Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 10:20 AM   #2566
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I don't blame the author so much - they have to eat too. I blame KDP Select program and that anti-competitive exclusivity clause.
Yes, I agree. I could understand if being part of KU blocked them from also being part of Kobo Plus. But being forbidden from even selling their books, full price, on another site is anti-competitive.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #2567
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes, I agree. I could understand if being part of KU blocked them from also being part of Kobo Plus. But being forbidden from even selling their books, full price, on another site is anti-competitive.
They can't even give them away on their own site!

I'm convinced KU is oversold and that KDP Select is not clearly explained.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:08 AM   #2568
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Authors have gotten pulled from KDP Select after their books showed up on illegal piracy sites.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #2569
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I don't blame the author so much - they have to eat too. I blame KDP Select program and that anti-competitive exclusivity clause.

This was the book. The book itself was pretty silly and definitely not fine literature, but honestly kind of fun to read
FUN Reads are what I mostly want. Long past are the days of 'must read to stay employed'.
OK I am a bit weird. I still RTFM on my new goodies.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #2570
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The author has every right to do whatever they want with their books. If they earn more in KDP Select, who are you to tell them they should be content with less?

It's not like their books aren't available. They're available at Amazon and can even be deDRMed. If someone decides not to buy from Amazon just on principle, why should that concern others, including the author?
But what's wrong with going both ePub and Kindle? That gives you a bigger audience.

I think this author went Kindle Unlimited so that's why no more ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #2571
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, you do. The Kindle for PC method and the Kindle for Android method.
And how many know of this? Most don't. We aren't like most.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:49 AM   #2572
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Authors have gotten pulled from KDP Select after their books showed up on illegal piracy sites.
That is wrong especially when the author is not at fault.
Old 04-18-2024, 12:11 PM   #2573
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But what's wrong with going both ePub and Kindle? That gives you a bigger audience.

I think this author went Kindle Unlimited so that's why no more ePub.
That's exactly what happened. Kindle Unlimited is only available to most authors via KDP Select, with an exclusivity clause. (Bigger publishers have their own agreements.)
Old 04-18-2024, 01:33 PM   #2574
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They can't even give them away on their own site!

Or even have them found on a pirate site. Several authors have had Amazon drop them from KU when that has happened.

Sample link: Amazon Punishes Authors Whose Work Is Pirated, Due to Aggressive Exclusivity Clause
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 01:44 PM   #2575
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I disagree with the point the author makes there in article - rather than arguing that maybe the anti-competitive exclusivity ought to be dropped, they argue for stricter "anti-piracy" measures - which means stricter and anti-consumer DRM.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:44 PM   #2576
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And how many know of this? Most don't. We aren't like most.
There is a difference between what people might not know and what is true. At least qualify your statement instead of spreading FUD. Please.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:00 PM   #2577
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm betting most authors know more about this than either of us and obviously find KU worth the attached hassles.

There are many articles out there about indie authors debating the merits of Amazon exclusivity versus 'going wide.' The articles tend to be written after they have tried both.

I don't like Amazon's exclusivity. It's bad for readers and it is at the very least some aggressive arm-twisting for the authors forced to abide by it (I doubt any would chose exclusivity if it weren't tied to being in Kindle Unlimited).

But I do not think that Amazon is 'tricking' authors into signing up for it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:24 PM   #2578
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
I'm betting most authors know more about this than either of us and obviously find KU worth the attached hassles.
I emailed the owner of DMR Books to ask if he could make the Renegade Swords volumes eligible for purchase directly from his website, because I wanted DRM-free EPUBs and I wasn't happy with the MOBI files that I was getting from running KindleUnpack against the Amazon copies.

Mr. Ritzlin indicated that he could not, as those three volumes were available on KindleUnlimited. While sympathetic, he stressed that the sales he was getting from those books on KU dwarfed the number of people buying the books directly from the publisher website.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 03:27 PM   #2579
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Quote:
I swear all my Overdrive holds all pop up at the same time.
Oh man. I thought that only happened to me!

Except for that one book that I really want to read. The availability estimate on that one remains stubbornly at "about 16 weeks".

Last edited by Croptop; 04-18-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Croptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #2580
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Books on my wishlist no longer go on sale. Ever. Not one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote