larger one 46 63.89%
smaller one 16 22.22%
no difference (same) 9 12.50%
don't know 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2024, 09:43 AM   #46
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
It showed $26.99 a few minutes ago, not $40, so a discount for today at least.
LDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:45 PM   #47
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Shalym, thank you for the info. If Kobo doesn't come up with something, I may get one. Unfortunately, I have very narrow margins. The pictures on the Amazon site look like more then 1/8" overhang.

Does it physically tap the screen each time you push a button? Both devices are rechargable?
It doesn't tap the screen at all...As far as I can tell, it sends a capacitive signal through to the part that is touching the screen when you press the button on the remote. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when connected to my Oasis.

Yes, both parts are rechargeable using USB-C.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PageTurner.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	797.5 KB
ID:	205841  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 02:49 PM   #48
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Oh, it's hard to tell how it's operating. I saw the small "window" on the device and presumed that it was infrared.

But I am interested in it!
It's just that there are many finger ring Bluetooth devices that don't need a receiver clipped to your ereader and if that is possible to get working it would be a better option in my opinion. Also, doesn't this only go forward?

As I'm mentioned elsewhere, I'm using custom hardware and custom software to get what (for me) is the ultimate solution. I can go forward/back (which I tend to do a lot), check the time (I don't want a clock on a normal page) and most especially, I can flip between the text and the notes in the back of the book. I prefer a key fob to a ring.
Oh, I completely understand. You are correct that it only goes forward, not back. I've been searching for something that will work with all of my devices for a long time, and this comes closest--it won't work with my Kobo, because I have one of the older non-capacitive touch screen models, but it works with everything else, including my phone and tablet, should I want to use them for reading.

Shari
Old 01-16-2024, 03:04 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It doesn't tap the screen at all...As far as I can tell, it sends a capacitive signal through to the part that is touching the screen when you press the button on the remote. I've attached a picture of what it looks like when connected to my Oasis.

Yes, both parts are rechargeable using USB-C.

Shari
Again, thank you. Your Oasis is a flush screen? Have you tried it with a non-flush screen with very little overhang?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:19 PM   #50
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Again, thank you. Your Oasis is a flush screen? Have you tried it with a non-flush screen with very little overhang?
I haven't tried it with a non-flush screen, sorry, and I don't have any device here right now that is both non-flush and capacitive--my daughter has my PW3, and she's out of state right now.

Shari
Advert
Old 01-16-2024, 03:50 PM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The amazon web page has a link to a newer model for $5 more which can page back by having yet another thingy that goes on the other side.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:05 PM   #52
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It doesn't tap the screen at all...
Actually, I've made one of those before.
You take one of those notebook hole punchers and punch 1/4" round of copper tape.
You solder a pair of diodes to it.
With the diodes reverse polarized, it's like it's not there.
When you forward polarize the diodes it's like a decent size capacitance (i.e. finger) is on there.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:08 PM   #53
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The amazon web page has a link to a newer model for $5 more which can page back by having yet another thingy that goes on the other side.
Slaps my forehead.

What the heck is the matter with an honest Bluetooth???
Old 01-16-2024, 04:19 PM   #54
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Bluetooth doesn't work with all devices. This should work with all capacitive screens as long as it fits.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:34 PM   #55
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Bluetooth doesn't work with all devices.
Correct. But really, having Bluetooth is a pretty low bar in this age.
Most of the processors have it built in.
There's not much excuse for not having it.
I take notes sometime and I like a keyboard.
Also heart monitor, OBD-II for the car, Bluetooth headphones, digitizer tablets...
Old 01-16-2024, 04:54 PM   #56
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
My car doesn't have OBD-II. Why replace something if it's working? I don't need new fancy features, etc. Point A to Point B with as little hassle as possible.

It would cost me 20x the price I paid for my car to replace it with a comparable new vehicle and even if the newer vehicle gets 3x the mileage my current one, I would never have a return on investment.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:55 PM   #57
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I use my largest ones like my Scribe or Elipsa
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:05 PM   #58
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Correct. But really, having Bluetooth is a pretty low bar in this age.
Most of the processors have it built in.
There's not much excuse for not having it.
I take notes sometime and I like a keyboard.
Also heart monitor, OBD-II for the car, Bluetooth headphones, digitizer tablets...
amazon probably doesn't include the applicable driver module and locks the OS down. I think people have got jailbroken kindles to work with bluetooth clickers, but that isn't an option for most kindle users.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:42 PM   #59
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Bluetooth doesn't work with all devices. This should work with all capacitive screens as long as it fits.
It's a must for any Kindle.
Most older ereaders have no BT.
Even on Kobos that have BT, it's simpler for most people to use the clip on BT pager.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:50 PM   #60
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
My car doesn't have OBD-II.
Mine doesn't either. It's a 1995. It does have ALDL which is almost OBD-I.
I have custom hardware and software running off it.

Err, this isn't running off Bluetooth either, just hardwired.
I try not to clog up the airwaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obdscan.png
Views:	44
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	205843  

Last edited by Renate; 01-16-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Tags
ereader, large displays, smaller display size