Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Kobo pushing book previews

Anybody else slightly annoyed with Kobo taking the unwanted initiative of placing several book previews on their device?

http://cafe.kobo.com/press/releases/...ok-suggestions

Seriously? Trying to push the latest Dan Brown? No thank-you.

I hope this does not become a new Kobo "feature". Using father's Day (or some other special occasion) as an excuse to cram stuff down our throats.

Last edited by mr_nihilism; 06-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They are only suggestions. Don't you have suggestions too with the kindle ?
It does not bother me so much as the wasted space issue.
As long as they don't put them on the menu (where I only want to see the books I already have).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
*shrug* As long as the recommendations stay in the Discover section, where I almost never go, I really don't care.

Besides, reading that article, I see nothing that says these recommendations or offers will show up on the devices themselves.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
mr_nihilism
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can already get suggestions by selecting the "recommended for you" or "related reading" options under the Bookstore tab. I actually do get good use from that, but I`m less than happy with Kobo actually downloading previews.

Anyhow, love it or hate it. To each their own. But my two cents is that I don't want Kobo downloading unwanted garbage on my Kobo. Waste of space. Waste of my time deleting it.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
mr_nihilism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
*shrug* As long as the recommendations stay in the Discover section, where I almost never go, I really don't care.

Besides, reading that article, I see nothing that says these recommendations or offers will show up on the devices themselves.
It most certainly did show up when I happened to sync today.
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I stop my sync after my new book goes onto the device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
String
String began at the beginning.

Device: Aura One, Aura HD, Forma, Mini, Sage
I think it is totally wrong to load book previews on the Aura for books I would never ever read without me authorizing it.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
I'm all for recommendations. Loading four previews onto my Kobo...NO. They put them right in My Library I'm Reading and then sent them to the Aura. I've already got a Recommended for You tile. I can look at that if I want to. Pushing unwanted samples to my device is annoying. I'm not sure if they'd had gone to the Glo too, I never synced it yesterday and have since deleted the samples from My Library I'm Reading page on the Kobo site.

Not to mention their choice "for me" wasn't. I've never even looked at a Vampire book let alone bought one but they sent me an unwanted sample of a vampire book...weird.

Last edited by selina4books; 06-17-2013 at 11:03 AM.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you turn off Kobo notifications in Settings? It is on the Reading Life and Notifications Screen. I was getting stuff I did not want (but Kobo marketing wanted me to have) until I did that. I have not gotten any previews, even when doing a full sync, since doing that.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Did you turn off Kobo notifications in Settings? It is on the Reading Life and Notifications Screen. I was getting stuff I did not want (but Kobo marketing wanted me to have) until I did that. I have not gotten any previews, even when doing a full sync, since doing that.
Thanks for the tip, Taming.

Amazon, Sony and B&N used to send recommendations in a nicely crafted email which I could opt out of except they kept pointing out some really good books. I had left that setting set to allow Kobo notifications hoping that Kobo would do it the same way, but I'd rather not have them sent to my eReader.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I get notifications to my email account (and I am fine with that), but have turned off Kobo notifications on my devices. I also only show books on device,rather than all, unless I specifically want to see something archived.

The recommendations do get better over time, it seems. I have purchased 270+ books from Kobo, and they are pretty good, though I do get a lot of recommendations for books I have read, but not purchased from them. I recently read a series about a PI from Saskatchewan. I read it because I like Canadian mysteries. The PI is gay, and I got about 20 gay lit recommendations shortly after my purchase. I said not interested to them on the website, and I stopped getting them. I'm fine with LGBT characters, it's just not usually the reason I read a particular book. Meta-data is metal-data though <shrug>.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
mr_nihilism

"Get the latest from Kobo, including exclusive eReader promotions, right on your home screen."

It is now unchecked. Thanks, taming.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
"Get the latest from Kobo, including exclusive eReader promotions, right on your home screen."

It is now unchecked. Thanks, taming.
i did the same, had it unchecked but i'm guessing the latest firmware though otherwise and ticked the box lol
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Glad I could help. I still get the recommended tiles when doing a sync, but those I can live with--especially when they relate to a book I have just purchased. If I am not in the mood, I long press and dismiss those too.