Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 04-02-2024, 12:57 PM   #1
beaLollina
Enthusiast
beaLollina began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lightbulb A small stop at the end of the chapter

Hi, that's why I recently asked about the possibility to show progress bars on the footer (I discovered thanks to this forum members that the possibilities are endless! and that's great )

I needed it because I found that the and of each chapter was a bit "slippy" (it tends to go immediately to the next page without any resistance)

Even with the progress bars, though, there's still this problem- i wish that the end of the chapter would stay a little bit longer when I scroll it.
A sort of interruption, that keeps the very end of the chapter stopped for at least a few seconds (that would mean just ignoring one or two "scroll down" commands shortly repeated, I guess). This could prevent moving onto the next page accidentally by scrolling down at a normal speed. (with mouse wheel, or scrolling bar, or down button)

That would be useful even when I reach normally the end of the chapter simply reading it, or navigating through the various sections of the book. It would be useful if I just need to find the source link in a news feed, and various other occasions.

I looked in the preferences panel, to find something similar, but it's not in the "optimizations" part. How do I change this preference, if existing? (and if not.. I think it would be a good thing to add)

(An alternative to the "organic" interruption would be to add, by preference or default, some blank space at the end of every section, so it would be easier to stop scrolling before reaching the next page. )
beaLollina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 04:09 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Simply switch the Viewer to Paged Mode (the Icon is a old Scroll)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2024, 06:00 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is also a keyboard shortcut to toggle between Paged and Flow modes, default is Ctrl+M. Handy if the toolbar is hidden.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:12 PM   #4
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Hi, I just hoped that through some preference panel I could make the program ignore a couple of down commands, from whatsoever button/ mouse wheel etc, so I would have an additional and practical way to stop scrolling before going to the next chapter too fast (it's not a real problem, more of a suggestion for an intuitive reading experience, I guess. When reading even if I 'm well aware of what point of the reading section I am at, it could happen many times that one single down input makes disappear the whole screen, it's frustrating after a while . (abrupt change of subject or even risk of spoilers, sometimes) And that's why I said that if this is too much struggle to make (I don't know anything about programming solutions etc), even a blank space placed at the end of each chapter would do perfectly the job, making the reader notice it before the page is turned.

Last edited by beaLollina; 04-02-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:43 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@beaLollina - did you try switching between Paged and Flow modes? And if you did, what difference did it make?

BR
Advert
Old 04-02-2024, 07:46 PM   #6
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There is also a keyboard shortcut to toggle between Paged and Flow modes, default is Ctrl+M. Handy if the toolbar is hidden.

BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Simply switch the Viewer to Paged Mode (the Icon is a old Scroll)
Quote:
@beaLollina - did you try switching between Paged and Flow modes? And if you did, what difference did it make?

BR
it scrolls differently, with one it's line by line and the other it's page by page- but with the one line-by-line at the end of the section there is still the page changing like the other one, that's where I'm trying to add a small delay in some way
Old 04-02-2024, 09:05 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaLollina View Post
it scrolls differently, with one it's line by line and the other it's page by page- but with the one line-by-line at the end of the section there is still the page changing like the other one, that's where I'm trying to add a small delay in some way
Are you doing auto-scrolling (@anyone - can the viewer do that ?), if not I don't understand the need for a 'delay' - unless you mean discard a few key presses - perhaps it would be better to have a visual indication of some sort.

BR
Old 04-02-2024, 09:29 PM   #8
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
yes there's an auto-scrolling feature, though I don't use it much. I prefer paged mode
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:41 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No I'm afraid there is no prefernce to make the viewer ignore page turn keypresses/clicks at the end of a chapter.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 03:03 PM   #10
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No I'm afraid there is no prefernce to make the viewer ignore page turn keypresses/clicks at the end of a chapter.
Thank you, that's all I needed to know. What about a chapter turning mode that is still line by line, instead?
Old 04-03-2024, 03:30 PM   #11
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Are you doing auto-scrolling (@anyone - can the viewer do that ?), if not I don't understand the need for a 'delay' - unless you mean discard a few key presses - perhaps it would be better to have a visual indication of some sort.

BR
I find it a good solution just because I encountered this system many times in various kind of programs (not just book related, just where sometimes it's handy for someone to be "prepared" before facing the next "section" or "chapter", or the border of a specific area, etc) . For visual mode I think that some space left blank at the end of each section would be a strong signal and a good reminder to scroll slower in that parts. Alternative is introducing the new chapter with a line-by-line entrance, for example if the scroll mode is line-by-line .
Old 04-03-2024, 05:10 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@beaLollina - have you tried putting Pages in chapter and/or Position in chapter into the Header or Footer, i.e.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-04 075404.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	207331

I'm not sure what the difference is, but here's what they look like in in Flow mode:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-04 075923.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	207332

FWIW: in the next release of calibre, the viewer will have options to show the mode (Paged or Flow) in the left/muddle/right drop-downs of Headers and Footers.

BR
Old 04-03-2024, 05:25 PM   #13
beaLollina
Enthusiast

Quote:
@beaLollina - have you tried putting Pages in chapter and/or Position in chapter into the Header or Footer, i.e.

Attachment 207331

I'm not sure what the difference is, but here's what they look like in in Flow mode:

Attachment 207332

FWIW: in the next release of calibre, the viewer will have options to show the mode (Paged or Flow) in the left/muddle/right drop-downs of Headers and Footers.

BR

Hi again, I added all these things so now I have these progress bars , they are very useful to me. And I change the scroll mode from the left bar, always visible. But that small issue remains for now.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:15 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@beaLollina - I'm out of ideas

@anyone - what is the difference between the Pages in chapter and Position in chapter - see prior screen shot.

BR
Old 04-04-2024, 12:06 AM   #15
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
@anyone - what is the difference between the Pages in chapter and Position in chapter - see prior screen shot.
Quote:
@BR - I usually leave the footer empty, but this time I've set some stuff to display in it just for testing:

Name:	2024-04-04 00_42_06-Nonsense Books [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	31
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	207339

I've noticed 2 things:

1. Position in chapter (footer left) will keep unchanged no matter if in Paged or Flow mode and in whatever viewport size; Pages in chapter (header left) will vary depending on the viewer viewport, and also on the current mode, see:

Large Viewport

Name:	2024-04-04 00_52_04-Nonsense Books [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	28
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	207340

Narrow viewport - Flow mode:

Name:	2024-04-04 00_40_47-Nonsense Books [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	27
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	207338

Narrow viewport - Paged mode:

Name:	2024-04-04 00_40_57-Nonsense Books [EPUB] — E-book viewer.png
Views:	32
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	207337

2. I'm running from source, so I can see the new Flow mode icon, very cool, however I'm not sure if the Paged mode icon is displaying correctly, it looks small compared to the Flow mode icon.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reader experience, reader friendly, viewer