Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 05:15 PM   #2551
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Eh, I don't think we have to get judgemental.
Asking Jon not to be judgemental is like asking the sun not to shine.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:24 PM   #2552
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Let's avoid the personal, please. Restrict comments to posts and not the posters. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 04:33 AM   #2553
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
You might like Proper English by KJ Charles. Early 1900s, a house party where one of the guests is found murdered, and two of the guests falling in love while sleuthing. It's mainly a romance, but the crime mystery is also good.
I might. However I was referring to the Romance novel that's structured like a cosy detective, not one with a detective mystery, thus:
The protagonist has a HEA with one of the characters, who must be introduced at the start (The perpetrator needs introduced at the start, not last chapter), but you don't know at least in 1st chapter who it might be.
Not clear at the start who are friends or enemies (c.f. allies & criminals).
Loads of believable red herrings, other possible love interests (other suspects).
Clues that the reader spots and other clues the narrator sneakily keeps secret (Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie and for Romance, the unreliable narrator, one of the Brontë novels).

Thusly more complex than simply couple meet and the plot is only how they get the HEA (see most romcom films: The Shop Around the Corner, Youve got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, One Fine Day, While you were Sleeping etc, though some of those have more complexity, but obvious enough).
Some of the Mary Burchill books have pretty complex plots, and some have good "red herrings".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:08 PM   #2554
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I swear all my Overdrive holds all pop up at the same time.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:08 PM   #2555
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I might. However I was referring to the Romance novel that's structured like a cosy detective, not one with a detective mystery, thus:
The protagonist has a HEA with one of the characters, who must be introduced at the start (The perpetrator needs introduced at the start, not last chapter), but you don't know at least in 1st chapter who it might be.
Some of the Mary Burchill books have pretty complex plots, and some have good "red herrings".
Sounds intriguing. I don't think I've read any books like that, the closest I've seen are book with love triangles. Can you recommend a good book with this structure, by Burchill or someone else?
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 07:47 PM   #2556
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
From Mary Burchell and some were on offer at Amazon

Somewhat in "A Song Begins" (Warrender Saga 1), but others are more complex.

I read the first and thought and said to the Lady, "How can you make an HEA into a series?"
Well, you can. But I won't explain. After the 2nd one I quickly bought 20 more!

"On the Air" (obviously set in 1950s BBC, and it was still a bit like that in 1970s when I worked there, very realistic). Burchell Romance [5]

Nightingales (Warrender Saga 11)
On Wings of Song (Warrender Saga 13)

She also has characters from a book do cameos in other books
"Under the Stars of Paris" (Florian 1)
"Paris - and My Love" (Florian 2) is a sequel but a different set of characters in same setting (maybe 10 years later?) having a romance.

"On the Air" is obviously between Florian 1 & 2 and unconnected, except the dress designer is interviews on the "National TV Station" (BBC is never mentioned).

Make sure you are charged, fed and will have no interruptions.

A few have somewhat unlikely plots. "When Love is Blind", OTOH I might have read a Regency setting (either Joan Aiken or Georgette Heyer) with a similar idea, and plenty books from both of those and Mary Stewart are a bit mad. Some of Aiken's Regency novels are as dark as some of her darker Crime novels. She certainly didn't just write for young people. (Wolves/JamesIII and others). Not many people know she was nearly as expert on Regency as Heyer expert on Jane Austin.

There are of course plenty of combined actual detective/mystery & romance set in Regency to 1930s and some are contemporary, or nearly so to the period (Wilkie Collins).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:18 PM   #2557
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A few years ago, I picked up a series starter on Kobo. I just read it and enjoyed it enough to look into the rest of the series, only to find the author had since went exclusive with KDP Select.

Since I boycott Kindle, guess I won't be reading any more.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 AM   #2558
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A few years ago, I picked up a series starter on Kobo. I just read it and enjoyed it enough to look into the rest of the series, only to find the author had since went exclusive with KDP Select.

Since I boycott Kindle, guess I won't be reading any more.
That does suck when an author screws over the readers. #

Who is this author so I make sure never to read his/her books?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:40 AM   #2559
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I don't blame the author so much - they have to eat too. I blame KDP Select program and that anti-competitive exclusivity clause.

This was the book. The book itself was pretty silly and definitely not fine literature, but honestly kind of fun to read

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-18-2024 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:41 AM   #2560
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:

So big authors that can afford to publish on all platforms (and make Amazon a lot more money in the process) are ok, while small authors that go exclusive are viewed as greedy? corrupt? and boycotted Nice.
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:42 AM   #2561
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
This was the book. The book itself was pretty silly and definitely not fine literature, but honestly kind of fun to read
I can see how that could be a fun read. But to jump ship and screw the readers, that is a huge no way.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:44 AM   #2562
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
So big authors that can afford to publish on all platforms (and make Amazon a lot more money in the process) are ok, while small authors that go exclusive are viewed as greedy? corrupt? and boycotted Nice.
If you own a Kobo and you don't have a Kindle, you don't have any way to download it and put it on your Kobo.

Any author that's exclusive to Amazon is meh!
Old 04-18-2024, 06:46 AM   #2563
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

The author has every right to do whatever they want with their books. If they earn more in KDP Select, who are you to tell them they should be content with less?

It's not like their books aren't available. They're available at Amazon and can even be deDRMed. If someone decides not to buy from Amazon just on principle, why should that concern others, including the author?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:47 AM   #2564
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
If you own a Kobo and you don't have a Kindle, you don't have any way to download it and put it on your Kobo.

Any author that's exclusive to Amazon is meh!
Yes, but what you're proposing is to avoid those author's books that *can* be downloaded to your Kobo
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 06:50 AM   #2565
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Yes, you do. The Kindle for PC method and the Kindle for Android method.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote