Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2023, 07:07 PM   #5956
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My Kobo purchase history shows 71 books purchased in 2023, so with Amazon and Smashwords, I'd be close to 80, I think. It might be time for an intervention after all.
Are you reading those books or adding them to Mount TBR to be read if and when, if ever, time allows?

If you are reading them, no intervention needed.

If you are collecting/hoarding them, an intervention is probably needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:38 PM   #5957
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Of the books I paid for this year, only one remains unread, and that's a full-series omnibus edition.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 08:56 PM   #5958
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you reading those books or adding them to Mount TBR to be read if and when, if ever, time allows?

If you are reading them, no intervention needed.

If you are collecting/hoarding them, an intervention is probably needed.
In that case, the jury is still out - more than half have been read, and several of the remainder have been assigned spots in specific reading challenges for 2024.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 04:58 AM   #5959
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An excellent question, which although not directed to me, caused me to check.

I have read 8/8 of the freebies I've picked up in 2023, and read 66/132 books bought this year.

Most of the unread books are parts of series that I don't want to read all at once.

I'd say I should avoid the big special offers, but I have to admit that the Sandman graphic novels (ca. 15) and the Seanan McGuire novels (ca. 26) have been really good buys....

I shall still try to do better next year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 10:44 AM   #5960
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've bought 64 books this year, 5 of them by accident*, and there might be a 65th before the end of the day. Bundles have been my downfall once again, accounting for 21 of the books, but in the grand scheme of things I have spent less and probably got more out of reading than all my other hobbies.

Too many of them are distant series books. I will try to do better next year. It's not a bargain if I never read the books.

*I bought a Hellboy comics bundle, which turned out to include 3 anthologies and 2 novels. (I don't count comics, although that is possibly another problem area where I buy way more than I read.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 12:04 PM   #5961
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The last book I bought this year I paid full price for. It is Iwo, 26 Charlie the tenth book in P. T. Deutermann's WWII series. So far I think it is one of his best.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:07 PM   #5962
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Ending the year with 179 owned but unread ebooks and paperbooks. I began with 183 and acquired 16 newbies. Of these owned books I read 20.

Boring numbers:
Spoiler:
Overall, I read 90 books of which 39 were borrowed, 20 were owned, 11 were audiobooks either borrowed or owned, and 20 were advance reader copies.

I'm sticking with my goal of only buying books I plan to read right away, even if they’re not on sale.

01/31 - 181
02/29 - 181
03/31 - 182
04/30 - 182

Last edited by wandalynn; 04-30-2024 at 09:31 AM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:58 PM   #5963
Vaalberg
Vaalberg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I only paid for about ten books this year (not many compared to other years), but I read them all. Quite a satisfying year, I'll try to read more in 2024.
Vaalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:06 PM   #5964
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I've got 5,998 in my Kindle library, at least a couple dozen being duplicates that somehow didn't say "you purchased this on...". Of those, obtained from Oct. 20, 2008 to now, at least 98% and probably more, were freebies obtained through Amazon emails and various other emails. I don't count the free as they not only take up no space but also no money. I've got a Kobo Sage that arrived a few minutes ago, an upgrade of an AuraOne, and have 187 books in Kobo, again around 99% free. I generally start a few books before finding a finisher. So no, I'll never read them all, abandoning many and having surplus, but I only count the ones I pay for. Two at 99c each December to now.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:49 PM   #5965
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I've got 5,998 in my Kindle library, at least a couple dozen being duplicates that somehow didn't say "you purchased this on...".
May not be the same Kindle, but on Kobo store, that happens on occasion when the publisher replaces the edition. I've gotten recommendations for books I already own.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:31 PM   #5966
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
The year's not even 100 hours old and I've already made my first purchase, one that's many times the price of my usual buys. Lasciate ogni speranza!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	English Around the World.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	205534  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:20 PM   #5967
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
2023 was a disaster as far as lowering my TBR. I will do better in 2024. Ebooks/magazines 1,950, Audiobooks 1,349. There is some duplication and some are whispersync so title on both lists. I'd say easily 8 solid years of reading/listening though. It's so easy to do with digital because it doesn't take up space on the bookshelf. However, even getting the books at excellent discount, my vet bills are going up for my 4 elderly cats so a lot less will be available to spend on books/audiobooks.

Edited to add: I'm unable to add my link for 2024 due to too many characters. Does anybody have a link on how I can make these links shorter?

Last edited by Tarana; 01-03-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:50 PM   #5968
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Edited to add: I'm unable to add my link for 2024 due to too many characters. Does anybody have a link on how I can make these links shorter?
There are multiple ways to shorten links but, if I recall correctly, shortened links are not permitted on MobileRead. A quick internet search on link shortening will give you a decent selection of sites such as ow.ly, Bitly, TinyURL, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:26 AM   #5969
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I've edited your signature for you.

Although I didn't think there was a character limit on signatures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #5970
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've edited your signature for you.

Although I didn't think there was a character limit on signatures.
Thanks so much! I very much appreciate your magic!!! It kept coming up as an error saying I was limited to 1000 characters. Even better, it's now one row instead of my staggered rows.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote