Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
DJKuulA
DJKuulA began at the beginning.

Device: none
7-8" Reader with Best Clarity and Library Support

Hi all!

I'm looking for a 7-8" e-ink device for general book reading. Most important is screen clarity and being easy on the eyes. My local library (in the US) uses Cloud Library and Hoopla, so I'd prefer to be able to use them without too much hassle (see ya, Kindle).

Having done some research, I think I'm leaning toward the Kobo Libra2, Kobo Sage, Boox Page, or Boox Leaf. Questions for those with experience:

Are there significant real-world differences in screen quality? I'd mostly be reading in daylight or lit rooms, but also in bed with the lights out.

The ability to install Android apps like Google Books, Cloud Library, and Hoopla make the Boox appealing, but it sounds like there are compromises. I doubt that I'd be doing much else with it, although I might use a dictionary or PDF reader. I have other Android devices for web browsing, email, etc. Is using Android apps directly on a Boox much more convenient than copying files from a computer to a Kobo, or just a minor benefit?

The ability to make annotations on the Sage would be neat, but just a nice-to-have. To use that feature, would I have to spend another $35 on a stylus? Is it compatible with any other sort of stylus (like, say, the one in my Galaxy S22 Ultra phone)?

What do people think of the general UI of Kobo vs. Boox devices? Are both reasonably convenient to navigate?

Are any of these devices noticeably physically more comfortable to use than others? Any specific ergonomic complaints or praise?

Charging every night isn't an issue. Do any of these devices have common battery problems, or are they all pretty capable of making it through a busy day of reading?

Are there any other devices that I should consider (keeping it under $250)? Are there easy ways to read library books on a Kindle? My local librarians didn't seem to think so.

Thanks in advance!
DJKuulA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Sage is compatible with the Surface Pen (for Microsoft Surface tablets).

I'm not personally familiar with Boox devices, so can't compare them with Kobos. The Libra 2 has an excellent, sharp, clear screen. The Sage is a bit less sharp, but not considerably so. The battery of the Libra lasts for several days to a week to a couple of weeks, depending on the hours of use each day, the frontlight level, wifi being on or not, and to a certain extent on reading speed. In short, it can vary considerably between users, but even in the worst case it should last a few days. The Sage has worse battery life than the Libra, but again that depends on your usage pattern. Mine lasts easily for several days, yours may last less or more.

I have no real complaints about the ergonomics of either the Sage or the Libra 2, and Kobo UI is IMO perfectly fine.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-23-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2023, 02:43 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Sage is compatible with the Surface Pen (for Microsoft Surface tablets).
Surface 3 and later. But a cheap 3rd party pen with no One Note "magic button" on top as that is extra and uses BT and not used by Sage.
I've used 3 models of "basic" NTrig/MS pens with Sage (other people in the family haves Sages) and they work identically to Kobo one that came with my Elipsa.
The AAAA cell lasts a very long time and most cheap Alkaline PP3/6LR61 have 6 slightly shorter ones that work (note those have the nub as positive). All Alkaline cells have a positive case. Zinc cells have a negative case.

I can't see any difference in sharpness between Libra 2 and Sage (I have both and original Libra). The screens are slightly variable in quality on all brands of eink.

Ergonomics on Libra 2 / Sage superior to Oasis 2 and PW3. Very much better than my Android eInk. Kobo has the best metadata integration with Calibre.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-23-2023 at 02:48 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Cloud Library uses ePub Hoopla uses it's own app. So if you want a reader to use both, you'd need an Android based Reader. I don't know what the lowest end version of Android you'd need pr what Android based Reader has a good screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #5
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo devices only have integrated OverDrive support, so you have to use Adobe Digital Editions (or the ADE Calibre plugin) to read CloudLibrary books. Kobo uses a stripped-down Linux with a custom UI, so it's very simple to operate. Boox devices use Android, so you get all the power of a tablet and the steep learning curve that comes with it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I have the white Leaf 2 and the Libra 2. Both have a really good screen - the Leaf 2 is slightly sharper than the Libra 2, but has a less even backlight. The page turn buttons are slightly nicer on the Libra 2, but both work. Visually the Leaf 2 is nicer since the bezels next to the screen are gray rather than white, which creates an effect of the screen almost melting together with the bezels when reading. The Libra 2 is slightly more ergonomically constructed, but also heavier than the Leaf 2.

The Page solves the one problem that the Leaf 2 has: it's slow. When reading on the Leaf 2 this isn't so noticeable, but when navigating between apps or having several apps open it's sluggish. It has a glass layer on top so I'd expect the clarity/contrast to be slightly worse than the Libra 2/white Leaf 2. However, if it uses the new Onyx Glass layer, which my Palma also does, then it should be quite good. It's micro-etched glass, so the contrast isn't as reduced as a matte finish.

I have never seen or tried a Sage, so I can't comment on that.

Unless you want or need the extra functionality of Android, I'd recommend getting a Kobo. Their interface is nice, the Calibre integration is good (especially creating collections automatically) and they're easy to use.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
DJKuulA
DJKuulA began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to everyone for your responses! I was briefly sidetracked by the even bigger Pocketbook Inkpad Lite (and Amazon's $200 BF deal on it), but in the end decided to splurge on a Sage. We'll see how it works out, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be a major upgrade from my old Nook SimpleTouch with its melted shell.
DJKuulA is offline   Reply With Quote