Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
bengunn
bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Ereader Original
Please help with registering kobo device

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I have searched this forum and the entire web for DAYS and can't get this to work. Can someone help me pleeeease? I bought a used Kobo Ereader Original from a neighbour. I have installed Adobe Digital Editions 4.5, and the newest Kobo desktop app. With Adobe D E, I installed the ereader under my account. Several times, successfully. But I can't use my Kobo Desktop App because it keeps saying my Kobo ereader is registered to my neighbour, not to me. EVERY instruction on the net telling how to change the registration to my own email address is wrong. I can't figure out how to do it. Please, someone. Help help help! before there's yet another Kobo on yet another bonfire.
bengunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I bet Your Neighbor has to un-register first (he should have done that)

I know this is true for Kindles, this is how they block Lost an now FOUND kindles.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengunn View Post
Sorry, sorry, sorry, I have searched this forum and the entire web for DAYS and can't get this to work.
What you haven't seemed to search for is the Kobo section of the forum, which can be found here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Surely there's a way to do a factory reset on the Kobo device, no?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
deleted since GeoffR was able to provide more accurate info below.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-01-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Deleted misleading post that doesn't apply to the Kobo Original device.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-01-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: delete
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's hard to believe that someone would actually "buy" one, but if you take this part at face value, "Kobo Ereader Original" those instructions are probably incorrect.

Unfortunately, I don't think I ever even registered mine back when I had one, so I don't know the steps.. but since the device would have no wifi, everything would have to be done through the Kobo Desktop application on the PC.

Edit: Here's the manual for the original Kobo reader. *If* this is indeed the device in question, instructions to perform factory reset are on page 61.

http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...r_guide1-5.pdf

Last edited by rashkae; 05-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's hard to believe that someone would actually "buy" one, but if you take this part at face value, "Kobo Ereader Original" those instructions are probably incorrect.
You're right, I didn't read the post properly. Things are probably different for such an ancient device. Sorry about that bengunn.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard

One problem might be that those old devices are not supported by the latest Adobe Digital Editions. The help pages for the Kobo Original on the Kobo website suggests installing ADE version 3.0 here, but you might want to try an earlier version such as 2.0.1 or 1.7.2.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't try ADE 1.7.2 as that doesn't work in some cases. Use ADE 2.0.1. You can get ADE 2.0.1 here from Adobe.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #11
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I think it's worth mentioning, installing Calibre and the Apprentice Alf plugins, (google search, that's as much as we are allowed to say here.)... and these registration hassles will be solved permanently.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think it's worth mentioning, installing Calibre and the Apprentice Alf plugins, (google search, that's as much as we are allowed to say here.)... and these registration hassles will be solved permanently.
That's my preferred method for getting ebooks onto my ereaders.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:45 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Quote:
That's my preferred method for getting ebooks onto my ereaders.
That's my preferred method for purchased books but I have moral issues with removing DRM from library books so I stick with ADE for those occasions where the ebook is not borrowable though the KA1's Overdrive intergration.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's my preferred method for purchased books but I have moral issues with removing DRM from library books so I stick with ADE for those occasions where the ebook is not borrowable though the KA1's Overdrive intergration.
Good point. Had thought the discussion was about getting purchased books from Kobo onto the device.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
bengunn
bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bengunn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Ereader Original
Thank you all for your time and effort taken in replying to my question. I now have several angles to attack the issue from, and I am grateful indeed for the advice.
bengunn is offline   Reply With Quote