Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Flights with no e-readers?!

There has been a lot of talk about possible banning of electronic devices in cabin on some or all flights due to the latest terrorist dimwit. This could be an issue for those of us with e-readers?

http://consumerist.com/2009/12/next-...puterless.html

What say you all about this? There is presently, as usual, a great abundance of rumor and misinformation about electronic device bans. Real or not?

Last edited by CCDMan; 12-27-2009 at 09:22 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And what happens if your reader packed in your luggage breaks because of rough baggage handling? Will the airport replace it? And given the fact that the 505 is no longer made, I'd expect to get the money for whatever the current model is.

This is just stupid to be honest.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
And what happens if your reader packed in your luggage breaks because of rough baggage handling? Will the airport replace it? And given the fact that the 505 is no longer made, I'd expect to get the money for whatever the current model is.

Oh yeah, for sure. But just think how secure you will feel with the TSA protecting you. Plus, now I can feel secure while sitting and staring at a seat back for umpteen hours. What BS. The security folks are always fighting the last war when the terrorists have almost certainly moved on to the next one. I think my next trip will be by car. At least then my biggest threat will be the idiot texting in the next lane. <g>

Last edited by CCDMan; 12-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I think this could be true for devices which will connect somewhere wirelessly...

I don't believe it would be true for none wireless devices..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

No. No. No. This is a *good* regulation! More ereaders packed away in luggage where the baggage apes can get to them means more broken K2s for me to buy cheap on eBay! I'm hoping for at least two DXs (still under a month or two of warranty, of course) for about $35 each!

Yes, we must have MORE regulations such as this!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
They should focus on much better searches for people who are on the suspicious list, and stopping those people carry explosives in plastic bags onto the plane!

To the best of my knowledge, he didn't try and blow the plane up with a kindle!

amjb

Last edited by amjbrown; 12-28-2009 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling, sense and grammar - otherwise perrfect!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
TSA: The personification of Security Theater.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
They are taking terromist to a level that isn't combined with the acts.

They are banishing a device that will be the best way to entertain themselves when in a flight.

I think they don't need to do these things, but encourage the use. As we need more persons with a upper grade on culture and knowledge. And these devices are one of the best for this.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I would be much more apprehensive being on a flight where a member of MobileRead had his eReader taken from him than I would be sitting next to a terrorist. At least there is a chance the terrorist might change his mind but deprive one of us out-of-control Bookworms of our reader and you are in Threat Condition RED
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
This is terrible... I'm going on a long trip at the end of Jan, and there is no way that I'm putting my reader in my checked in luggage; I would consider checking in my laptop, but not my reader.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
But I label this as a kind of small idiot. As the laptops aren't prohibted too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
This is terrible... I'm going on a long trip at the end of Jan, and there is no way that I'm putting my reader in my checked in luggage; I would consider checking in my laptop, but not my reader.
Good idea
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This all seems to be down to rather lax security at the airport in Nigeria where the gentleman boarded the aircraft. It seems like rather an "over the top" reaction to "punish" people on domestic flights in the US, where there is already excellent security.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Do you suppose this would also apply to cell phones? If not, you always have the option of reading on one of those.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just one more power grab in the name of "protecting" us. Just like all the homeland security and patriot act krap that subverts our rights and does nothing to "protect" us.

Sorry....

Last edited by kennyc; 12-28-2009 at 07:48 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Oh yeah, for sure. But just think how secure you will feel with the TSA protecting you. Plus, now I can feel secure while sitting and staring at a seat back for umpteen hours. What BS. The security folks are always fighting the last war when the terrorists have almost certainly moved on to the next one. I think my next trip will be by car. At least then my biggest threat will be the idiot texting in the next lane. <g>
Exactly. Reacting instead of acting.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote