Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Lightbulb Java Viewer Booster Pack

I've combined the DJVU and CBZ viewers into a single JAR and added a new launcher that sits in front of the Mobipocket, DJVU and CBZ viewers.

The launcher figures out which viewer to use and starts that viewer.

This has a couple useful benefits. iRex still plays favorites about which viewers get their launched documents stored in Recent Documents. By intercepting the launch in this fashion CBZ and DJVU documents now get recorded in Recent Documents.

The sed scripts I need to write to install this for Average Joe's get easier to write, but I'm still waiting until tomorrow when my mind will be less sleepy. Don't write brickable sed scripts when you're sleepy.

I also discovered the obvious: contentLister hides .mbp files. So even though I'm not using .mbp file format, I call my file .mbp.

The DJVU and CBZ viewers now save the last "page" position and recover it the next time you open the document in that .mbp file.

I'm attaching source and binaries for the non-Average Joe's to kick around whilst I sleep. The javadjvu.jar is in the build directory, yes, it got smaller. I turned off compilation for all the stuff that doesn't currently work on the iLiad.

Put the build/javadjvu.jar from the tar in /home/intent.

Change this line in /home/intent/runmobi.sh

Code:
    JVMARGS="-classpath javadjvu.jar;MobipocketCoreReader.jar;kxml2-2.3.0.jar;irex.jar com.scotty1024.iliadviewer.Viewer {ROOTDIR/$1}"
The update the extensions in er_registry.txt by removing any previous entries for DJVU and CBZ viewers and then update the entry for MOBIPOCKET to add the new file extensions.

Code:
[MOBIPOCKET]
category=viewer
arguments=<FILENAME>
exec=/home/intent/runmobi.sh
xResourceName=intent
channel=15
extensions=prc;PRC;pdb;PDB;mobi;MOBI;cbz;CBZ;cbr;CBR;djvu;DJVU;rtf;RTF
I'm going ahead and claiming rtf and cbr at this point.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 iliadviwers-0.1.tar.bz2 (333.6 KB, 846 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
tororebelde
No es el toro que piensas
tororebelde began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Awesome!! Congratulations Scotty1024. This is great news to start the week. I'm going to download the package and try things out.

Great stuff.
tororebelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Does the launcher look at er_registry.txt, or does it associate the filetypes with applications internally? I'm wondering because I'd like to default HTML, TXT, and some other types to fbreader.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Lightbulb Average Joe Installer is here

Here is the Average Joe installer!

Extract ZIP file onto an MMC/CF/USB device or onto your iLiad's internal memory.

You will should now be able to find an entry saying "Install Mobipocket Viewer Booster Pack."

Click on it, lights blink and the entry changes to read "Remove Mobipocket Viewer Booster Pack."

You will need to reboot to associate the new file types with the booster pack viewers.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip iliadviwers_0.2.zip (126.9 KB, 741 views)
Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
So this must be for me, thanks a lot, i´m enjoying a lot my Iliad and that´s thanks to all the developers (i don´t want to name them since i sure will forget someone) that make this "programs" available for Average Joes like me.

Thanks again Scotty.

Jose
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Does the launcher look at er_registry.txt, or does it associate the filetypes with applications internally? I'm wondering because I'd like to default HTML, TXT, and some other types to fbreader.
Associations are set by er_registry.txt.

One thing to be aware of, the registry upgrades can make multiple copies of the FBREADER section in your er_registry.txt file. You may need to remove duplicates and then set the extensions you want bound to fbreader.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #8
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Hi Scotty, although I don't have time to do any real programming on the iLiad right now I decided to take a look at the source code - but the project failed to open. Which version of Netbeans and Java do you use, and do you have any special modules/configuration/something?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 AM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Hi Scotty, although I don't have time to do any real programming on the iLiad right now I decided to take a look at the source code - but the project failed to open. Which version of Netbeans and Java do you use, and do you have any special modules/configuration/something?
I use Emacs 22.1.50 hand configured and compiled from CVS.
I use the JDK 1.5.0_07 supplied by Apple Inc.
I use the build.sh with GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (powerpc-apple-darwin8.0) in Terminal, both supplied by Apple Inc.

I'm a "Command Line" kinda guy.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 AM   #10
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I use Emacs 22.1.50 hand configured and compiled from CVS.
I use the JDK 1.5.0_07 supplied by Apple Inc.
I use the build.sh with GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (powerpc-apple-darwin8.0) in Terminal, both supplied by Apple Inc.

I'm a "Command Line" kinda guy.
I sort of figured - so I was surprised when I saw the netbeans artifacts. But there are netbeans project files and ant build files -- but you don't use them?
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

I use Ant myself but in this case the Lizard Tech project's build.sh makes it easier for Unix based casual developers: no IDE to install, not ant to get working.

If you are using a Mac all the developers tools needed are pre-installed by Apple.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned

Does anyone want DJVU/CBZ zoom or would you rather have a Java web browser/PDF viewer & annotation tool first?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
azerty
azerty began at the beginning.

Device: iliad/palm TX
pdf viewer with search / jump to page would be nice

Are there Java-based pdf vieuwers out there? I really miss the search function. A textfield to enter a string or page number would be sufficient as for a GUI.
I was astonished about the speed with which you,scotty, ported the viewers to Java.

[edit] This could be a starting point? http://www.jpedal.org/viewer.php

Last edited by azerty; 05-16-2007 at 05:32 PM.
azerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Being able to annotate on non-PDF documents (and search PDF docs) would be very nice.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerty
Are there Java-based pdf vieuwers out there? I really miss the search function. A textfield to enter a string or page number would be sufficient as for a GUI.
I was astonished about the speed with which you,scotty, ported the viewers to Java.

[edit] This could be a starting point? http://www.jpedal.org/viewer.php

Here is one with search function to look at (commercial)
http://www.icesoft.com/products/demos_icepdf.html
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote