Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 02:33 PM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Color Readers are crazy expensive.
CFA does not cost much - the Boox Refresh hardware of the Tab (C) devices is expensive and Boox can be paid a lot for it.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 03:01 PM   #17
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Color Readers are crazy expensive.
Very expensive, almost as expensive as my first e-reader (without colour).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #18
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
The link does work. I've posted the link as code so you can copy it.

Code:
https://shop.boox.com/products/tabminic
still not working. cant you just post the name lol work has the site blocked
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 04:52 PM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
still not working. cant you just post the name lol work has the site blocked
Ah...
Though it's an appalling design of "interactive" in worst sense web site

Boox Tab Mini C 7.8″ Color.
Quote:
The Tab Mini C has a metal back case with a low profile color and a smooth, curved shape. It makes it easy to hold the device, so you can read for a long time without your hands getting tired.

Peace and Joy, Have 'Em All

The mellow and soothing hues of Kaleido 3¹ render everything so peaceful and joyful. With the close-to-paper display², you can enjoy your favorite content with colorful illustrations in the sunlight.

Watch the Colors Flow

The refresh technology on the Tab Mini C makes content flow so smoothly. You can effortlessly navigate books and apps thanks to the HD, Balanced, Fast, and Ultrafast modes.
Exclusive GPU

Accelerates all tasks and reduces afterimages.
BOOX Super Refresh Technology

Gives apps a smoother experience with four refresh modes and one-touch refresh.
Just Can’t Stop Reading

The Tab Mini C is designed to make it more fun to read color-filled novels, manga, web pages, and other content. With a big battery, front lights, a g-sensor, and the ability to read books in different formats, you can read and mark up your books from day to night.
I rather thought ottischwenk would recommend it.

It need a bright front light even in ambient light good enough to read mono eink, so little advantage in eyestrain over LCD with matte screen and brightness carefully adjusted.

The 300 dpi mono is a bit misleading. That's the 150 dpi color and using coloured sub pixel addressing.

I can afford a Color Boox, but I'm sure I'd find it pointless as I don't read comics. I have read comics & graphic novels occasionally on my €200 10″ Lenovo LCD tablet and because of size/reading duration compared to a text novel, not at all straining.

Both the embedded and text links work, even on Waterfox Classic, so you'll have to try outside work.

I do have the Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″Android and a nice feature is being able to turn off the Google Framework (only a few apps need it on, Playstore and Google Play books etc). It's handy for the Irish Library Apps and Google PlayBooks etc, but even with KOReader, it's a poor experience compared to Sony, Kindle or Kobo. Better than the reMarkable.

I've now got a an LG 23.5″ UHD HDR 4K screen that's like coloured paper. Wonderful to read PDFs and graphic novels etc, though not very portable. No glare or reflection or flicker. Perfect colour temperature white. So I'll wait and buy a 10″ to 14″ tablet when one comes out with as good a screen as my LG. The new Amazon Fire was almost tempting but less than 100% Android compatible. I'd sooner have MS Surface Windows x86-64 than only have Amazon store.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-19-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 06:02 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Ah...
Though it's an appalling design of "interactive" in worst sense web site

Boox Tab Mini C 7.8″ Color.

It need a bright front light even in ambient light good enough to read mono eink, so little advantage in eyestrain over LCD with matte screen and brightness carefully adjusted.

The 300 dpi mono is a bit misleading. That's the 150 dpi color and using coloured sub pixel addressing.

I can afford a Color Boox, but I'm sure I'd find it pointless as I don't read comics. I have read comics & graphic novels occasionally on my €200 10″ Lenovo LCD tablet and because of size/reading duration compared to a text novel, not at all straining.

Both the embedded and text links work, even on Waterfox Classic, so you'll have to try outside work.

I do have the Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″Android and a nice feature is being able to turn off the Google Framework (only a few apps need it on, Playstore and Google Play books etc). It's handy for the Irish Library Apps and Google PlayBooks etc, but even with KOReader, it's a poor experience compared to Sony, Kindle or Kobo. Better than the reMarkable.

I've now got a an LG 23.5″ UHD HDR 4K screen that's like coloured paper. Wonderful to read PDFs and graphic novels etc, though not very portable. No glare or reflection or flicker. Perfect colour temperature white. So I'll wait and buy a 10″ to 14″ tablet when one comes out with as good a screen as my LG. The new Amazon Fire was almost tempting but less than 100% Android compatible. I'd sooner have MS Surface Windows x86-64 than only have Amazon store.

i WAS LOOKING AT IT ON BESTBUY WEBSITE
Advert
Old 08-20-2023, 01:13 AM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
An iPad mini with 64GB is not much more then the Onyx Tab Mini C. $449 vs $499.
An Apple refurb Mini 5 is well under that and fits the OP's budget easily.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:14 AM   #22
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Only when the screen is turned off does it not shine in your eyes - but then you see no content, just black.
Photons are photons. It doesn't matter that they've bounced off something first.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:19 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
i WAS LOOKING AT IT ON BESTBUY WEBSITE
How were you looking at the Best Buy website from a link pointing to Boox? Did you check Amazon? Boox Tab Mini C
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 01:49 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Photons are photons. It doesn't matter that they've bounced off something first.
This is true for single photons - but not for a lot of rays.
In addition, with lighting devices you get all the rays that have passed through (LCD) or directly produced (OLED); with Eink only what has not been absorbed by the module - and that is something completely different

Last edited by ottischwenk; 08-20-2023 at 02:17 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:53 AM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
An Apple refurb Mini 5 is well under that and fits the OP's budget easily.
But it can only be used in the dark

Last edited by ottischwenk; 08-20-2023 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:08 AM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I recommended it because it's the only device I could possibly recommend - but I also mentioned the potential negative aspect
Quote:
The benefit is that there is no light source shining directly into the eyes and there is no battle of ambient light versus backlight.
Quote:
I can afford a Color Boox, but I'm sure I'd find it pointless as I don't read comics.
Neither do I - but it's the only device of this size with BSR (Boox Super Refresh Technology) and that's exactly why I bought it and used it as my standard reader; and when lit, the contrast is even better than that of the Tolino Epos 3 (Kobo Sage)
Quote:
I do have the Boyue Likebook Mars 7.8″Android
I have that too, but it is not comparable to new Boox - especially the Tab - devices
Quote:
and a nice feature is being able to turn off the Google Framework (only a few apps need it on, Playstore and Google Play books etc). It's handy for the Irish Library Apps and Google PlayBooks etc, but even with KOReader,
In my opinion, KOreader is an unfinished and not particularly ergonomic tinkering solution
Quote:
it's a poor experience compared to Sony, Kindle or Kobo.
You're years behind.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 08-20-2023 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:47 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But it can only be used in the dark
That is not correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:28 AM   #28
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
That is not correct.
But - in the light you can at best admire yourself
Old 08-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #29
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How were you looking at the Best Buy website from a link pointing to Boox? Did you check Amazon? Boox Tab Mini C
Where did you get that from? I went to www.bestbuy.com. I told you all I can not open the link that was posted.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:47 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But - in the light you can at best admire yourself
Again wrong. Sure, direct sunlight is not good for an iPad. But not all light is bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote