Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #1
ayme08
ayme08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Lightbulb Onyx Boox Note Air+

Hi all there!

I plan to buy a Onyx Boox Note Air+ for near 400$ with cover and want advise from users using that one.

Is it quiet reader for the price ?
ayme08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I have no idea, but have you carefully compared it to the Note 3?

I'm happy with my Poke 3 (6", no stylus, Android 10) and it seems Onyx tries to make things consistent across models.

Big displays = big money.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
ayme08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I have no idea, but have you carefully compared it to the Note 3?

I'm happy with my Poke 3 (6", no stylus, Android 10) and it seems Onyx tries to make things consistent across models.

Big displays = big money.
Yes i want big display and stylus to anotate PDF documents
Old 06-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme08 View Post
I plan to buy a Onyx Boox Note Air+ for near 400$ with cover and want advise from users using that one.
Yes, I have a Boox Note Air and use it as a notepad with a keyboard and stylus.
Quote:
Is it quiet reader for the price ?
What do you mean by that?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #5
ayme08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Yes, I have a Boox Note Air and use it as a notepad with a keyboard and stylus. What do you mean by that?
I mean quality/price
Advert
Old 06-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I mean quality/price
It is excellent as a reading device - also as an Android EInk tablet; and excellent as a note-taking device.
But to comment in pdf (sheet music, scores) I use my Likebook Alita because it has 512 GB of memory thanks to the SD card.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use my Likebook Alita because it has 512 GB of memory thanks to the SD card.
512 GB?
Do any of the Onyx Boox have SD cards?
The recent B&N Glows don't have SD cards, so I had to solder them in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdcard.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	475.9 KB
ID:	187904  
Old 06-28-2021, 12:13 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
512 GB?
Yes, all Likebook devices (from Android 6) with the exception of the P10 have an SD card connection, and the file system allows them to be NTFS when used as a mobile device.
USB-OTG can also use NTFS and I also used a 4 TB Seagate on my Likebook devices.

That is one of the reasons why I prefer Likebook devices in many areas of application.
Quote:
Do any of the Onyx Boox have SD cards?
No.
Boox devices can only use FAT32 via USB-OTG (I haven't found anything else).

From Boox, apart from the Note Air, I only have Poke (Pro, 2, 3)

In my opinion, Boox Note Air is designed for landscape format - it is therefore ideally suited with a Bluetooth keyboard and pen (for cursor positioning) as an (Android) notebook outdoors, in the sun, ... - because of the only 32 GB it sometimes has to be connected to the workstation for data synchronization.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-28-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Renate
Wizard

I just checked. I have lots of tech documents and books but it's only ~2 GB.
It reminds me of my first "information holding device", a Palm III: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_III
That had 2 MB of RAM. Still, it held all the lyrics/chords of the songs that I played.
Note: The Palm III originally sold for $400, so I guess a Note Air is a better value now!

Last edited by Renate; 06-28-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
ayme08

Ok, I see. The problem is the storage. For the price i think is not a good idea !
Old 06-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #11
ayme08

Quote:

That is one of the reasons why I prefer Likebook devices in many areas of application.
No.

Ok, problem with this device is storage ?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Renate
Wizard

I think you'll find that everybody has different storage needs.
32 GB (like the Note Air) is a whole lot of storage for most people.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Ok, I see. The problem is the storage. For the price i think is not a good idea !
I don't think 32 GB of space is a book problem - I can get by with it on the "Reader".
For me it's sheet music that takes up so much space; Eg the score of Verdi's "Forza del Destino" with 620 MB - and I have around 500 such huge files.
Or Kiwix Wikipedia with around 40 GB - I can't do that on any of my Boox devices, no problem on the Likebooks.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
ayme08

Quote:
Yes, all Likebook devices (from Android 6) with the exception of the P10 have an SD card connection, and the file system allows them to be NTFS when used as a mobile device.
USB-OTG can also use NTFS and I also used a 4 TB Seagate on my Likebook devices.

No.

From Boox, apart from the Note Air, I only have Poke (Pro, 2, 3)

In my opinion, Boox Note Air is designed for landscape format - it is therefore ideally suited with a Bluetooth keyboard and pen (for cursor positioning) as an (Android) notebook outdoors, in the sun, ... - because of the only 32 GB it sometimes has to be connected to the workstation for data synchronization.
Quote:
I don't think 32 GB of space is a book problem - I can get by with it on the "Reader".
For me it's sheet music that takes up so much space; Eg the score of Verdi's "Forza del Destino" with 620 MB - and I have around 500 such huge files.
Or Kiwix Wikipedia with around 40 GB - I can't do that on any of my Boox devices, no problem on the Likebooks.
It's totaly true, i have hundreds og magazines (PDF) and audio files with 600-700 Mb each and 32 Gb withoud an external storage realy does not feet my needs besides the price.
Likebooks : i don't know anything about these devices, so i will read forum and google it
Old 06-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
It's totaly true, i have hundreds og magazines (PDF) and audio files with 600-700 Mb each and 32 Gb withoud an external storage realy does not feet my needs besides the price.
Likebooks : i don't know anything about these devices, so i will read forum and google it
Boyue-Likebook.
You have to be quick and try to get a piece of the old Notes line.
The P10 has no SD extension and according to tests I have read it is also weak in the pen area.
My 10.3 inch favorite is the Likebook Alita: Android 8.1, 10.3 Wacom, 4/32 GB, 8 core 1.5 GHz, SD in a tray.
Pretty much the last few pieces are here.