Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #76
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Oasis line seems to have been quite popular. Not as popular as the Paperwhite line, of course, but still, there have been many posters here owning one. I wonder if there will be something to replace it or if the Scribe was meant to do so.
I wonder how many were buying the Oasis, however, once the latest PaperWhite came out. Effectively the same size and so much cheaper; what price buttons?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #77
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wonder how many were buying the Oasis, however, once the latest PaperWhite came out. Effectively the same size and so much cheaper; what price buttons?
Not many, I think, as the Oasis was already more than 2 years old then and Amazon never upgraded it. Why buy an older device that's a lot more expensive? I guess there were folks who waited for a new Oasis, but eventually had to either get the PW or be content with their existing Oasis.

Luckily for me, Kobo released the Sage and the Libra 2 at the same time as the PW5, so I didn't have to make that choice. I just switched fully to Kobos.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2024, 04:57 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've never used an ereader without buttons. Since I started to read ebooks (2011) there has always been something with buttons (non-touch Kindles, then the Voyage, then the Oasis line, then Kobos starting with the Libra 1 - I never used the Forma).

If a day arrives without any buttoned ereader in existence, I guess I'd be forced to do without. But not by choice.
I would like an Aura H2O type design in an 8" screen with a faster processor and more powerful battery as well as a Carta 1300 screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:18 PM   #79
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Personally I would like for Amazon to support Bluetooth page turners instead of adding buttons. That could be done with software on existing devices. Then I could set the Kindle on my lap or in a stand and use the tap of a finger to change the page without needing to actually touch the device. (Lazy I know!)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:38 PM   #80
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Personally I would like for Amazon to support Bluetooth page turners instead of adding buttons. That could be done with software on existing devices. Then I could set the Kindle on my lap or in a stand and use the tap of a finger to change the page without needing to actually touch the device. (Lazy I know!)
Not an option for me, as I'm nearsighted.
Advert
Old 02-22-2024, 08:19 PM   #81
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
If a day arrives without any buttoned ereader in existence, I guess I'd be forced to do without. But not by choice.
Luckily, your existing readers probably won't spontaneously combust if/when Amazon/Kobo discontinue all the models with buttons.

Quote:
Your vision must still be pretty good for you to use the tiny font I've seen in your screenshots.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:34 PM   #82
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Your vision must still be pretty good for you to use the tiny font I've seen in your screenshots.
It is, with glasses and at close range. The greater the distance, the worse it gets. Without glasses I can't see much farther than the tip of my nose. The upside is that I can still read microscopical print at my age (over 50) when I take my glasses off and hold the text right against my nose. Like the ingredients on food packaging, for example.

Ofc I could use larger font to hold my ereaders on my lap or in a stand, but I don't really want to do that. My current font feels comfortable while holding the device in my hand and I'm used to it.
Quote:
Luckily, your existing readers probably won't spontaneously combust if/when Amazon/Kobo discontinue all the models with buttons.
Let's hope not. I wouldn't wonder if Amazon managed to accomplish this, though.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-22-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:29 AM   #83
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had an Oasis for a few months, and it just was not comfortable for me. The buttons contributed to that somewhat as I could not operate them and hold it in a relaxed way, and it was hard to avoid using them. Not ergonomic for my hands.

I have a couple of PocketBook readers and the buttons are much more to my liking: they let me hold it comfortably whether I use them or not.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 04:46 AM   #84
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

Same! I’d love to not need to clip my page turners to my Kindle! They wouldn’t even need to make themselves. They could have Anker do it for them or some other partner do it for them. Then we could have a page back button that works. I’m so sick of hearing about not being able to page back.

I don’t think it’s lazy at all. It’s efficient. Why hold a device when you don’t have to?

Quote:

I’m extremely nearsighted and I still read with a page turner. The trick is to use a stand that holds the Kindle close to your face. As long as my Kindle is close I can read on size 1. When it’s sitting farther away, because I’m eating, I read on size 5. I turned 40 in September and I got a boost in the lower part of my lenses that makes text more sharp. Old people glasses are awesome!
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:11 AM   #85
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I’m extremely nearsighted and I still read with a page turner. The trick is to use a stand that holds the Kindle close to your face. As long as my Kindle is close I can read on size 1. When it’s sitting farther away, because I’m eating, I read on size 5. I turned 40 in September and I got a boost in the lower part of my lenses that makes text more sharp. Old people glasses are awesome!
Hmm. Could you add a photo or a link of the stand you use, please? I'm having difficulty imagining a suitable stand for reading on a sofa, for example. I do use a stand for my laptop on a small side table, but of course the screen of the laptop is twice the size of my ereaders.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:54 AM   #86
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
I'm having difficulty imagining a suitable stand for reading on a sofa, for example.
Or in bed.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:05 AM   #87
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Yeah. The question is, will they make a comeback in the near future or has Amazon decided Kindles no longer need them, ever?

The Oasis line seems to have been quite popular. Not as popular as the Paperwhite line, of course, but still, there have been many posters here owning one. I wonder if there will be something to replace it or if the Scribe was meant to do so.
Ugh, the Scribe is not a suitable replacement. Nothing against the device, but not everyone wants one that large. It doesn't have buttons, and it's not waterproof. A lot of differences. It's a cool device but not the same market for it that I see. Unfortunate decision by Amazon.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #88
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A lot of Oasis fans were not buying another (such as me) because the devices last so long. Mine is still going strong so no reason to buy another right now.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:18 AM   #89
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
A lot of Oasis fans were not buying another (such as me) because the devices last so long. Mine is still going strong so no reason to buy another right now.
I can’t find a good side by side comparison of the Paperwhite vs. Oasis but in addition to the buttons I really like the Oasis display.

Last edited by JoeC; 02-23-2024 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 12:47 PM   #90
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Or in bed.
I'm using a stand in bed. For me, looking on Amazon would turn up a lot of hits.

As far as a stand for a chair, I'm happy with what I have. And if I had a Bluetooth page turner, I would consider an articulating arm.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote