Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-27-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
Aromatisse
Aromatisse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Upgrading from a Kobo Touch

After many years of faithful service, my Touch has now stopped holding a charge. I'm looking to replace it, but I'm not sure at this point just getting another of the same model is the best move, considering how old it is. I'm not looking for any frills, I just read epubs in full daylight and lug the thing everywhere with me in my bag. What models that are a little more recent should I check out? Thanks in advance.
Aromatisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 04:08 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Just get a newer Kobo. Any model made in the last 10 years will be an improvement. The lighted screen will likely be somethingyou'll appreciate more than you think.

I'd recommend the Clara 2E due to it's small size.

If you want to save some money, you could go for the Nia. Usually the cost difference between the Clara and the Nia is so small, I'd say go for the Clara. But looks like you can buy a refurbished Nia for $80 on Amazon.

The Nia and the Clara are both similar enough to the Touch that you likely won't notice much difference.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Clara 2E might be the best for you, if you want to buy new. If used, Kobo Clara HD.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:55 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromatisse View Post
After many years of faithful service, my Touch has now stopped holding a charge. I'm looking to replace it, but I'm not sure at this point just getting another of the same model is the best move, considering how old it is. I'm not looking for any frills, I just read epubs in full daylight and lug the thing everywhere with me in my bag. What models that are a little more recent should I check out? Thanks in advance.
I don't think it would be that hard to replace the battery...

https://e-ink-reader.ru/battery_info_en.php?dev_id=81

If you want used 6" Kobo, but newer, I would probably recommend the Clara HD or Aura 2nd Edition. If the prices are close, definitely the Clara HD over the Aura 2nd Edition.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:11 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If you want used 6" Kobo, but newer, I would probably recommend the Clara HD or Aura 2nd Edition. If the prices are close, definitely the Clara HD over the Aura 2nd Edition.
Any reason you're recommending the Aura 2 over the Nia? Does the Aura 2 have any advantages over the Nia?

For the OP, the Aura 2 was the previous cheapest Kobo model. It was replaced by the Nia.
Advert
Old 04-28-2023, 02:04 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Any reason you're recommending the Aura 2 over the Nia? Does the Aura 2 have any advantages over the Nia?

For the OP, the Aura 2 was the previous cheapest Kobo model. It was replaced by the Nia.
There's a couple reasons why I like the Kobo Aura 2nd Edition better. 1) It should be cheaper and 2) It has the power button the back. But, mostly, I thought if the O.P. was looking for a used one, the Aura 2nd ED should be cheaper. I think Nias are overpriced.

Looking on eBay, it looks like Clara HD's prices are almost as low as the Aura 2 and actually cheaper than the Nias. That's definitely the direction I would go if I wanted a used one.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-28-2023 at 02:08 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:51 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I recommend the Libra 2 with a very nice 7" screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I recommend the Libra 2 with a very nice 7" screen.
The Libra 2 seems to be the best reader Kobo currently makes. Maybe the best they have ever made. It sure gets a whole lot of love.

But OP is looking for a small no frillls reader to take everywhere and mainly read in sunlight. So Libra 2 would likely be too chunky.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:00 AM   #9
Aromatisse

Thank you for all the suggestions! I might go for the Nia, since there's a refurbished one available for a decent price on the local Kobo webstore.

The suggestion to replace the battery myself seems interesting, but I'll attempt that as a side project after getting a new reader, I have no experience with that sort of stuff so I'm not sure I'll succeed, but I definitely want to give it a shot.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:13 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aromatisse View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! I might go for the Nia, since there's a refurbished one available for a decent price on the local Kobo webstor.
If you live in the US at least, I wouldn't recommend ordering from Kobo. They take forever to ship. Walmart, Amazon and possibly eBay would be better bets.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:12 AM   #11
Aromatisse

Quote:
If you live in the US at least, I wouldn't recommend ordering from Kobo. They take forever to ship. Walmart, Amazon and possibly eBay would be better bets.
I'm in Europe
Old 04-30-2023, 09:36 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Kobo Ireland was OK. Netherlands is returns centre for Ireland and of course if within a year and manufacturing defect, Kobo pays shipping cost.
Good luck on getting Amazon or an Ebay seller to honour European laws without legal threats. Ebay even expires ability to reply to seller in a short period.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Libra 2 seems to be the best reader Kobo currently makes. Maybe the best they have ever made. It sure gets a whole lot of love.

But OP is looking for a small no frillls reader to take everywhere and mainly read in sunlight. So Libra 2 would likely be too chunky.
I take my Libra 2 with me a lot. I have no problem with the size. Larger and yes, I may have a problem taking it with me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:12 AM   #14
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
I also carry my Libra 2 with me, but it is in a bag or backpack most of the time. Still, I wouldn't buy one if one of your main concerns is portability - a Clara (or Nia) is going to be much more convenient, as they're about the right size to fit in a large pocket.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:21 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Is it that much chunkier?

The Touch was 165 X 114 x 10mm and 185 grams.
Libra 2: 144.6 x 161.6 x 9 mm and 215 grams (some of which is in the well-balanced handle with buttons - IME this makes it 'feel' lighter than it is, and I'm quite sensitive to ereader weight). For that the OP will get a fair whack of increased screen real estate, nice lighting, way more storage, and a vastly improved battery life.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote