Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2024, 05:55 AM   #1
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Desktop Sign in Nightmare

Trying to sign in my wife's Kobo and I am now getting

"Wait! You are using two different accounts Kobo Desktop signed in as ****@****
ereader signed in as ****@****"

Which doesn't make any sense at all as they are exactly the same emails.

She can sign into the Kobo webpage using her email and password, but the Kobo Desktop app just comes up with that error message.

Been on a chat with Kobo now for nearly two hours, uninstalled, reinstalled the Kobo Desktop, updated billing address, tried on my laptop, (same error).

It's taking about 15 minutes a time just to read my responses in the chat box.

Not much anyone here can do, but I need the rant...

It's been 23 minutes now from my last response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo 12.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	207422  
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:00 AM   #2
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

It's now been two and a half hours
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 06:54 AM   #3
Chocky
Addict

45 minutes just to read my last response, which only asked for information that I had already given.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:09 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Why bother with Kobo Desktop?

I've 5 kobos in use and setup Kobos for 7 other people. None of us use the Kobo Desktop.

I've also bought ebooks from Kobo.

I've updated FW via WiFi and also USB Cable.

There is no operation to do with a physical Kobo or the Kobo web site that needs the desktop.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #5
Chocky
Addict

Tried signing out in the ereader and signing back in, had to go through the whole setup again, but at least I can sign in now to the Kobo Desktop

Currently importing content, which is taking ages, hope all the books are still there.
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #6
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why bother with Kobo Desktop?

I've 5 kobos in use and setup Kobos for 7 other people. None of us use the Kobo Desktop.

I've also bought ebooks from Kobo.

I've updated FW via WiFi and also USB Cable.

There is no operation to do with a physical Kobo or the Kobo web site that needs the desktop.
Only thing I use it for is updates
Old 04-08-2024, 07:42 AM   #7
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Tried signing out in the ereader and signing back in, had to go through the whole setup again, but at least I can sign in now to the Kobo Desktop

Currently importing content, which is taking ages, hope all the books are still there.
Is there a link to show me how to update firmware, doing what I was told has lost all the series information, and reset all the books to unread.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:48 AM   #8
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Is there a link to show me how to update firmware, doing what I was told has lost all the series information, and reset all the books to unread.
OK, think I've got it https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347154
Old 04-08-2024, 08:11 AM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Only thing I use it for is updates
No need for that. Download the firmware for your device, plug your device in, and extract the zip to the .kobo subfolder. It'll start installing once ejected.

Quote:

Quote:
Your database got reset by signing out and back in. On Calibre, Kobo Utilities can be used to backup reading positions and restore them.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-08-2024 at 08:15 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:39 AM   #10
Chocky
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
No need for that. Download the firmware for your device, plug your device in, and extract the zip to the .kobo subfolder. It'll start installing once ejected.

Your database got reset by signing out and back in. On Calibre, Kobo Utilities can be used to backup reading positions and restore them.
Unfortunately I hadn't backed up in Calibre as it was my wife's Kobo and I'm not sure how to have two Kobos, but I will find out and do it from now on.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #11
Chocky
Addict

Well, that was easy, wife's Kobo now backed up.

Luckily she was OK about only loading those books/series that she new she hadn't read.

About 30 books, so that'll keep her going for a while

I'll now forget about Kobo Desktop, I'll remove it from my PC as I will not be using it again.