Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 PM   #16
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You buy a brand new Kobo Libra Color and that Javascript WILL NOT WORK if you read the eBook as an ePub. Besides, it looks awful.
What does it look awful? The dropcap? If so, is your opinion; many, many people like dropcaps. My epub3 dropcaps are FOR EPUB3. With javascript I control the size and position of the drop so always looks optimal AND THAT IS ONLY FOR EPUB3, do you understand? And since epub2 ignores the javascript code, I employ another css to format there the drop (it's not optimal when the user changes the font-size, but, is near).

By the way, Kobo has a nice support for epub3; just test the iOS or Android app and you'll see that.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:51 PM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That looks awful. Javascript does not work in most cases.
?

Evidently you don't use javascript, otherwise you wouldn't do such statement. PocketBook, Gitden, Reasily, Lithium, Aldiko, Cantook, Kobo, Bluefire, Infinity Reader, BookFusion, Overdrive, ADE, Thorium, Foliate, Koodo Reader, Sigil, Readium, BibiReader, EpubJS, Calibre Viewer, NeatReader. In all these programs and apps, epub3 and javascript is supported perfectly and I test my epubs on all of them. Please, tell us an epub3 program or app that is not supporting javascript. If you can't do that, then your statement "Javascript does not work in most cases" is false.

Quote:
It will break and look even worse.
Another statement of someone who knows very few about epub3 and javascript. Please, be more humble.

Quote:
The chapter header takes up way too much space. The dropcap also takes up too much space. Having it colored red is awful. It's a total disaster.
You make me laught. I can give the header any size; I can give the drop any size. But you are so blind that you do not realize that the second screenshot is the same as the first but with the font increased so that you can see how the dropcap maintains its proportion and location (do that on epub2; you won't be able). You also didn't realize that while the size of the body text increased, the size of the title and subtitle remained constant.

Quote:
There is no need to attempt to make complicated formatting when something simple can be done instead and look so much better.
Don't try to justify what you don't know under the mask of simplicity. My epubs are complex and simple at the same time. They have the most suitable code to provide the best reading experience for those who have a modern ereader, and they also have a simpler code that provides what epub2 can provide. If you don't know how to do it, that's your problem, but don't criticize those who know how to do it and do it.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:03 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
What you are saying is that you don't like the way it is...That's fine, you are welcome to your opinion.

However, you keep forgetting the part where you have fallback coding .... if the device doesn't support the newer methods it ... wait for it ... falls back to the older styling that it can support. That is a win-win for everyone. You don't have to keep people who have the newer devices - which support the ePub3 standard, and all the bells and whistles - from using them.
What's the fallback code for Javascript?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:04 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are still missing the point (I think it is actually on purpose) that is an EXAMPLE of the code possibilities. You certainly are not stuck with doing it exactly how his EXAMPLE shows every time. With this EXAMPLE you can see what the POSSIBILITIES are...
It's also an example of code that's not compatible enough if the eBook is for sale.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:07 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
What does it look awful? The dropcap? If so, is your opinion; many, many people like dropcaps. My epub3 dropcaps are FOR EPUB3. With javascript I control the size and position of the drop so always looks optimal AND THAT IS ONLY FOR EPUB3, do you understand? And since epub2 ignores the javascript code, I employ another css to format there the drop (it's not optimal when the user changes the font-size, but, is near).

By the way, Kobo has a nice support for epub3; just test the iOS or Android app and you'll see that.
The excess space for the chapter header, the dropcap, the sans-serif font, and the red color. All look terrible.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:38 AM   #21
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
If the device doesn't support JS it ignores it and the CSS is displayed. That is called "fallback" coding... CSS itself has built-in fallback functionality via the order of precedence, or css specificity, system...

Quote:
It's also an example of code that's not compatible enough if the eBook is for sale.
It is completely compatible with ALL books because the coder has used fallback coding...

Quote:
The excess space for the chapter header, the dropcap, the sans-serif font, and the red color. All look terrible.
Purely your opinion...and stated here as an EXAMPLE of the possibilities...stop trying to throw your opinion out there as ePub doctrine.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:39 AM   #22
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
I really have to make efforts to stay calm. With each new statement from you, I become more and more convinced that you know very little about the epub protocol (both epub2 and epub3). Of course it's not a sin to ignore something (none of us were born knowing), but it's a sin to try to teach from ignorance, as is your case.

What do you think I use javascript for (which by the way, you talk about it but you don't know what it's for). I USE JAVASCRIPT TO FORMAT TEXT AND PARAGRAPHS. And since epub2 doesn't support javascript, the code is ignored and the special formatting (for devices that accept epub3) IS NOT APPLIED. Rich formatting has no place in epub2. In that case there is no need for alternative code.

I explain it to you again because I see that you are very closed and don't understand things:

1) I write code for epub2 (this is the base code).
2) I check if the device accepts certain CSS code through the @supports instruction.
3) I write that CSS3 code in case it is supported.
4) The code in step 3) is a layer on the code I wrote in step 1). If the code of step3 is not supported, then the style ("the layer") is ignored and the base code I wrote in step 1) takes place. Do you understand?
5) I check through javascript if the property I wrote in point 3) was accepted. If it was, then I apply more corrections to the epub (I change styles, I change style sheets, I apply special layouts and many other things -basically, I apply responsive formats when font-size is changed).
6) What if the device only accepts epub2 and reject javascript? NOTHING HAPPENS. The code in point 5) doesn't take place and the base code remains active.

Please don't talk more about what you don't know. You already stated a falsehood when you stated that javascript was not supported by the majority of ereaders. I asked you to name a single epub3 ereader that doesn't support javascript and you couldn't do it. How much more nonsense do we have to read from you?

Last edited by RbnJrg; 04-28-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:46 AM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
@RbnJrg: JSWolf is, and has always been (AFAIR), an ePub2 ONLY person. He refuses to acknowledge that ePub3 has more/better/newer capabilities...so...he refuses to believe that it is possible to code for both ePub3/JS and still provide fallback to ePub2 if the device doesn't support it. Hopefully, someday, he will actually learn something about the subject instead of forcing everyone to use ePub2 coding that he can understand.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #24
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
@RbnJrg: JSWolf is, and has always been (AFAIR), an ePub2 ONLY person. He refuses to acknowledge that ePub3 has more/better/newer capabilities...so...he refuses to believe that it is possible to code for both ePub3/JS and still provide fallback to ePub2 if the device doesn't support it. Hopefully, someday, he will actually learn something about the subject instead of forcing everyone to use ePub2 coding that he can understand.