Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 07:02 AM   #2521
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It was bad when Amazon/publishers started putting part of blurb into book title. But what madness is it to use that exactly as a filename?

I can save a filename with a ":" in it on Linux, but rsync backup will fall over.

Note to self: don't just shorten file names but make sure no stupid characters. They should get lessons from Kovid Goyal.
They should get lessons from those of us who edit eBooks to do the formatting/code correctly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:52 AM   #2522
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What book is this in case I can get it from the library?
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. I read it on paper long ago, and as I planned to read the rest of the series, I bought all of them as ebooks, but haven't gotten around to them before now.

Anyway, I fixed the TOC. Fortunately it's easy to do in Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 08:13 AM   #2523
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Anyway, I fixed the TOC. Fortunately it's easy to do in Calibre.
But why would you want to? I never read or used the TOC in paper books, and I don't do so now. I read my books from beginning to end, and my ereader keeps my place in it. TOCs are an irrelevance to me.

What am I missing?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:24 AM   #2524
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
But why would you want to? I never read or used the TOC in paper books, and I don't do so now. I read my books from beginning to end, and my ereader keeps my place in it. TOCs are an irrelevance to me.

What am I missing?
I often go back to look up something I read before, when I want to refresh my memory. Granted, my memory is rather poor. Sometimes I use the search for this, but sometimes the TOC, or the chapter jump (which also doesn't work without a TOC).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:30 AM   #2525
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Ah, yes, the chapter jump can be useful sometimes. Not enough for me to fix a TOC if there isn't one or if it's broken, though.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 09:47 AM   #2526
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I never read or used the TOC in paper books, and I don't do so now.
I like to have the chapter title in the footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wager.png
Views:	49
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	207525  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:50 AM   #2527
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I often go back to look up something I read before, when I want to refresh my memory. Granted, my memory is rather poor. Sometimes I use the search for this, but sometimes the TOC, or the chapter jump (which also doesn't work without a TOC).
And sometimes chapter titles will have a date in them in a multi-timeline story. I find that useful.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 12:59 PM   #2528
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I would really like to punch publishers (or authors, in the case of self-publication) who miscategorize their books.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 02:40 PM   #2529
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I would really like to punch publishers (or authors, in the case of self-publication) who miscategorize their books.
I suspect it's a marketing thing. If there's a remote smidgen of a genre, tag it with that genre just so it comes up in searches. Never mind it's historical fiction, if there's a mention of science or witchcraft, add to science fiction and fantasy.

It's one of the reasons I rarely go for more modern books.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:37 PM   #2530
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
It seems like every Science Fiction book is also categorized as Fantasy.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 09:31 AM   #2531
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
It seems like every Science Fiction book is also categorized as Fantasy.
Apache
Sometimes the other way around too.

Also, I dislike how often science fiction, fantasy, and horror all tend to end up grouped together. yes, they're all speculative fiction, but if I want to read one type I don't want to have my results cluttered up with the others.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:16 PM   #2532
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Also, I dislike how often science fiction, fantasy, and horror all tend to end up grouped together. yes, they're all speculative fiction, but if I want to read one type I don't want to have my results cluttered up with the others.
I think this stems from Brick & Mortar Retail. They were almost always grouped together as they used to be a smaller fiction offering than other kinds.

The practice just never changed.

But...

Space travel and Magic are still a common theme
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 02:38 PM   #2533
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Yes, and sometimes horror and fantasy together, and you can have horror with no more fantasy than any detective, romance or western.

Also loads of Fantasy fans have no interest in Horror.

But there is a spectrum of SF & F. Some SF has only a few or one fantasy elements (real hard SF with no fantasy at all is rare). There is Dune, which is very like Fantasy. Earlier Pern books only SF by virtue of the Prologue. Then there is Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality series, practically the original SF + Psychic powers.
Space Opera going back to the origin with 1928 EE "Doc" Smith (Skylark uses Iron as fuel and he certainly knew it was the most impossible fuel! An "in" joke?) and 1930s movie shorts Flash Gordon as much Fantasy as SF. See also Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Capek's RUR and Lucien's true history.
It's easier to find Fantasy with no SF or Horror elements than SF without Fantasy, though loads of SF has no actual magic or psychic powers. But much fantasy in SF is "magic by another name" (see TV Tropes). Is the original Alien Movie SF or Horror? It's really horror in an SF setting. Dark Star is comedy with a largely SF setting.

The Morgaine Cycle by C. J. Cherryh are very like Portal Fantasy, but like Pern have an SF element.

Eddings sticks in an SF element in one of his novels (maybe one of the Elenium), but otherwise they very traditional fantasy.

Fantasy might have no magic. In SF magic is usually called psychic powers, or there is impossible nanotech, or impossible AI. Of course each author having star travel has three options:
1) A Generation ship. "Hard SF"
2) A ship with hibernation (actual cryogenic is fantasy, but hibernation/coma is real).
3) Handwavium FTL, either by really going faster and ignoring relativity, or a sciency version of fantasy portals (worm hole is fantasy variation that would destroy any real structure), or skipping to an alternate kind of space for a short cut.
1 & 2 are not popular as you can't have the space equivalent of 16th to 19th C Earth travel and exploration, at least not easily with the same characters for a series.
Have as few unlikely handwavium as possible in the SF if you want it very SF and not like Pern, Dune, Starwars, or Star Trek (one of the worst for inherently fantasy elements, not even consistently done), see Simak's Waystation for a possible inspiration of the Transporter (in it it's practically the single fantasy element and a maguffin to make the story possible.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-14-2024 at 02:41 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:01 PM   #2534
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Even worse is a tacky romance that the author has used SF or fantasy elements so it can be stuck under SFF/Fantasy when really, it's a really tacky romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:51 PM   #2535
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even worse is a tacky romance that the author has used SF or fantasy elements so it can be stuck under SFF/Fantasy when really, it's a really tacky romance.
And I like my romances done like a golden age cosy detective story and a HEA. Not tacky. The setting doesn't matter as long as it is properly done.

See "Riders of the Purple Sage" by Zane Grey for a Western with other genres in it. I think on Gutenberg.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote