Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPhool View Post
Yes, I did confuse you with another poster.

With potentially purchasing a Kobo, I had a concern with possibly wanting to read a Prime book; which presently, I don't plan on doing. To that, meeera (not you/John F) made the following suggestion:

In my case -- if worst came to worst and I obtained a Prime Book -- from meeera’s suggestion, I concluded that I could read a Prime Book, using the Kindle App on my Windows laptop &/or on my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone. That is, if I didn’t want to, or couldn’t deDRM the book. Obviously however, neither a laptop or phone are optimum. However, never having owned or even seen the screen of an eReader, the laptop's display set to a sepia tone, has been doing OK.
I read web articles on my laptop all the time, but I wouldn't want to read a novel on it. It's not even the screen so much, but more the ergonomics (can't hold a laptop in one hand while sprawling comfortably on the sofa.). I also occasionally read a few pages of a book on my phone - again something I wouldn't want to do too often or for several hours (the screen is too small and narrow for comfortable reading), but it's certainly doable.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 04:52 PM   #17
AudioPhool
AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Sage (My wife a: Paperwhite Signature)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I read web articles on my laptop all the time, but I wouldn't want to read a novel on it. It's not even the screen so much, but more the ergonomics (can't hold a laptop in one hand while sprawling comfortably on the sofa.). I also occasionally read a few pages of a book on my phone - again something I wouldn't want to do too often or for several hours (the screen is too small and narrow for comfortable reading), but it's certainly doable.
Unfortunately, I have spine and hip issues that require me to us crutches to get around and about the only place I can sit comfortably is in a recliner or an upholstered chair with a footstool. I use a lap desk for my 16" laptop PC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1). In that position, all is well -- no hands are necessary to hold the laptop and there is but a slight reach to hit the PC's page button. For me, it's about as comfortable as I can get. Also, my PC is a HP xSeptre 360 2-in-1 convertible with a touch screen, so I can flip the PC and "tent" it, if you will http://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-...2000-74r53av-1

Outside when it's sunny, a PC with a reflective screen and not enough brightness adjustment, is less than ideal however.
AudioPhool is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 05:49 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I have spine and hip issues that require me to us crutches to get around and about the only place I can sit comfortably is in a recliner or an upholstered chair with a footstool. I use a lap desk for my 16" laptop PC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1). In that position, all is well -- no hands are necessary to hold the laptop and there is but a slight reach to hit the PC's page button. For me, it's about as comfortable as I can get. Also, my PC is a HP xSeptre 360 2-in-1 convertible with a touch screen, so I can flip the PC and "tent" it, if you will http://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-...2000-74r53av-1

Outside when it's sunny, a PC with a reflective screen and not enough brightness adjustment, is less than ideal however.
I use an adjustable stand with my main laptop (it's too heavy for me for holding on a lap, even with a lap desk) and I also have a Surface Pro tablet-cum-laptop with a removable keyboard; still, for book reading I prefer my ereaders by a mile. The eink screen is just nicer for black and white novels, and even my 8'' Sage is far lighter and smaller than the Surface, but not as small as my phone. My ereaders are for long reading hours; anything shorter than a full novel is quite comfortable on my laptop or tablet. I'm guessing that may also prove true for you.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-25-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 05:59 PM   #19
AudioPhool
AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AudioPhool can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use an adjustable stand with my main laptop (it's too heavy for me for holding on a lap, even with a lap desk) and I also have a Surface Pro tablet-cum-laptop with a removable keyboard; still, for book reading I prefer my ereaders by a mile. The eink screen is just nicer for black and white novels, and even my 8'' Sage is far lighter and smaller than the Surface, but not as small as my phone. My ereaders are for long reading hours; anything shorter than a full novel is quite comfortable on my laptop or tablet. I'm guessing that may also prove true for you.
Yup, you're spot on in your guessing. Your comments expressed my assumptions and the reason why I want an eReader. Portability around the house, is also more important for me than most. And because I have been reading for several hours, I've been pushing the battery limit of my laptop.

I was interested to hear your Sage mention. By that, I assume you're satisfied with it. Without hands-on, I too believe that the Sage will fit the bill for me.
Old 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yup, you're spot on in your guessing. Your comments expressed my assumptions and the reason why I want an eReader. Portability around the house, is also more important for me than most. And because I have been reading for several hours, I've been pushing the battery limit of my laptop.

I was interested to hear your Sage mention. By that, I assume you're satisfied with it. Without hands-on, I too believe that the Sage will fit the bill for me.
Well, it has its flaws (poor battery life is one of them - "poor" meaning in comparison with other ereaders, as it still lasts quite a bit longer than a phone, tablet or laptop), but yeah, I'm mostly satisfied. I don't use its note-taking features, all I do on it is read. I also read on my Libra 2 (my Libra has a nicer, more even frontlight than my Sage - this is something that varies a lot between individual units), but ergonomically I prefer the Sage, despite it being heavier than the Libra. The Sage is also a bit zippier than the Libra due to a newer processor.
Advert
Old 11-25-2023, 09:56 PM   #21
AudioPhool

Good to hear your thoughts about your ownership of both the Libra & the Sage. My research findings and your comments tend to correlate.

Both the Paperwhite Signature & Sage appear to be arriving tomorrow. So, both my wife and I should have some fun comparing them. She also would like an eReader.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Good to hear your thoughts about your ownership of both the Libra & the Sage. My research findings and your comments tend to correlate.

Both the Paperwhite Signature & Sage appear to be arriving tomorrow. So, both my wife and I should have some fun comparing them. She also would like an eReader.
Please post your impressions. I've never seen the latest PW and would be interested how it compares to the Sage.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:05 PM   #23
AudioPhool

Will do. Thanks for your help and all the others who have commented.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:08 AM   #24
AudioPhool

Kindle Paperwhite (Signature) vs Kobo Sage (formerly Libra 2)

The Kindle PW (Paperwhite) Signature and the Kobo Sage arrived today.

My wife took one look at the PW Signature and said that’s mine! So, it looks like the Kindle is a keeper. Funny, up until a few days ago, when I began talking about purchasing an eReader, my wife was averse to getting one. Several years ago when she saw a friend's Kindle, she was against owning one. I believe her aversion was more to do with the digital form factor vs her many enjoyable years of (analog) reading. I must admit that there is a significant amount of nostalgia associated with physical books. But now with the Paperwhite in hand, in my wife's case, seeing, or should I say reading is believing.

After running though most of the options and obtaining a book from Overdrive and reading a couple hundred of pages, I believe I’m keeping the Sage (vs the PW Sig).

I also added the Nickel Clock https://github.com/shermp/NickelClock to the Sage. What, no option for a clock on the Sage's reading pages!?!

I kinda, sorta like the Sage’s manual page turn buttons. But perhaps, more the idea of them, than their actual use. I’m always one in favor of options however – the more the better. One never knows when a change of use may occur and then the option comes in handy.

Most importantly however, I really prefer the larger screen of the Sage. Contrary to many debates, size does make a difference!

If cost were more of a factor for us however, I would have difficulty justifying the $100 delta between the Sage & PW Sig (each with Black Friday pricing). If talking notes was on the agenda, I may think otherwise.

The one option we really enjoy on the PW Signature is its Qi charging ability. We have Qi stands for both our phones. So, I popped the PW Sig. in one and off to charging it went. For the price of the Sage, Qi charging should be standard.

Now, I can see why the Kindle Oasis is a tough sell when compared to the PW. Its not having USB C connection is a negative as is NO Qi charging. And like the Sage, the Oasis runtime between charges, is a negative when compared to the Kindle PW.

Thanks again to those who posted in this thread and on the forum. Being a neophyte to eReaders, the MoblleRead forum has been helpful and informative.

If something occurs and causes a change in our initial thoughts of the two eReaders, I will add an addendum to this thread.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:10 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The clock & battery is only a tap away. Obviously some people like a clock on the page, but I don't know anyone here that wants it. At least 14 in the wider family have ereaders. Mix of Kobo, Kindle and one Sony T2.

Qi charging is pointless if you need to read while charging. It wastes energy, creates some interference and the charger still needs a cable and PSU (wall wart). It takes up more space when travelling. It's a marketing gimmick.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-27-2023 at 04:13 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:29 AM   #26
AudioPhool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The clock & battery is only a tap away. Obviously some people like a clock on the page, but I don't know anyone here that wants it. At least 14 in the wider family have ereaders. Mix of Kobo, Kindle and one Sony T2.

Qi charging is pointless if you need to read while charging. It wastes energy, creates some interference and the charger still needs a cable and PSU (wall wart). It takes up more space when travelling. It's a marketing gimmick.
Personal preferences are...well...personal.

While reading on her new Paperwhite, my wife asked about a clock on her reading screen. The option to have the time displayed was buried in the Kindle’s settings, but we found it. By the same token, I looked for the time option on the Sage and came up wanting. Having the time displayed or not isn't a deal breaker, but for some, nice to have, as the Nickel Clock add-on proves.

Regarding Qi charging, is it a "marketing gimmick"? For us and our experience with Qi devices, hardly! Having an eReader is as much a marketing gimmick as are any options associated with it. Is an eReader needed? Of course not. Someone created a product and then marketed it and others joined in. Ain't free-market capitalism grand!?!

Are eReaders handy to own? Most all reading this forum would agree that they are. But then there are others who would consider eReaders as nothing more than marketing gimmicks -- "you like 'to-may-to', I like 'to-mah-to'".

Choices are choices and junk to one, is treasure to another. I’m just happy to have the freedoms and wherewithal to be able to make as many choices as I do. As the freedom to choose diminishes, stress increases and the more unpleasant, distressing and deplorable life becomes. Give me freedom, or give me a good book…
Old 11-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can't use a Qi device easily in your hand while it's charging, but you can use a cable. It also wastes space and electricity.

I agreed a clock on a page was a personal preference, but if no-one had it it wouldn't reduce reading enjoyment and most people have a phone or watch.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:51 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I have Prime. I don't have KU. There's no access to KU books on my account.
They are KU eBooks. Prime eBooks are a subset of KU eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:53 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Do you mean technically or ethically? In the past, the DRM on Prime ebooks could be stripped.
Ethically and for a lot of people no longer technically as they won't know how to download them to be able to remove the DRM or they have an older DeDRM that won't remove the DRM from KFX.

But yes, it can be done if you know how.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:00 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I have this computer lap tray. It's the second best I've ever seen/used. It fits a 17" Laptop no problem.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RR22N8H
Click image for larger version

Name:	71ClsOq1b7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	204952

I used to have a lap tray from Brookstone but they stopped making it and when it came time to replace it, that;s the one I got.