Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
69carat
69carat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Libra H2O or Kindle Paperwhite???

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and after reading a little bit about the ereader i would like to finalize my purchase with you help !

I would like a e reader to use the dictionary to help me read non native languages without pausing my read and google the word i do not know.
Also for travel it will prevent me to carry 2 books if i have almost finished the first one.

To be honest i was about to buy the kindle paperwhite until i learned about the Libra H2O...

PS : I listen to Audiobook via my phone

Which one would you recommend between the Kobo libra H2O or the latest Kindle Paperwhite ?

See below my pro/ cons list :
Kobo Libra H2O :
Pro : 7" screen for pdf reading, warm light to limit eye stain, button
Cons : pricier than the kindle and cover price $40

Kindle Paperwhite :
Pro : Price $90 in sale, Very popular
Cons : blue light

Thank you for your help!
69carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you read at night and the warm light is important to you, I'd go with the Kobo. The higher price is not as big of a deal if you figure over the 5-8 years you will use the device.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
69carat

From this perspective you are right the price difference is not that important over the years.

What about the Kobo vs the Kindle experience ?
The way to handle the kobo with its asymmetric shape ?
Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69carat View Post
From this perspective you are right the price difference is not that important over the years.

What about the Kobo vs the Kindle experience ?
The way to handle the kobo with its asymmetric shape ?
The Libra is the same shape as the Oasis 3. Also, Kobo has (IMHO) better reading software. You don't need a special format to get "enhanced typesetting". That's built into RMSDK. And you can control collections from Calibre as it's not closed like the Kindle. You also get the comfort light and waterproofing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If dictionary use is important, with the Kindle you can buy additional dictionaries, and they integrate into the reading app.
With Kobo you can install your own dictionaries, but the process is more complicated.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If dictionary use is important, with the Kindle you can buy additional dictionaries, and they integrate into the reading app.
With Kobo you can install your own dictionaries, but the process is more complicated.
And, from what I have read, the dictionaries on the kindle are better.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Another thing you may wish to consider: library support. I don't know if you're in the United States or not. If you're not, you won't be able to use a Kindle to borrow library books.

I'm in Canada, and the ability to borrow e-books from my local library and read them on my Kobo is one of my favourite things about the Kobo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
And, from what I have read, the dictionaries on the kindle are better.
And from my use, the Koo dictionary is just fine. I rarely look up a word that doesn't exist in the dictionary.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And with Kobo, you can get "enhanced typesetting" using standard ePub. You do not need a format designed to keep you locked in (KFX). Plus, the firmware was recently updated and is now even better.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
69carat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Another thing you may wish to consider: library support. I don't know if you're in the United States or not. If you're not, you won't be able to use a Kindle to borrow library books.

I'm in Canada, and the ability to borrow e-books from my local library and read them on my Kobo is one of my favourite things about the Kobo.
I currently live in the US but I am originally French and who knows where I will live in 2 years from now ?!

I am not very familiar with borrowing ebook with local librairie but I will definitely look into it! Thanks
Old 09-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
69carat

For what you are saying JSwolf, Kobo looks made for reader and are dedicate more time on the design of the software than Kindle. Kindle is may be more about the Amazon world ?
Old 09-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And from my use, the Koo dictionary is just fine. I rarely look up a word that doesn't exist in the dictionary.
This has been my experience too - although the Kindle dictionaries ARE more comprehensive, the Kobo default is more than adequate, with the rare exceptions being easily handled by reaching for my phone. That said, I'd still love it if Kobo closed the gap a bit in this one area where Kindle outshines it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
For what you are saying JSwolf, Kobo looks made for reader and are dedicate more time on the design of the software than Kindle. Kindle is may be more about the Amazon world ?
It's a matter of taste. I have several Kindles and a Kobo and the software on both is fine by me. Kobo offers more options and customizations, but I wouldn't say it's miles better than the Kindle software. Both have their good and not so good sides.

Now the Nook software is definitely worse than Kobo or Kindle. Software, not hardware.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Kobo software has more options and more features and is better then the Kindle software. The hardware of the Libre H2O is almost the same as the Oasis 3. The biggest differences are in the software. Kobo readers ePub. Kindle reads Mobi, KF8, & KFX.

If you live outside or the US and have access to a library that support Overdrive, then a Kobo is much better as you can borrow eBooks for free and read using the Kobo.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
69carat

I don't currently leave outside of the US but i think i am more and more interested by the kobo. I started reading few topics on the forum about the patches, and koreader for reading pdf and kobo look like a good asset.