Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2023, 08:39 AM   #1
gertverne
gertverne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 vs Kindle Paperwhite 2021 - the dimmest front lights setting

Hello. I am consdiering buying one of these eReaders, but want to know which one is the dimmest using minimum front lights brigthness level ? And how big is the difference? I am going to use it in completely dark room from time to time, but I am not a big fan of using dark mode.
I also would like to ask how well the warm light is implemented on these devices - doesn't it increase the overall brightness by adding warmth (since they have separeate "warm" led, as I understood)?
gertverne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 03:36 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The Libra 2's minimum light level is 0 (light completely off) and the light level regardless of the colour of the frontlight does not seem to vary that noticeably. I don't have a Paperwhite 11th gen but for my PW 10th gen setting the light level to 0 seems to turn the light completely off but it does not have light colour control so can't address that.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the Libra 2, you have a slider from 0 - 100 for the frontlight strength and a slider from 0 - 10 to adjust the ratio from totally cold to totally warm. Changing the warmth does not alter the frontlight intensity.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
gertverne

Thank you for the answers, but what about the dimmest frontlight level - I know that 0 means completely turned off, but what about the minimum levels when the frontlights still works? Which one allows the dimmest lumience?
Old 11-10-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertverne View Post
Thank you for the answers, but what about the dimmest frontlight level - I know that 0 means completely turned off, but what about the minimum levels when the frontlights still works? Which one allows the dimmest lumience?
The Libra 2 is slightly dimmer than the PW 10th gen for what little that may be worth.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2023, 02:26 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I don't have both to compare, but in a completely dark room I can't read my Libra 2 on the very lowest setting. I need to add a couple levels.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I should be able to compare my Libra 2 to a PW5 this weekend. I'll report the results.

The Libra 2 goes from not bright enough to too bright. I'll check the PW5 when I have access to it this weekend.

I don't use the warm light. But I'll compare them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 11:57 PM   #8
gertverne

Thank you for the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I should be able to compare my Libra 2 to a PW5 this weekend. I'll report the results.

The Libra 2 goes from not bright enough to too bright. I'll check the PW5 when I have access to it this weekend.

I don't use the warm light. But I'll compare them.
Oh yea, it would be great
Old 11-15-2023, 08:43 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the answers!

Oh yea, it would be great
I did forget to do the comparison. I'll do it tonight when I have access to the PW5.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:39 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I set the light level to 1 for the PW5 and Libra 2. The PW5 was dimmer then the Libra 2.

I set the Libra 2 to 3 to read in dim or no light.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:59 PM   #11
gertverne

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I set the light level to 1 for the PW5 and Libra 2. The PW5 was dimmer then the Libra 2.

I set the Libra 2 to 3 to read in dim or no light.
Thank you for comparing these two

Can I ask you how much dimmer was the kindle, was the difference similar to the photo below or they both were rather close the left option?

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...c146&rdt=49416
Old 11-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you for comparing these two

Can I ask you how much dimmer was the kindle, was the difference similar to the photo below or they both were rather close the left option?

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=htt...c146&rdt=49416
I cannot say based on the photo. When I get a chance, I'll take a photo of both devices at 1 and at max.