Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Post Help me decide between the PW 5 and Clara 2E

Hello! I've been lurking for months, and finally decided to make an account.

Backstory: I live in India, and the ability to buy non-Kindle ereaders is very limited. Even Kindles are a bit more expensive here than in a country like the US, so when I wanted to get my first e-ink device I went for the Kindle Basic 2022. I've been pretty happy with it, so far, but I have a few gripes with it such as the lack of warm light that are leading me to look elsewhere. My brother's visiting the United States in the next month and has offered to pick up something there for me within my budget (so long as I trade him my Basic - he does not care for warm light, my eyes are far more sensitive and have deteriorated far more than his).

The features I am looking for are a decent warm light, a larger screen, and a good 'feel' to the ereader (feeling closer to text on a page). I also do NOT want an asymmetrical ereader for a variety of aesthetic and functional reasons (this is what led me to rule out something like the Kobo Libra 2).

I've pretty much narrowed down to two options within my budget: a new Kobo Clara 2E, or a refurbished Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition (they've been going for fairly cheap as of late). I can't really decide between the two of them.

Clara 2E: It basically has all the features and functionality I want, except for the 6" screen size. I'm also concerned about things like ease of sideloading as SendtoKindle has spoiled me, but I'm not afraid to tinker (I'm an experienced Linux user and am handy with software) and have seen that there are some decent workarounds such as KoboCloud or even some hacky ftp solutions, so that's not a worry.

Kindle Paperwhite 5: It has almost everything I want, but I'm concerned about the flush screen. I really like the recessed screen of the Kindle Basic, and I worry that the flush screen might bother me in terms of "feel".

So, what do y'all think? I feel like I've hit an impasse in terms of feature set here. I don't really know which of the features I value more. How much does the Kindle's flush screen affect the reading experience (with frontlight turned very low or completely off)? Do you think it'd be better in the long-term to compromise on "feel" or on screen-size - if that's all a concern?

Thanks in advance to all feedback!
direhooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:39 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you have no preference software-wise (for example, I strongly prefer Kobo software to Kindle) and are used to Kindles, go for the Paperwhite. Personally I don't care whether the screen is flush or recessed, but I do care about screen size (7-8'' is perfect for me). If you feel you'd like a larger screen than the Basic had, get the PW.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2023, 03:06 AM   #3
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
I only use flush screen devices.
- there is no accumulation of dust because there is no recess,
- the top layer reduces the sharpness and contrast somewhat (you can only see that when devices with the same screen technology are placed next to each other) - but compensates for unevenness in the lighting (you can always see that).
- the top (additional) layer provides better protection for the screen module.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some flush screens may not have an additional layer, but an extended top layer. Certainly the Kindle PW4 and Kobo Sage seem very different in sharpness and ambient light contrast.

Send to Kindle is dreadful compared to USB to Kindle or Kobo, even apart from privacy and other issues. You are at the mercy of Amazon's opaque conversion system and it needs the Internet twice.

I've 4.7″, 5″, 6″(PW3 & others), 7″ (Libra & Libra 2), 7.8″ (Mars), 8″ and 10.3″ eink (I gave 6.8" to grandson). I do almost all my reading on the 8" Sage. I keep my 4.7" Y-Ben/Yiben P47L in my coat pocket, but take out the Sage if I know I'm going to read.

Kobo is best for Sideloading as covers, synopses, publishing details, collections and series all work. Works better with Calibre than other brands.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-24-2023 at 04:22 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:44 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some flush screens may not have an additional layer, but an extended top layer.
Due to the construction of the EInk modules, it is not possible otherwise.
Devices with a flat surface have one more layer.
Advert
Old 04-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Yes, it is, just by extending the top layer.

Quote:
Maybe. But in any case a plain layer makes little difference. It's the transparent metallisation and extra layer(s) that make capacitive touch less bright and less sharp than IR touch or no touch. That's why even though capacitive touch screens existed nearly 20 years before ereaders the the initial ones had none and early touch used IR beams just above the surface as the bezel was transparent to IR.

In any case I see no difference between the Sage (flush) and any of the 300 dpi recessed Capacitive touch, but the Kindle Paperwhite 4 flush screen model is certainly poorer than the PW3 side by side. On its own the PW4 looks fine.

The flush screen is easier to clean.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:07 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
But in any case a plain layer makes little difference.
Yes, of course - I wrote that you can only see the difference when the devices are next to each other.
However, each surface (2 per layer) scatters the light rays to a greater or lesser extent - this helps with illumination.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm not arguing with the logic, but why is the Kindle Voyage's contrast so good?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:08 AM   #9
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kobo is best for Sideloading as covers, synopses, publishing details, collections and series all work. Works better with Calibre than other brands.
I've been hearing similar things from other sources. So far with SendtoKindle,I've never had an issue with covers, but some sideloaded books format terribly, and it's a bit of a pain to get some of them to work.

I also do care about more open and transparent software ecosystems (Linux user etc. etc.), so that's definitely a pull towards the Kobo.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #10
direhooks

Quote:
I only use flush screen devices.
- there is no accumulation of dust because there is no recess,
- the top layer reduces the sharpness and contrast somewhat (you can only see that when devices with the same screen technology are placed next to each other) - but compensates for unevenness in the lighting (you can always see that).
- the top (additional) layer provides better protection for the screen module.
Thanks for the breakdown of your reasoning!

That makes a lot of sense to me. In the months I've had the Kindle Basic, my dog's fur has already gotten caught a few times, and it's a bit annoying to get out, so not having to deal with that does seem compelling to me. From the reviews I've heard, the Clara 2E's lighting seems to be very even, aside from some defective units that place the frontlight too high in the bottom, so I'm not sure how much that plays in here, but it's good to keep in mind.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not arguing with the logic, but why is the Kindle Voyage's contrast so good?
Accepted knowledge is the etched glass they made a deal out of when it was released.

But it must have been cost prohibitive or a pain to work with, because there hasn't been another one, even on the more expensive Oasis.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #12
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
In any case I see no difference between the Sage (flush) and any of the 300 dpi recessed Capacitive touch
Do you notice a difference in depth? I guess some flush screens can give the impression that the text is below the surface, and you're looking through a window at your book, whereas recessed screens can make it appear that the text is printed on the surface of the screen, which is closer to how a paper book looks.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:20 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Accepted knowledge is the etched glass they made a deal out of when it was released.

But it must have been cost prohibitive or a pain to work with, because there hasn't been another one, even on the more expensive Oasis.
I've read that, but don't really understand how etching would make the glass clearer. Whatever they did, however, worked.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:28 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Do you notice a difference in depth? I guess some flush screens can give the impression that the text is below the surface, and you're looking through a window at your book, whereas recessed screens can make it appear that the text is printed on the surface of the screen, which is closer to how a paper book looks.
I don't notice this effect with my Voyage or Nook Plus (6"), but I can't speak for the Sage.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:14 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I haven't noticed that on my Kobo Aura (6") or my Glowlight Plus (6").

I have heard complaints that the text on the Pocketbook Era is just clearly not as sharp as the text on the Libra 2 and the current Paperwhite, though all three use the same screen and the Paperwhite and Era are both flush screen. So maybe the flush screens can be done badly.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote