Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 04:05 PM   #1
bheeshmpita
Enthusiast
bheeshmpita began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Please guide a new kindle user how to setup without amazon account

Hi there. I have bought a new kindle (still on its way). Please help me how can i do initial setup without logging into amazon account and possibly jailbreak it if the firmware isnt the recent one.
device: kindle paperwhite 11th gen
bheeshmpita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:02 PM   #2
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Start the setup and get to the point where it wants to connect to WiFi. Press back and it should give a new option to Skip. That should take you right to the Home screen.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2024, 06:31 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And you LOSE features that you'll not be able to use. You need to register with an Amazon account.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 05:02 AM   #4
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Since the intention is obviously to jailbreak the device, he or she will gain features, not lose them, should the jailbreak succeed.

Even if a jailbreak is not possible, if the features you lose are not the ones you need, it's perfectly ok not to use an Amazon account.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheeshmpita View Post
Hi there. I have bought a new kindle (still on its way). Please help me how can i do initial setup without logging into amazon account and possibly jailbreak it if the firmware isnt the recent one.
device: kindle paperwhite 11th gen
I doubt you can jailbreak. You Kindle is most likely too new.

What version firmware do you have?
Advert
Old 05-05-2024, 05:18 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Since the intention is obviously to jailbreak the device, he or she will gain features, not lose them, should the jailbreak succeed.

Even if a jailbreak is not possible, if the features you lose are not the ones you need, it's perfectly ok not to use an Amazon account.
I'd just so much easier to properly register and never turn on WiFi.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:17 AM   #7
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd just so much easier to properly register and never turn on WiFi.
Unfortunately, this is useless if you want to use features that can only be achieved with a jailbreak.

If it's all about privacy and a jailbreak is not possible, then simply disabling wifi is enough. I agree with you there.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:48 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
Unfortunately, this is useless if you want to use features that can only be achieved with a jailbreak.

If it's all about privacy and a jailbreak is not possible, then simply disabling wifi is enough. I agree with you there.
The thing to remember. Is if you turn WiFi on jailabroken or not, you risk losing side loaded eBooks.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:15 AM   #9
bheeshmpita
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I doubt you can jailbreak. You Kindle is most likely too new.

What version firmware do you have?
Hi @JSWolf @Frogm4n @trekk , thanks for your replies.
The device was received today and firmware ver is 5.15.1.1 so i think it can be jailbreaked with LanguageBreak jb.

I'm new to this thing (ereader and jb) so please help me by guiding me so that i dont commit any silly mistake. I have gone through jb instructions at LanguageBreak github page.

Here are some of my queries:
1. At present, the interface doesnt let me come out of the sideloaded ebooks when i read them ie there is no back button to come to the library/home screen and there no toolbar that lets you change font size, orientation etc. Is this due to the fact that i havent registered the kindle. How can i fix this after i have jb this device.

2. My primary aim for jb is to install koreader and send the files wirelessly (i think there is an option within the koreader for that). After jb does it matter whether i register this kindle to amazon or not? Once registered can i remove the amazon account too?

3. does jb voids that warranty? Can amazon know that i have jb the kindle? Can jb be removed if i need to send the device to amazon for the warranty (or the device gets bricked while jb)?

4. In languagebreak jb troubleshooting section the author mentions "This method works best around firmware version 5.16.2. Consider updating to this version to avoid compatability issues." Should i consider this before jb or only when such situation arises.

5. What is the purpose of KUAL? Does it help in installing software apart from reader (as i am not interested in them) or is it something else?

6.What can be done to disable auto update of kindle?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2024, 11:54 AM   #10
bheeshmpita
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheeshmpita View Post
Hi @JSWolf @Frogm4n @trekk , thanks for your replies.
The device was received today and firmware ver is 5.15.1.1 so i think it can be jailbreaked with LanguageBreak jb.

I'm new to this thing (ereader and jb) so please help me by guiding me so that i dont commit any silly mistake. I have gone through jb instructions at LanguageBreak github page.

Here are some of my queries:
1. At present, the interface doesnt let me come out of the sideloaded ebooks when i read them ie there is no back button to come to the library/home screen and there no toolbar that lets you change font size, orientation etc. Is this due to the fact that i havent registered the kindle. How can i fix this after i have jb this device.

2. My primary aim for jb is to install koreader and send the files wirelessly (i think there is an option within the koreader for that). After jb does it matter whether i register this kindle to amazon or not? Once registered can i remove the amazon account too?

3. does jb voids that warranty? Can amazon know that i have jb the kindle? Can jb be removed if i need to send the device to amazon for the warranty (or the device gets bricked while jb)?

4. In languagebreak jb troubleshooting section the author mentions "This method works best around firmware version 5.16.2. Consider updating to this version to avoid compatability issues." Should i consider this before jb or only when such situation arises.

5. What is the purpose of KUAL? Does it help in installing software apart from reader (as i am not interested in them) or is it something else?

6.What can be done to disable auto update of kindle?

Thanks
I have reposted this in a more appropriate section here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=361021
Please share your responses.