Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2023, 07:19 AM   #1
BringReadingBack
BringReadingBack began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
Seeking The Best Cross Platform Syncing Ereader Application

Hello,

I have an Android E-Ink Onyx Boox Note 2, an Android Phone, a Windows PC, and an old Macbook. I use them all, and would like to be able to read ebooks, make highlights and notes/annotations on all devices, where the highlights, annotations and reading positions are all synced across them.

TL;DR:
Anyone who has already done the legwork on this, can you advise on what the best cross platform Ereader is (Android, Windows, Mac; IOS would be a nice additional option in case I get an IOS device, but not presently needed)? And why you think it's the best?

What I've looked at so far:

FBreader with FBreader Network, linked to Google Drive seemed like a good bet. I'm experimenting with it at the moment. Unfortunately I can't seem to annotate on the Windows App. I think I'm going to create a separate post asking about that to see if I'm missing something.

BookFusion seems like a good bet too. But the Onyx/E-ink reading experience isn't the best in the world, and whilst it's great that they have a free option, the pricing compared to FBreader + GDrive subscription is a lot more expensive.

Syncthing: I was trying to figure out if there was a way to do this with Syncthing, but presently no luck on that front.

This older thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337518 suggests:

Amazon Kindle App

Google Books

Both of these seem like potential options, but obviously very corporate. If it's still an issue, the limitation of 1000 non-google books for Google Books isn't good, and I don't like the sound of how the Amazon Kindle books are stored all in the cloud.

They also mention Moon Reader Pro with Sync. However, whilst I have managed to download Moon Reader for my Windows PC through the Microsoft Store and something that automatically opens it as if it's an app, I cannot get it to work. The root directories/storage folders in the app don't seem to align with the PC folders, though I could be missing something; overall, it's a bit of a headache of an experience.
BringReadingBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 11:15 PM   #2
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Not sure if you are the same user or just a coincidence. See the responses from others that have done some legwork already. https://www.reddit.com/r/BookFusion/...to_bookfusion/
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote