarryEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote