Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #1
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Send to Kindle - Book Cover (Thumbnail)

What is the best way to transfer a book to Kindle to keep the book covert?

I have been using Send To Kindle app on Mac but the books I send end up being categorized as documents without the book cover on Kindle.

Is there any way to use Send To Kindle app so that the book can appear on iPad and Kindle while keeping the book cover?

I know there is some way to use Calibre to side load books to Kindle but that way they are not backed up or synced to my Amazon account.
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolson View Post

I have been using Send To Kindle app on Mac but the books I send end up being categorized as documents without the book cover on Kindle.

Is there any way to use Send To Kindle app so that the book can appear on iPad and Kindle while keeping the book cover?

I know there is some way to use Calibre to side load books to Kindle but that way they are not backed up or synced to my Amazon account.
The only way I know of is to jailbreak your kindle and then use one of the packages I found which I believe is called "Extract Cover Thumbs". This is actually a set of python scripts which copy the covers to the kindle. From what I am told I don't believe it works beyond firmware 5.8.9.

Last edited by radamo; 10-19-2017 at 08:11 AM.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

And if I will convert an ePub to AZW and will use Calibre to add books to Kindle via USB will the book cover show properly?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

I use Send to Kindle on a Mac and send a mobi, I always get the cover on all my devices. Sometimes you need to download the book to the device first, before the cover shows. The covers do need to be a certain size though, too small and they won't show.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
And if I will convert an ePub to AZW and will use Calibre to add books to Kindle via USB will the book cover show properly?
Yes, transferring the books via Calibre will transfer the book cover as well.
Additionnally, transferring via Calibre also produces books that have page numbers (I believe they are calculated by a formula that says how many words appear on an average page). I love to have page numbers to estimate how much I read each day so I love this feature.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If you send via Calibre via usb and have converted an epub to a mobi it will send the cover. if you use the "send to kindle" with that same file it will not have a cover show up on the kindle device.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
If you send via Calibre via usb and have converted an epub to a mobi it will send the cover. if you use the "send to kindle" with that same file it will not have a cover show up on the kindle device.
My mobi files sent via Send to Kindle all have covers.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
robertpolson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My mobi files sent via Send to Kindle all have covers.
Are there any special settings that you use in calibre co convert to mobi before sending to Kindle?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
robertpolson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Yes, transferring the books via Calibre will transfer the book cover as well.
Additionnally, transferring via Calibre also produces books that have page numbers (I believe they are calculated by a formula that says how many words appear on an average page). I love to have page numbers to estimate how much I read each day so I love this feature.
Do you usually convert to mobi or azw format prior to sending the book to Kindle?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are there any special settings that you use in calibre co convert to mobi before sending to Kindle?
I just change the cover size as follows:-

Right click on the book in Calibre and open the source folder. Then open the cover in preview and change the settings as follows:- (excuse errors this is from memory)

First untick the top tick that says 'Scale proportionally', then

Change Width to 45.01
Change Height to 67.56
Change Resolution to 72

Close preview and go back to edit the metadata in Calibre. The cover size should now be at approx 1800 on the height,1200 on the width. Then convert from mobi to mobi. That fixes the new cover size to the metadata. Remove the original mobi and send the new mobi to your kindle via Send to Kindle.

Your cover should now show on your kindle. That's all I do.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do you usually convert to mobi or azw format prior to sending the book to Kindle?
I stick with mobi. If the book starts as ePub I convert to mobi once I've changed the cover size and edited author, title, series etc. If it's a mobi I just reconvert to a new mobi. I don't use AZW at all in Calibre.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I stick with mobi. If the book starts as ePub I convert to mobi once I've changed the cover size and edited author, title, series etc. If it's a mobi I just reconvert to a new mobi. I don't use AZW at all in Calibre.
That was me until I tried the hyphenation plugin. It does render a nicer-looking page, but you have to use the newer formats.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
That was me until I tried the hyphenation plugin. It does render a nicer-looking page, but you have to use the newer formats.
As far as I'm aware any format other than mobi through Send to Kindle loses the cover and that's far more important to me than any font or page rendering. I hate a missing cover.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Yes, what you won't have is the ability to use whispersync to be able to pick up last page read on other devices. I also think it does not sync with GoodReads if you use that.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I just use the "List" view in the library, so I'm not bothered in the slightest about whether or not a book has a thumbnail cover image. The list, for me, shows more information, and makes it easier to find books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote