Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #16
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
A big pro for me for the Pocketbook is that you can set Koreader to be the default reader on the device.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrzok View Post
A big pro for me for the Pocketbook is that you can set Koreader to be the default reader on the device.
That's only file association. KOReader does work simply on KOBO and unless it used the Kobo Metadata GUI of My Books, there is no concept of changing the "default reader".
Currently KOReader uses a file browser, though its search can use Calibre Metadata (but not Kobo Metadata). There is a project to make KOReader use a Metadata browser.

You're comparing two completely unrelated things. KOreader can be the default reader on ANYTHING that has a file browser. All the best UI/UX physical ereaders don't use a file browser and don't care about file naming. Using a file system to navigate documents was obsolete by the 1980s.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 07:21 AM   #18
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Unless Kobo devices can set which reader app (system default or 3rd party e.g. Koreader) launches each individual title... and launches them from the system home or library screens etc, I think jkrzok's point stands.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:55 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Unless Kobo devices can set which reader app (system default or 3rd party e.g. Koreader) launches each individual title... and launches them from the system home or library screens etc, I think jkrzok's point stands.
It's only a file association, so not at all comparing the same thing.
I've installed KOReader on Android and made it the default for epub, but it's nearly meaningless as you are only browsing files, not metadata. It's a simple to open KOReader in the first place, which is only one extra tap on Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:30 AM   #20
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not just a file association, as you can set it per title (each individual book) not just by the file extension.

The ability to launch a specific book with Koreader directly from the device library (therefore browsing metadata) and home screen is simply a cleaner more streamlined and unified experience.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 11-19-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 08:38 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Not just a file association, as you can set it per title (each individual book) not just by the file extension.

The ability to launch a specific book with Koreader directly from the device library and home screen is simply a cleaner more streamlined and unified experience.
But given that Pocketbook is using the latest version of RMSDK, no need for KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:42 AM   #22
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But given that Pocketbook is using the latest version of RMSDK, no need for KOReader.
Koreader still provides a lot more customisation than the in-built reader app.

Not all models have a inverted (darkmode) available for example. Or the ability to easily change font weight. Or have a two column reading view etc.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 11-19-2023 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:01 AM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Or the ability to easily change font weight.
That's the main reason I've never bought a Pocketbook. You can adjust font weight on Kobos and Kindles, but not on Pocketbooks, and it's a feature I can't do without. Yes, I could install KOReader, but I don't really want to use it. I hate its folder-based system and the lack of any library management, and it's very slow with huge omnibuses (of which I have many, and no, I'm not going to split them up). So until Pocketbook has font weight adjustment, it'll be Kobos for me (I've mostly given up on Kindles, as Amazon tries harder and harder to dissuade people from sideloading and keep them walled in).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Koreader still provides a lot more customisation than the in-built reader app.

Not all models have a inverted (darkmode) available for example. Or the ability to easily change font weight. Or have a two column reading view etc.
an (not a) when followed by a word that has a vowel sound.

For devices that cannot change the font weight is why there is a version of ChareInk6 and ChareInk6SP that have a weight added versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #25
neil_swann80

Quote:
I'm aware. I'm not correcting it though.
I hope it eats away at you every time you scan the page.

P.s. I'm a fan of your ChareInk6 modification. (I'm personally content with and use the standard weighting of it.)

Last edited by neil_swann80; 11-19-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 03:52 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Until you stop using then when than is correct, you have no standing to complain about a versus an.

Also, a cheap shot is correct even though cheap is a word with a vowel sound, so you got the rule wrong as well.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 04:56 AM   #27
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I hate its folder-based system and the lack of any library management, and it's very slow with huge omnibuses (of which I have many, and no, I'm not going to split them up).
The only omnibus I have is a tetralogy, not likely large enough to cause me problems when reading it with KOReader, as I never had an issue.

As for the lack of library management within KOReader, I concur. Fortunately you can configure the Pocketbook library to open books with KOReader, so you can still browse a nice metadata structured view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
So until Pocketbook has font weight adjustment, it'll be Kobos for me (I've mostly given up on Kindles, as Amazon tries harder and harder to dissuade people from sideloading and keep them walled in).
I've given up on Kindles for the same reason. My choice for an ereader was between Kobo and Pocketbook. For me Pocketbooks are just a little more open as regards sideloading, supported file formats and general tweaking. I very nearly went the Kobo route however.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:09 AM   #28
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
For me Pocketbooks are just a little more open as regards sideloading, supported file formats and general tweaking
Not trying to quibble, just genuinely curious, as the 3 reasons you give for preferring Pocketbook are alll areas Kobo is considered to to excel in. How does Pocketbook best Kobo in these areas, especially the formats and tweaking, since I'm guessing the sideloading is down to ability to do so wirelessly?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:25 AM   #29
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Not trying to quibble, just genuinely curious, as the 3 reasons you give for preferring Pocketbook are alll areas Kobo is considered to to excel in. How does Pocketbook best Kobo in these areas, especially the formats and tweaking, since I'm guessing the sideloading is down to ability to do so wirelessly?
Sideloading wirelessly is definitely handy!

Pocketbook supports filetypes:

Ebook formats: PDF, Epub, Mobi, DJVU, FB2, FB2.zip, Doc, Docx, rtf, prc, tcr, txt, chm, cbr, cbz and html
Music/Podcasts/Audiobooks: MP3, MP3.ZIP, M4A, M4B, OGG, OGG.ZIP
Image: JPG, TIFFF, BMP, PNG

As for tweaking it's very easy to sideload your own shell scripts to the device, they appear as applications in a specific area of the program menu. I've written several... one to allow easy editing of epub metadata directly from my device. Another connects to wifi, requests book input, downloads the book to my library, then disconnects and reactivates flight mode.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 11-20-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks. That is an impressive list of formats. A clear edge especially in audio formats. I don't even know what pcr and tcr are so not having them is not much of a loss for me, I guess.
From the Kobo forums, it sounds like there's not actually much difference in tweakability. The stuff people do with the Kobos is quite impressive, and most (like KOReader which is my default) seems equally easy to install
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote