Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 02:06 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks. That is an impressive list of formats. A clear edge especially in audio formats. I don't even know what pcr and tcr are so not having them is not much of a loss for me, I guess.
From the Kobo forums, it sounds like there's not actually much difference in tweakability. The stuff people do with the Kobos is quite impressive, and most (like KOReader which is my default) seems equally easy to install
.prc is an older version of Mobi.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/tcr
Quote:
What is a TCR file?

eBook created in the TCR format, which was originally used by the older Psion Series 3 palmtop devices developed in the 1990s; stores the eBook text and formatting in a proprietary format used internally by the Psion device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd only put epub and PDF (and only because it's not worth trying to convert a PDF) on a non-Kindle ereader.
And audio only on my phone / PC / Tablet. There are better phone apps for music or audio books than most dedicated audio players now. Also because the screen blanks the eink has no battery life advantage doing audio. And it fits in your pocket more easily (my smaller eink ereaders don't do audio anyway).

Unless you have no PC and are only downloading direct all the formats on a Pocket book are a bit of a gimmick.

My ereader charges when I connect to PC. I want backups. An ereader is more easily lost, stolen or broken. So even if I did download direct I'd want it on my PC and from there backed up. Especially bought ebooks.

I'd maybe buy a Pocketbook if Kobo didn't exist in current form.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:44 PM   #33
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I find the extensive format support Pocketbooks offer is exceedingly useful. I travel a lot and do so without a laptop/computer. It's very convenient for friends and family to email ebooks to my pocketbook without having to guide them through any kind of conversion beforehand.

Also, other than the initial sideload of books to my device, the majority of new ebooks I acquire myself are directly to the Pockebook. I really only connect the Pockebook to a computer to add new features, update 3rd party apps and to backup my ebooks to my computer
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:20 AM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I find the extensive format support Pocketbooks offer is exceedingly useful. I travel a lot and do so without a laptop/computer. It's very convenient for friends and family to email ebooks to my pocketbook without having to guide them through any kind of conversion beforehand.

Also, other than the initial sideload of books to my device, the majority of new ebooks I acquire myself are directly to the Pockebook. I really only connect the Pockebook to a computer to add new features, update 3rd party apps and to backup my ebooks to my computer

That makes sense. Since I use KOReader as my fdefaault, the only formats I'm not sure about from the Pocketbook list are FB2.zip, Docx, prc, tcr. All the rest can be opened. Those 4 MIGHT be, but I don't know
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:39 AM   #35
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Another plus point for a Pocketbook is the task manger system that allows multitasking, background running of apps etc.

I can listen to an audiobook on my device, whilst also browsing the web or playing sudoku on it at the same time. I struggle with ADD and find a little variation, multitasking, or just involving my hands helps in regulating my attention.

One thing I also do fairly frequently when reading in public, public transport etc, is play some background noise on the device whilst reading to help drown out any audible distractions. I have a few different MP3s for this purpose, woodland sounds, an industrial hum, waves breaking on the shore, crackling fire etc. I usually pick a background noise that best matches the genre of book I'm reading.

Yes, I usually have a smartphone with me which I could accomplish a similar experience with, but I find it easier and more convenient to do this on a single device; not having to manage multiple devices when getting on and off a train in a hurry is certainly less stressful. Also, my phone is usually stashed away on flightmode the majority of the time (even when not commuting) as I don't even like the possibility of interruption/distraction.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 11-21-2023 at 01:09 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:16 AM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Another plus point for a Pocketbook is the task manger system that allows multitasking, background running of apps etc.

I can listen to an audiobook on my device, whilst also browsing the web or playing sudoku on it at the same time. I struggle with ADD and find a little variation, multitasking, or just involving my hands helps in regulating my attention.

One thing I also do fairly frequently when reading in public, public transport etc, is play some background noise on the device whilst reading to help drown out any audible distractions. I have a few different MP3s for this purpose, woodland sounds, an industrial hum, waves breaking on the shore, crackling fire etc. I usually pick a background noise that best matches the genre of book I'm reading.

Yes, I usually have a smartphone on me also which I could accomplish a similar experience with, but it's just easier and more convenient to be able to do this on a single device. Not having to manage multiple devices when getting on and off a train in a hurry is certainly less stressful. My phone is usually stashed away on flightmode the majority of the time anyway as I don't even like the possibility of interruption.
I'm the opposite. I almost never travel, but when I go out, I always take my phone and I might also take my laptop or my Surface tablet (depending on the destination). Never my ereaders. I can't read a book elsewhere than my home, alone. In public transport I usually read the news or wikipedia articles on my phone, or just look out the window; reading a book would be impossible for me there. I need absolute peace and silence (cats don't count) to concentrate on a book.

I'm also incapable of multitasking; whenever I try, accidents happen immediately. So I sure don't need any games, speakers, web browser and stuff on my ereaders. For this reason Kobos suit me perfectly.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:26 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd maybe buy a Pocketbook if Kobo didn't exist in current form.
The four main reasons I like my PocketBooks better than my Kobos...
  • PocketBooks have ADE built-in. Nice to be able to download or move an .acsm file directly to the PocketBook and have it download the actual ePub on its own. I use Linux so no native Adobe Digital Editions available.
  • Font rendering. In my opinion fonts look better on the PocketBooks when reading ePubs (I rarely use KePubs).
  • Kobo's KePubs format numbers "pages" by screen, so the number of pages change with font or formatting changes. I don't like that. So I use ePubs on Kobos, but ePubs seem to be a low priority for Kobo. I get gaps at the ends of pages and the fonts are more "squatty." The formatting of ePubs is better on PocketBooks.
  • My 6" PocketBooks have page turn keys. My Kobos don't. (I realize this is not a problem for the larger screen Kobos, but I don't own one of them.)

Last edited by rcentros; 11-24-2023 at 12:35 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:01 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
an (not a) when followed by a word that has a vowel sound.

First letter of a sentence is capitalized?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
English is weird.

A directional coupler can be used as a return loss bridge.
A directional coupler can be used as an RLB.

A horse. An hotel. (Because it's from French and soft to non-existant h).

Adjective order. A long red dress. Never a red long dress. Native English speakers don't even realise there is rule. Others may have to learn.

Any "English" grammar or spelling rule historically taught to juniors has so many exceptions it's criminal how they used to teach. One of the few that's mostly true (the author mentions that sometimes the "rule" is broken, and why that might be.:
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/adjective-order/
Yet rarely taught in the past in UK/Ireland. No idea what they teach now. The "and" tip to see if a comma is needed is good.

Also subtle differences USA and non-USA beyond Webster's spelling reform or even volcabulary (muffler vs silencer). The article may be left out in USA but never elsewhere on some sentences, but I've no idea how the USA decides. USA may drop plurals in abbreviations such as Mathematics to Maths (USA is Math).

Some things have grey areas such as digits vs spelling for numbers (but never spell in full telephone numbers, credit cards and house numbers). Spelling ages is common, with a hyphen like thirty-seven, because it used to be seven and thirty years old.

Commas are the most wicked invention.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-24-2023 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Dreaded brain rot
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote