Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #31
AudioPhool
AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Sage (My wife a: Paperwhite Signature)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can't use a Qi device easily in your hand while it's charging, but you can use a cable. It also wastes space and electricity.

I agreed a clock on a page was a personal preference, but if no-one had it it wouldn't reduce reading enjoyment and most people have a phone or watch.
Having had Qi devices for years, we've never needed to use any of our devices while they were charging! Our Qi stands are vertical and angled at approx. 60-degrees. Simply placing the device in the stand -- not fumbling with a cord and needing to see where to plug & insert it -- encourages frequent and consistent charging. That helps with keeping the devices charged, with no need to use them while charging because we forgot, or failed to keep them charged.

When home, the device has to be placed somewhere. The sort of vertical cradle we use, takes up less space than laying the device down in a horizontal plane. The angled vertical position of the stand and the placing of the device on it, is convenient and easier than plugging it in. Also, the consistent plugging/unplugging addresses the MTB (Mean-Time-Between) failure of the device’s internal female connector. However, that issue is device design dependent. But why add component stress when it is unnecessary to do so?

We have a gaggle of wall warts and different cables. For our lack of ever needing to use a device while it was charging (because we allowed it to discharge), but in the unique instance that we needed to do so, grabbing a cable & wall wart would be simple & quick to do.

As far as wasting electricity is concerned, it appears that wireless charging is less efficient that a direct connection. If energy is used, it is used; whether that use is a “waste”, is defined by the user who is choosing to use and pay for it. Personally, and over my many decades, energy use, like breathing and eating et al., is a natural and necessary process. Other than the DC energy used to charge hand-held devices, I have far too many other issues to fret over, like what wax to use after washing the dog, or deciding what music to play, or book to read.
AudioPhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 03:23 PM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ethically and for a lot of people no longer technically as they won't know how to download them to be able to remove the DRM or they have an older DeDRM that won't remove the DRM from KFX.

But yes, it can be done if you know how.
I tend to think if they did it before they will get it to work again.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 04:40 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I tend to think if they did it before they will get it to work again.
It was very easy t o get a KU eBook fia KindleforPC 1.7 and get KF8. Now it cannot be done. The only way to use KindleforPC is to use a version that gets KFX and some don't know they may be able to remove the DRM and convert to ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-29-2023 at 09:00 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was very easy t o get a KU eBook fvia KindleforPC 1.7 and get KF8. Now it cannot be done. The only way to use KindleforPC is to use a version that gets KFX and some don't know they may be able to remove the DRM and convert to ePub.
Some won't, sure. But look how complex the android way, look at how many people are doing it. People will find a way.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:52 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Some won't, sure. But look how complex the android way, look at how many people are doing it. People will find a way.
Personally, I found the Android way a relatively simple and easy setup. Even writing a batch file to copy downloaded files from the open emulator to a Windows computer was trivial.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2023, 06:15 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Personally, I found the Android way a relatively simple and easy setup. Even writing a batch file to copy downloaded files from the open emulator to a Windows computer was trivial.
And there you go. So Jon is wrong once again.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:47 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No comment on whether Jon (JSWolf) was wrong. What I was disagreeing with was John F's comment on how complex the Android method was.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-28-2023 at 08:51 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:03 AM   #38
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can't use a Qi device easily in your hand while it's charging, but you can use a cable. It also wastes space and electricity.

I agreed a clock on a page was a personal preference, but if no-one had it it wouldn't reduce reading enjoyment and most people have a phone or watch.
Using a portable device (phone, tablet, e-reader,etc) while it's plugged in is the best way I know of to damage the charging port.

Show me someone who uses their reader while it's plugged in, and I'll show you someone who complains about how "flimsy" the charging port is within a year.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I am correct. You are wrong.

I said KindleforPC, not KindleforAndroid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:11 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am correct. You are wrong.

I said KindleforPC, not KindleforAndroid.
Jon, I think many posters would appreciated it if you stopped just reading the last post(s) in a thread and repling out of context, or repeat things that were mentioned fairly recently in the thread.

This is what kicked off the chain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
... for a lot of people no longer technically as they won't know how to download them to be able to remove the DRM or they have an older DeDRM that won't remove the DRM from KFX.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:32 AM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Jon, I think many posters would appreciated it if you stopped just reading the last post(s) in a thread and repling out of context, or repeat things that were mentioned fairly recently in the thread.

I know that I would.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:32 AM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Using a portable device (phone, tablet, e-reader,etc) while it's plugged in is the best way I know of to damage the charging port.

Show me someone who uses their reader while it's plugged in, and I'll show you someone who complains about how "flimsy" the charging port is within a year.

Shari
I do it all the time. No damaged charging port in 12 years.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I do it all the time. No damaged charging port in 12 years.
Also maybe 20 years.

Though USB-B, mini-USB and USB-C all seem more robust. I've only had micro-USB cables fail.

I've things that dock in a holder: kettle, DECT cordless phones, handie mobile radios. That makes more sense than inductive charging as it's less space and a jiggle won't stop it charging, and no limit to power (2500W kettle).

We have two Nintendo Switch here (neither are mine) and the charge is a USB-C dock, but for some strange reason it covers the screen, though not the controllers. I don't think a regular 5V USB-A cable can charge it but the charger cable can plug-in direct. Also, while the OLED version (we don't have it) has an ethernet port on the charging dock, a regular USB-C ethernet adaptor works direct or on the dock, for somewhere with poor WiFi. A USB-C HDMI adaptor doesn't work direct, but both kinds of dock have it

Compared to a dock a Qi mat is less functional. Docks for mobile phones used to be common in cars and less bother than BT + Qi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 04:22 PM   #44
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhool View Post
Having had Qi devices for years, we've never needed to use any of our devices while they were charging! Our Qi stands are vertical and angled at approx. 60-degrees. Simply placing the device in the stand -- not fumbling with a cord and needing to see where to plug & insert it -- encourages frequent and consistent charging.
Yes, I love the Qi stands for my phone. The angle makes my phone a bedside clock as I can glance and see the time without having to move to pick up the phone. Some posters seem to mix up their opinion with fact.

I wouldn't pay extra for wireless charging on an ereader, as they have to be charged so rarely. But it would be a 'nice to have' if it were just built in.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 05:50 PM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Docks were a common bedside accessory for the iPhone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote