Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2024, 02:36 PM   #91
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
I can’t find a good side by side comparison of the Paperwhite vs. Oasis but in addition to the buttons I really like the Oasis display.
I liked the Oasis display too... until I got the Kobo Libra 2. The display on my Libra is miles better, both contrast/sharpness and frontlight. Ofc the Oasis still has some advantages - it's lighter, faster, the buttons are better. But oh that screen on the Libra... I fell in love with it immediately.

Not all people were lucky with their Libras, though - apparently some devices have green-tinted frontlight. The light on mine is perfect, however. My Oasis 3 was yellower (when not using the warm light) and it bothered me in some environments.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-23-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:39 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I liked the Oasis display too... until I got the Kobo Libra 2. The display on my Libra is miles better, both contrast/sharpness and frontlight. Ofc the Oasis still has some advantages - it's lighter, faster, the buttons are better. But oh that screen on the Libra... I fell in love with it immediately.

Not all people were lucky with their Libras, though - apparently some devices have green-tinted frontlight. The light on mine is perfect, however. My Oasis 3 was more yellower (when not using the warm light) and it bothered me in some environments.
The display of the PW5 is better then the Oasis.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 02:50 PM   #93
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You've seen both side by side?
Old 02-23-2024, 03:24 PM   #94
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Which Oasis?
The gen 1 seems to be a Voyage with buttons, it's only 6"? Though I've never seen one.
The gen 2 I had, side by side with PW3 was similar, just 7" instead of 6" The PW4 was OK, but not quite as good as the PW3 side by side with front light off.

I don't know what the gen3 is like.

Also there seems to be more variation in quality on the same model with eink than most other display technologies. The eink panels also seem to have a calibration factor.

I also only ever compare using same ambient light, never the frontlight as there is too much variation on those on same models and between models.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-23-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:35 PM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Which Oasis?
The gen 1 seems to be a Voyage with buttons, it's only 6"? Though I've never seen one.
The gen 2 I had, side by side with PW3 was similar, just 7" instead of 6" The PW4 was OK, but not quite as good as the PW3 side by side with front light off.

I don't know what the gen3 is like.

Also there seems to be more variation in quality on the same model with eink than most other display technologies. The eink panels also seem to have a calibration factor.

I also only ever compare using same ambient light, never the frontlight as there is too much variation on those on same models and between models.
The gen 1 was not the Voyage with buttons. The contrast on the Voyage was considerably better. The gen 3 was better contrast-wise than 1 and 2, but not as good as the Voyage, or the Sage and Libra 2.
Advert
Old 02-23-2024, 04:27 PM   #96
Ebookus
Grenadier
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I think i just lost all respect after this comment. No, it isn’t. As far as kindles are concerned in terms of sharpness and contrast:

Voyage = oasis 3 > pw3 > basic 2022 > pw5 > > kk > original kindle > anything printed with Gutenberg’s printed press > monkey typing random words on a typewriter > schoolboy with terrible penmanship > pw4
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:34 PM   #97
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I agree with Sirtell on the screens. I've had most of these devices and oasis 3 falls below voyage, Libra 2 and Paperwhite but the form factor, warm light and way font is displayed (compared to kobo) makes me use it the most lately. Earlier oasis models fell way below Voyage.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:50 PM   #98
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
I think i just lost all respect after this comment. No, it isn’t. As far as kindles are concerned in terms of sharpness and contrast:

Voyage = oasis 3 > pw3 > basic 2022 > pw5 > > kk > original kindle > anything printed with Gutenberg’s printed press > monkey typing random words on a typewriter > schoolboy with terrible penmanship > pw4
The contrast on the Voyage and on the Oasis 3 is by no means the same; the Voyage is noticeably better. OTOH, the Oasis frontlight is much nicer than that of the Voyage.

Anyway, there may well be variations between individual units, so maybe your Voyage is on the same level as the Oasis as far as the contrast goes. Mine was clearly sharper.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:21 PM   #99
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The gen 1 was not the Voyage with buttons. The contrast on the Voyage was considerably better. The gen 3 was better contrast-wise than 1 and 2, but not as good as the Voyage, or the Sage and Libra 2.
I have a Libra 2 and a voyage. I think the voyage has better contrast and clarity. I still haven't seen anything that equals the voyage's screen. I'd still be using it if it were 7"

This is my biggest frustration. Eink HAS made small advances. Yet somehow no one has seen fit to match the image quality of a device many generations ago

Last edited by Barty; 02-23-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:22 PM   #100
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I have a Libra 2 and a voyage. I think the voyage has better contrast and clarity. I still haven't seen anything that equals the voyage's screen. I'd still be using it if it were 7"

This is my biggest frustration. Eink HAS made small advances. Yet somehow no one has seen fit to match the image quality of a device many generations ago
Yes, the Voyage had better contrast than the Libra 2, but the difference wasn't all that big, and the frontlight (at least on my Voyage) was a lot worse. I also didn't like the Voyage ergonomically - the lopsided shape of the Libra suits me far better.

The Libra 2 is good enough that I don't miss the screen of the Voyage at all.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:34 PM   #101
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
To my eyes my Oasis 3 and Paperwhite 5 are pretty much comparable for screen quality and clarity, I can't tell a difference. I never owned a Voyage, so I can't compare that. Both my Oasis 3 and Paperwhite 5 have better screen for me than my Paperwhite 4.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:37 AM   #102
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Hmm. Could you add a photo or a link of the stand you use, please? I'm having difficulty imagining a suitable stand for reading on a sofa, for example. I do use a stand for my laptop on a small side table, but of course the screen of the laptop is twice the size of my ereaders.

My situation is different because I’m disabled and short. This is the stand I use. Plenty of people use floor tablet stands to hold their Kindles.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:34 AM   #103
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
My situation is different because I’m disabled and short. This is the stand I use. Plenty of people use floor tablet stands to hold their Kindles.
Thank you.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:43 AM   #104
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's probably toodle-loo and chow-chow-chow time.

I like mine, and just bought a gorgeous cover, which gives it new 'life' and 'fun-dability' when handling. Great cover. See here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VXD1J2K...roduct_details

-------

Jiust bought the Scribe, too, but that's for another thread.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-25-2024 at 09:48 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:49 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's probably toodle-loo and chow-chow-chow time.

I like mine, and just bought a gorgeous cover, which gives it new 'life' and 'fun-dability' when handling. Great cover. See here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VXD1J2K...roduct_details

-------

Jiust bought the Scribe, too, but that's for another thread.
Looks nice. Which color cover did you get?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote