Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-20-2016, 04:24 AM   #16
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
About the multicolumn mode, in the thread for the N98/ML :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimi View Post
One of Thailand website provide preorder for N96 and N96ML
https://www.hytexts.com/buy_N96.php
The website also preview N96 model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WeiE5DU880
The video on Youtub show, between 2 min 51 s to 4 min 10 s, a multicolumn mode. Not like the M92 where you can select the area, but it's only a demonstration.

If the N98/ML has this feature, the Max Boox could have it.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:52 AM   #17
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
About the multicolumn mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can't find one.

Hi, Nate,

I am glad you have received my sample and are testing it now.

Concerning multicolumn mode. If you want tor read your fiction novels (EPUb or FB2 formated) in two columns in landscape mode, just open them with Oreader, go to settings->properties->show columns and select two columns in landscape mode. Afterwards, when you change to landscape mode (using rotation function in menu) your book will be displayed in two columns.

Concerning keyboards. Why do you want to use USB keyboards with this device. Much more convenient is to use Bluetooth keyboards. I have tested different BT keyboards with additionally installed External Keyboard Helper app and everything worked just fine.

The only problem of enabled BT mode of Onyx is that it currently prevents from automatic stand by / power off, so you must switch it off of manually. We are working on it.

Concerning A2 - it is special displaying mode for some situations (like browsing animated content etc. ) . Not for regular use (reading ebooks).

The software and UI are understandably not final and our team is working on ergonomical adaptation for the size of the screen.
I was also missing in first days of testing the ability to control the screen using fingers. It is just matter of habit. The dual touch Max is on schedule for next year. However our 9.7" devices could be also controlled by buttons or pen and it was still very demanded.

Please share with us your impressions and suggestions. We will very appreciate it!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-20-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I tried a USB keyboard because that's what i have on hand. I don't have a BT KB.

And as for testing other things, that won't be possible. The Max died (I already sent you an email).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #19
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
I tried a USB keyboard because that's what i have on hand. I don't have a BT KB.

And as for testing other things, that won't be possible. The Max died (I already sent you an email).

Concerning BT keyboards it is indeed not the main purpose of the Max, but believe me it works just fine.
When you try to power on Max now do the blue LED on bottom edge of the device go on or just blink three times or remains off? It could be a signal of to deeply discharged LiPo battery and charging with lower current (i.e. on USB port of a PC) could in most cases recover it.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
Quote:

Ok the Max dying is a bit of a confidence shaker
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #21
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Concerning keyboards. Why do you want to use USB keyboards with this device. Much more convenient is to use Bluetooth keyboards. I have tested different BT keyboards with additionally installed External Keyboard Helper app and everything worked just fine.
Maybe because for a BT-Keyboard additional batteries are required. I wish it would support USB keyboards as well.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Maybe because for a BT-Keyboard additional batteries are required. I wish it would support USB keyboards as well.
That's why I don't have a BT keyboard.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:

Concerning A2 - it is special displaying mode for some situations (like browsing animated content etc. ) . Not for regular use (reading ebooks).
Because a USB keyboard is lower power than a BT keyboard. BT requires the e-reader to run BT (takes power, and is probably slower response time).

Quote:
Yes, but they also want to use the device for no-flash text-editing (or I do, anyway). If text editing doesn't need no-flash, fine, but I don't know.

Please be aware that many people want to work and do text-processing on e-ink, not LCD. They want to either attach a keyboard and text-process without flashing, or use it as a secondary screen for their computer (again, without flashing). This is a significant market, especially for larger e-ink screens.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #24
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Please be aware that many people want to work and do text-processing on e-ink, not LCD. They want to either attach a keyboard and text-process without flashing, or use it as a secondary screen for their computer (again, without flashing). This is a significant market, especially for larger e-ink screens.
Yes, it could be fantastic to be able to do this. But don't forget the aim of this device : read. My aim is to read on a big screen (bigger than the M92) many types of documents (PDF, EPUG, PNG, etc ...). I prefer have a good device to read, than a device with many features and not efficient in reading.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Hi Booxtor, I got my M96 last November and I must say, I love it, money well spent, and your service is excellent. I use my M96 everyday, it became a part of my daily commune, and the software is great - could be a little better if it can save my navigation settings as a preset

Now, as much as I really wanted to have the 13.3" (and still do), I can't imagine how I'm going to hold it with one hand in the tram, something I can do with the M96, my concern is not the size, but the page turn, without touch screen or turn buttons, it seems very difficult.

I hope the next iteration - the one without touch screen - will come sooner, also if I may suggest (PLEASE) make it lighter, 350-400g and thinner, it doesn't have to be a super computer, it's just has to be a good reader, which it's already is.

Sorry if I sound a little hard, I'm not, I just really wanted this reader, and waited for it, and now I have to wait again.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
Alexandros
Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexandros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3, DXG, sony prs-t2
Well, i can only support what Rizla said about the use of an e ink reader as a device for writing text/ use as a secondary screen.

As i have written in another thread i had ordered the Dasung monitor for doing specifically that, since i'm a programmer experiencing eyestrain looking at an LCD for hours... That didn't work out very well and i got a money refund.

I can confirm that there is a niche market for this type of usage for e ink devices. I know that others who are interested in the Dasung monitor are waiting to find out whether the Onyx Boox Max can be used in such a way although it is primarily targeted to another market segment, because the Dasung monitor currently faces concerns on quality issues.

So to make a long story short, it would be very useful for people like me, to see a video about the performance of the Onyx Boox Max in a2/quick mode with a keyboard (even a BT one with no lag). Remember for this kind of use quick refresh is more critical than best quality.
If it could also work as a secondary display (there are relevant android apps) that would be really great.

Big e ink screens are opening many possibilities.. Thanks and sorry for the long post
Alexandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #27
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Further points in defense of USB keyboards

A basic problem is that the range of quality (eg. mechanical) bluetooth (BT) keyboards is very limited. Take, for instance, the Filco Minila Air which is one of the few such keyboards in production. It is both very expensive and doesn't even have a standard key layout because, for whatever reason, they felt they needed to make it unusually small.

Another solution is to use some sort of Bluetooth (to USB) hub or adaptor but again here the options are very limited in number, expensive and have their quirks (certain key combinations do not work etc). Such devices also do not look to be very convenient.

Perhaps the most basic problem is that people have to put together these workarounds in spite of the fact that the hardware can clearly support USB host mode. The resistance to this is all firmare/software related.

I'm certainly glad that it does at least support BT keyboards but there is little that is ideal about them.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #28
Naimi
Naimi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Excuse me Nate the great
Where is your video review for Max 13.3?
We are waiting forward to see it and knowing your opinion.
Thanks
Naimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #29
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimi View Post
Excuse me Nate the great
Where is your video review for Max 13.3?
We are waiting forward to see it and knowing your opinion.
Thanks
LOL. Four posts and you 'demand' a review. You should work on your manners.

For a good deep review enough time is needed.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #30
Naimi
Naimi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sorry, I don't meant any disrespect to you.
Actually, The video review will be much helpful.
Thanks to you again
Naimi is offline   Reply With Quote