Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is faster for selecting text?
The touch screen sony is much faster, duh. 4 66.67%
The Kindle is plenty fast to scroll down and highlight 1 16.67%
Something else 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Douglasco
Douglasco began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon monopoly or touch screen?
700 or K2 for highlighting, capturing & take notes + whole family

This will be my first reader. Currently i use a pen scanner for all my books to capture excerpts for taking notes. Rarely do i actually type anything in, its all from the book. So to me the qwerty keyboard and the virtual keyboard(w/predictive txt) are about equal.

My main concern is that the touchscreen on the 700 will make it much much faster then using the controls on the kindle to select text! What do you guys think? But it does seem the software on the kindle is set up better for taking notes.

Theres only one other big deciding factor for me. I have big family and we like to share with each other what we read, and sometimes i'll just give them my notes. So i'm very excited about the potential of having up to 6 devices on one account. Sony and amazon both allow 6, but that doesn't mean they are both as conducive to this kind of information sharing. I don't see where you can upload or backup notes on sony's site.

And I still have no idea which one has more books, after all the hacks of course. Fiction/novels aside. Any idea?

Then there are the other factors:
K2 has no card slot!
K2 plays mp3's but not really(not a player)!
I find it highly ironic and hypocritical that they chose to be proprietary(azw) but yet they profiteer off Wikipedia

But then i go to the sony site to try to learn about it and i'm reminded why i have always hated them as it is cluttered with unnecissary flashy features. I guess that is why I just laugh and shake my head when someone said I didn't buy that one because it was just plain ugly.

Last edited by Douglasco; 02-22-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Douglasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
Douglasco

So now i understand that with a Kindle you can only highlight and clip whole lines, not partial ones. Thats sad

Maybe i need to figure out how to use a Sony on an Amazon account!
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglasco View Post
So now i understand that with a Kindle you can only highlight and clip whole lines, not partial ones. Thats sad
It's true on the Kindle 1... the kindle 2 will let you clip/highlight partial lines.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Douglasco

So you can CLIP a partial line on the kindle 2? Someone just said you can only clip a whole page on the kindle 1
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Yes, on the original Kindle you can clip a whole line... or, now with the software update... you can one-click-clip the whole page.
I have no experience with Sony. Good luck.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
With Kindle 2, your control on the highlight is word-based. With Kindle 1, your control on the highlight is line-based.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
If note taking and annotation is very important to you, you really should consider an LCD touchscreen device like a PDA. They can be had for about the same price (or less, especially used) as an eInk reader.

These will be much more useful for notes, especially if you take a lot. You won't get the daylight screen readability that makes eInk so popular, but a PDA, smartphone, or mobile internet device (MID) is a lot better adapted to creating content, rather than just reading it. Personally, I prefer a PDA for writing. The 3.5" screen on a typical PDA is just a little more comfortable than the 2.8" screen on my smartphone. On the other hand, my smartphone was a free 2-year upgrade. That's a hard price point to beat.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Remember, if someone says this is how it's don on the K1 and you want to know how it's done on the K2, you need to make sure what's being said is about the K2 and not K1. The software on the K2 is different and may work differently hence the highlighting on the K2 vs the K1
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote