Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy

Gentlefolk;

Thought I would pick up Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy for my Kindle, but Amazon is not terribly clear, to me at least, if there is the three books in one download, or if I purchase each book separately?

Is there one file that has all the "Foundation" books in it?

Thx!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
Gentlefolk;

Thought I would pick up Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy for my Kindle, but Amazon is not terribly clear, to me at least, if there is the three books in one download, or if I purchase each book separately?

Is there one file that has all the "Foundation" books in it?

Thx!

Don
On Amazon's kindle books pages, I found the Foundation series, but they all look to be sold separately.......

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12838717...0Asimov&page=1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This pages lists them in order....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rilogy&x=0&y=0
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
dwallbaum
Zealot

Thanks, that was the info I found... I was just confused about if the first book was all three or not. I know there is a hardcover with all three books in one. Thought there would be the same option for the Kindle book (and one $8 is better than 3-$8....).

Thx!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's much more annoying in Canada. The bound-as-one Foundation Trilogy is $10.20 as a p-book from Amazon; the Kindle editions are not sold to Canadians. Kobo buyers can't get it either ... unless they buy them from Sony Reader Store which WILL sell the series in Canada in separate e-book volumes for $7.59 each. Or, if you don't want e-pub, you can buy drm PDF from Fictionwise at $7.99 each if you live in Canada. Oh, and don't bother at the library: my library doesn't carry a single edition of ANY Asimov in any format, including audiobooks. *sigh*
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I feel obligated to warn you against wasting your time on Foundation's Fear by Benford.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I feel obligated to warn you against wasting your time on Foundation's Fear by Benford.
I haven't read any of the novels written after Asimov's death. I would also recommend avoiding the prequel novels and probably Foundation and Earth as well. They are ok books, but not, IMHO, quite up to the original trilogy and Foundation's Edge.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #8
dwallbaum
Zealot

I learned my lesson on reading "sanctioned" additions to a genre by reading a couple of the post-Fleming Bond books. Truly horrible. Well, maybe not _truly_ horrible, for I have read worse, but not worth the money I paid for the PBs.

No, I am looking for the straight, original, Asimov collection.

I guess if I want it bad enough I will buy them.

Thx!

(No "Foundation" in Canada? What did Asimov ever do to Canadians??)
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
There is at least one decent sanctioned Asimov spin-off out there. The trilogy Roger MacBride Allen wrote based on Asimov's Robots series is great. I would include the first book, Caliban, in my 100 favourite books (this is better praise than it might seem. I have read a lot of books...). Even if you knew nothing about Asimov's 3 Rules, it would still be a great detective novel.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
There is at least one decent sanctioned Asimov spin-off out there. The trilogy Roger MacBride Allen wrote based on Asimov's Robots series is great. I would include the first book, Caliban, in my 100 favourite books (this is better praise than it might seem. I have read a lot of books...). Even if you knew nothing about Asimov's 3 Rules, it would still be a great detective novel.
I will agree... Caliban was a very decent read. I never got around to the other two books in the series, but I wouldn't mind reading them. I think it helped that RMA was not trying to advance Asimov's Universe, but rather to tell a story in his own little niche of that universe (at least with respect to the first book, I am not sure about the others).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I will agree... Caliban was a very decent read. I never got around to the other two books in the series, but I wouldn't mind reading them. I think it helped that RMA was not trying to advance Asimov's Universe, but rather to tell a story in his own little niche of that universe (at least with respect to the first book, I am not sure about the others).

--
Bill
Well, without spoiling too much, I will say that the focus of both of the other books is firmly on just the planet of Inferno. They don't suddenly all go on a road trip to Earth.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I liked the "authorized" books. A "not as good as the original" book can still be a "pretty good read" and that's what I found them to be. I liked the prequel books written in the Duniverse as well.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
No Asimov in the library at all? What's up with that? He was one of the great Science Fiction writers of the 20th century!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
It's much more annoying in Canada. The bound-as-one Foundation Trilogy is $10.20 as a p-book from Amazon; the Kindle editions are not sold to Canadians. Kobo buyers can't get it either ... unless they buy them from Sony Reader Store which WILL sell the series in Canada in separate e-book volumes for $7.59 each. Or, if you don't want e-pub, you can buy drm PDF from Fictionwise at $7.99 each if you live in Canada. Oh, and don't bother at the library: my library doesn't carry a single edition of ANY Asimov in any format, including audiobooks. *sigh*
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
FLP to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
No Asimov in the library at all? What's up with that? He was one of the great Science Fiction writers of the 20th century!
As W.C. Fields once said (jokingly), "I once spent a year in Philadelphia, I think it was on a Sunday." Another quotation attributed to the great comedian: "Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia."

Not that you or anyone else should relocate there, but the Free Library of Philadelphia has Books 1 - 3 of the Foundation series, as pdf files. This is core SF reading, so I would not fret about buying the ebooks or pbooks. There are worse things you could spend your money on, like Dan Brown's attempts at writing.

Last edited by Fat Abe; 09-13-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yup. But unfortunately, at least the libraries I frequent, are turning into Blockbuster video. Not just focusing more on DVDs, but almost how they handle books. Order a bazillion copies of what's on the bestsellers list. Throw out all the old books when they get worn out.

They do have a large number of ghost written William Shatner novels. And a lot of comic books...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote