Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 PM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, it looks interesting. But the wait at my two libraries is more than four months.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #47
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
This isn't a nomination. The book is too long (almost 700 pages) and too strange for a book club, but The Saragossa Manuscript by Jan Potocki fits the theme very well.
Quote:
It's the story of a soldier, Alphonse van Worden, who is traveling to Madrid and along the way encounters bandits, cabbalists, scientists, ghosts, the Inquisition, gypsies, and a pair of alluring Muslim princesses who may or may not be his distant cousins. What is real, what is story, and what is dream become so confused that the result achieves an irreverent blend of fantasy and Gothic romanticism. The book’s heroes are not only at odds with the forces of law and order but also with the structures of narrative and plot. There is van Worden’s frame story as he tries to reach Madrid, then there are the stories he encounters on his journey, and then there are the stories within those stories until finally nothing is certain.
There are stories within stories within stories. At one point we are five or more layers deep.

There is an excellent movie (Jerry Garcia's favorie), restored by Martin Scorsese, starring Zbigniew Cybulski, “the Polish James Dean”.
https://www.tor.com/2009/03/10/jan-p...-in-saragossa/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll third Once Upon a River.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #49
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll third Ever After. It's not available at either of my libraries, but it's only £5.99 in the U.K., so a reasonable price ($10 CAD, or $7.40 USD). And it sounds interesting.

Charlie.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #50
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm late to the party. I was on a work trip and thought I'd have more time but couldn't even keep up with reading the thread....

I will add a book from the public domain and nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë. It is on a list of popular framed narrative novels (stories within stories) and is told through letters. That's how I am choosing to interpret the theme.

From Amazon:
Quote:
A mysterious young widow arrives at Wildfell Hall, an Elizabethan mansion which has been empty for many years, with her young son and servant. She lives there in strict seclusion under the assumed name Helen Graham and very soon finds herself the victim of local slander. Refusing to believe anything scandalous about her, Gilbert Markham, a young farmer, discovers her dark secrets. In her diary, Helen writes about her husband's physical and moral decline through alcohol, and the world of debauchery and cruelty from which she has fled.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm out of nominations, but I'd love to see Tenant of Wildfell Hall make it to the poll.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 PM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm late to the party. I was on a work trip and thought I'd have more time but couldn't even keep up with reading the thread....

I will add a book from the public domain and nominate The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë. It is on a list of popular framed narrative novels (stories within stories) and is told through letters. That's how I am choosing to interpret the theme.

From Amazon:
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm out of nominations, but I'd love to see Tenant of Wildfell Hall make it to the poll.
Well, I was holding out to see what else might come in, and I guess this is why. I'll second it with my last ticket.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #53
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

We've got a day to go before nominations close.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #54
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

I third Tenant. I'm not much of a fan of the other two Bronte sisters, but I've never read anything by Anne, and this title has been on my "someday" list for eons.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I third Tenant. I'm not much of a fan of the other two Bronte sisters, but I've never read anything by Anne, and this title has been on my "someday" list for eons.
I'd always held that there are Emily people and there are Charlotte people and I was firmly in the Wuthering Heights camp. Jane Eyre is a lot more sloggish and there's much that's distinctly creepy about Mr. Rochester. Heathcliff, your garden-variety sociopath, didn't bother me nearly as much!

But then I read Villette a few years ago and loved it, so now I give Charlotte her due also.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd always held that there are Emily people and there are Charlotte people and I was firmly in the Wuthering Heights camp. Jane Eyre is a lot more sloggish and there's much that's distinctly creepy about Mr. Rochester. Heathcliff, your garden-variety sociopath, didn't bother me nearly as much!

But then I read Villette a few years ago and loved it, so now I give Charlotte her due also.
I definitely prefer Wuthering Heights to Jane Eyre, but that's not saying a whole lot, since I despised Jane Eyre when it was foisted on me in high school and haven't been able to get through a rereading as an adult.

I revisited Wuthering Heights a couple of years ago via audiobook. Eh.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:08 PM   #57
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’ve been away for a few days too, so am relieved to see that there is still time to second The Memory Chalet. It has some passionate reviewers.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #58
CRussel
(he/him/his)

In another thread, we were speaking of favourite narrators. Well, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall has 8 unabridged narrations on Audible, but one of them is read by two of my absolute favourite narrators, Frederick Davidson (David Case) and Nadia May (Wanda McCaddon). That alone will be enough to push it onto my active TBR whether we select it or not.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #59
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
If it hadn’t already been thirded, I would have voted for The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.I’ve never read anything by Anne Bronte, so now I’m quite curious.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #60
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I read Agnes Grey by Anne last year. I’m slowly making my way through their works. A friend who grew up in Yorkshire said he and his wife really enjoyed the BBC series To Walk Invisible about the sisters.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote