Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Voyage out of stock at Amazon UK

Amazon don't seem to have enough Voyages to meet the demand: the WiFi model is now showing "1 to 2 month" availability; the 3G model is "in stock on 8th December"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Probably not the first time they've thought they had enough and found out that they needed more of a particular kindle than they had.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
They always run out in the pre Christmas period. Like any new device is popular for presents.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
They always run out in the pre Christmas period. Like any new device is popular for presents.
True, but doing so 1 day after it goes on sale is unusual.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but doing so 1 day after it goes on sale is unusual.
I think it was wrong of Amazon not to say when the pre orders ran out. I doubt it went out of stock yesterday. As I recall the original Paperwhite was out of stock for ages after it was released and the pre orders ran out within days of it going on pre order.
Advert
Old 11-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I re-ordered on 10th Oct, after having cancelled my original September order, and was surprised to get it on the release date. That would suggest a late surge in orders.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would suggest a late surge in orders.
Or they've used part of the stock originally allocated to the UK to supply replacement units to the US
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Or they've used part of the stock originally allocated to the UK to supply replacement units to the US
Or two other things

1) they did indeed find a bad batch and removing them from the supply chain caused the sharp delays

Or

2) the favourable reviews posted after the 21st October caused the late surge in orders.

Either way surely it's better to wait and be sure of a decent screen than to rush the orders and send out potentially faulty (or not desirable) orders. Personally I'd like to think Amazon took a good look at Qualty Control and that's the delay cause which would make me feel better if I ever decide to get one.

Last edited by Josieb1; 11-05-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Either way surely it's better to wait and be sure of a decent screen than to rush the orders and send out potentially faulty (or not desirable) orders. Personally I'd like to think Amazon took a good look at Qualty Control and that's the delay cause which would make me feel better if I ever decide to get one.
Amazon has probably already sold thousands of the Voyage in the USA and many buyers are pleased as witnessed by the reviews. Amazon simply sold out in the UK.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Personally I'd like to think Amazon took a good look at Qualty Control and that's the delay cause.
Nah, no chance given than the two-toned screen is now referred to as "normal" by CS... I'm still likely to skip this release and see what next year brings.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Nah, no chance given than the two-toned screen is now referred to as "normal" by CS... I'm still likely to skip this release and see what next year brings.
As is always the case, the overwhelming majority of pictures of "bad" screens that people have posted look absolutely fine to me. I guess I'm just not sensitive to the issue.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As long as I can keep my fingers off the buy button that's my plan too.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I would imagine that this is a lot of guess work on amazon management. They need to estimate how popular the new model will be based on the demand for the previous models and sometimes history provides a guide to the future and sometimes it doesn't help at all.

My question for forum members is this: Think back over all of the prvious years that you have been buying and using kindles, how frequently have you seen amazon under estimate the demand for a new kindle product?

Did the under estimation of the demand happen last year when the 2013 paper white was announced? I recall forum members saying the under estimation happened when the 2012 paper white was anounced. How about before that? Think about what is sometimes called new product introductions? This years introduction of the voyage is a good example of a product introduction as well as the introduction of the 2012 paper white. How about when the first model of kindle was introduced? Although at that point the kindle did not have the following that it does today.

Based on what forum members have told me in the past Amazon tends to under estimate the demand when they introduce a new product. Thus Amazon's performance during hte introduction of the voyage really comes as no suprise. Based on previous behavior of amazon I expected amazon to under estimate the demand, so I was advising friends to wait a few months before placing an order for the new product expecting Amazon to underestimate the demand.

Last edited by jbcohen; 11-05-2014 at 08:01 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Beyond any underestimating on their part, they might simply be constrained by the amount of the new screen that can be produced, I seem to remember that was an issue on some of the previous models too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Mine seems to be lost, and the replacement will be sent to me just as if I had ordered today and not the 20th Sept.... sigh..... 16 Dec.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote