Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Return rate: Android vs. iOS

I've exchanged my Sony Tablet S (16GB to 32GB because of the limitations in the SD-card [=no App2SD]) in German Saturn Market 10 days ago.
The sales guy gave me an interesting and (at least to me) surprising info:
The return rate of Android tablets in Saturn Market in Germany "is enormous".
He didn't have exact figures "but somewhere in the range of at least 30%".
They accept those returns without questions asked, but typically they ask for kind of a re-stocking fee of ca. € 50.
The most common reason for returning the tablets: "Customers expected a Windows like experience and are extremely frustrated when they can't do lots of professional tasks on these tablets. For some weeks now we very intensively inform every customer what to expect and what not".
And: "Return rate of iPads is close to zero. We have 2 theories for that: a.) iPads are more expensive, so customers think more carefully about it and b.) Apple seems to have a more enthusiastic and loyal fanbase".

To me, this all came as a huge surprise.
First of all, I'm surprised about a significant return rate anyway. Everybody should know what to expect by now.
Second of all, I didn't expect (actually never have thought about it) significant differences between iPad and Android. Maybe it's because the Android landscape is more diverse? Maybe a € 400 tablet is an impulse buy, whereas an € 700 iPad takes more consideration? Maybe Android is more interesting for the gadget freaks, willing to experiment and tune? Whereas iPad is more closed and limited, but on the other hand kind of "simple and clean"?...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
iPad user expectations are more well known and more often are satisfied by the device and OS. Also iOS (as used for both iPhone & iPad) interface is quite snappy, with VERY few hesitations or delays. Android doesn't seem to put quite as much polish or priority into that facet of the user experience.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I'm not in the least surprised. Have a look at the German ebay site and search for Tablet PCs. There are many that are sold after a very short time of ownership.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Tablets are still fairly new, so people will probably want to try them out ("Large, touch sensitive screen?? WOW!").. Then they realize that they don't need them, and return/sell them. And cheaper tablets such as the androids, are easier bought then 499$+ iPads.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
sounds like android tablets are bought more on impulse than ipads, without doing much research into what they do

the reason for returns "customers expected a windows like experience", i didnt think either of the devices offered this
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Apple has a bit of a cult following where a lot of the Regular Android
users are Tech guys who grasp what the device is and what it can do.

I would also think people who return an android device got it without really
understanding what it is, while the apple people may have tried out a friends.

So to hand a Technical device to Mr (or Mrs) Public, many are lost
and since most wont take the time to learn it they just return it.

I think some may get one to be hip and trendy only to realize they
really have no use for it at all. Like the guy who never reads a book
but gets a eReader because everyone else has one.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
sounds like android tablets are bought more on impulse than ipads, without doing much research into what they do

the reason for returns "customers expected a windows like experience", i didnt think either of the devices offered this
Exactly. With tablets becoming less expensive, I can see people trying out the cheaper Android tablets to see what all the fuss is about.

With the iPad, it's well advertised and a lot more ubiquitous so people more or less know what to expect. The iOS interface hasn't really changed all that much since 2007 when the original iPhone was released.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
Another factor may be the variety of the Android tablets. The iPad is an excellent piece of hardware, and iOS is tailored to work on it well (or vice versa). With Android devices, you have high end hardware devices, but you also have the cheap hardware devices - some of which cannot exploit the full capabilities of the operating system. That may set some buyers up for disappointment.

Considering that factor, I'd be interested to see the number of Asus's returned verses the amount of Coby's. (or similar brands...)

-
On another note, I own a first generation iPad, a Toshiba Thrive and an Acer A100 (Android 3.2). All three are good devices. But even though the iPad is older it is still smoother and I have more apps available. Until I find an Android equivalent to DoodleCast Pro or ScreenChomp (or even ShowMe or EduCreations) I have to stick with the iPad.
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkndog View Post
Considering that factor, I'd be interested to see the number of Asus's returned verses the amount of Coby's. (or similar brands...)
Those numbers would be good to see. I'm curious to see how close the return numbers are between the high-end and low-end models.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Those numbers would be good to see. I'm curious to see how close the return numbers are between the high-end and low-end models.

Actually I returned my Kindle fire for a "higher" Tablet (Galaxy Tab 2)
So that could be another factor, since I'd say most Android users are
a bit more on the technical side of things.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
Rylon
Hungry Polar Bear
Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rylon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi + 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The most common reason for returning the tablets: "Customers expected a Windows like experience and are extremely frustrated when they can't do lots of professional tasks on these tablets..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
i didnt think either of the devices offered this
I don't think they do.

Here's my take. For years, decades even, Apple has been "the alternative to windows." Even more so since their move to Unix FreeBSD Mac OS X. Thus, Apple is the "not windows" of the computing world. Well, with tablets, Apple is the industry leader. The alternative to Apple is Android. So I bet some people are thinking since Apple is "not windows" then Android must "windows". These people may or may not think Android is affiliated with Microsoft, but they clearly think it's more like windows than Apple's iOs.

Prediction, Windows 8 is going to be a big hit in Germany.
Rylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #12
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkndog View Post
Another factor may be the variety of the Android tablets. The iPad is an excellent piece of hardware, and iOS is tailored to work on it well (or vice versa). With Android devices, you have high end hardware devices, but you also have the cheap hardware devices - some of which cannot exploit the full capabilities of the operating system. That may set some buyers up for disappointment.

That was my first guess too. But looking at the Saturn Markt site, they only sell three Android tablets and all of them are brand names. So thats not it. Plus, the Apple 2 is about the same price as the lowest Android tabs. So impulse buy is not the solution either. My guess is that most people realized they don't really need one. Cool, but not that practical yet.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Is the original poster comparing apples and apples? I think the equivalent iPad and brand name 10" android tablets cost about the same here in the US.

I don't think it's the fanatic Mac fans that are buying the bulk of iPads, else they would sell about as many iPads as Macs, i.e., not a whole lot.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wonder if they're seeing partly the return of gift tablets. People who got a tablet for xmas and didn't want a tablet particularly. Lots of Kindle Fires got returned to Amazon in January, I know. They were probably the ones that went on sale in the 'refurbished KF for $139' sale.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Harry_Y
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
That was my first guess too. But looking at the Saturn Markt site, they only sell three Android tablets and all of them are brand names. So thats not it. Plus, the Apple 2 is about the same price as the lowest Android tabs. So impulse buy is not the solution either. My guess is that most people realized they don't really need one. Cool, but not that practical yet.

My wife has been watching me use mine........

I have a feeling I will soon have to buy her one