Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2023, 10:07 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There is, but you have to register the device with Kobo to activate it at all.
You do?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 10:41 PM   #47
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
There is, but you have to register the device with Kobo to activate it at all.
As Sirtel said, it doesn't really matter since Kobo doesn't make any models you're interested in right now, but this isn't true. Power on the Kobo, connect it to your PC via USB when it asks you to connect to Wi-Fi for setup, open KoboeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in a text editor, add SideloadedMode=true under the ApplicationPreferences section, save the file, eject the Kobo, and use the power button to reboot it. You'll reboot to "My Books" and totally bypass registration permanently.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2023, 11:04 PM   #48
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Power on the Kobo, connect it to your PC via USB when it asks you to connect to Wi-Fi for setup, open KoboeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in a text editor, add SideloadedMode=true under the ApplicationPreferences section, save the file, eject the Kobo, and use the power button to reboot it. You'll reboot to "My Books" and totally bypass registration permanently.
I saw in another thread that the bypass feature only works on newer firmware. I don't remember the number, but it was something like 4.31 or thereabouts. I updated my Aura H2O Edition 1 yesterday because it was on firmware 4.15, supposedly too old for the bypass to work. It updated to 4.35.20400, so supposedly if I need to reset it now registration can be bypassed.

Do you know if the newer firmware requirement is accurate? I have another one I haven't updated yet.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:57 AM   #49
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The buttons on the 350 are in a terrible location. And all the downsides I mentioned are valid compared to a current Reader. The 350 has way too many compromises to make it worthwhile.
In your opinion it's not worthwhile. I don't agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can't find any current 6" Reader with buttons in a good location. So that leaves 7" as the buttons on the Libra 2 are in a good location.
I use the page turn buttons on my 6" PocketBooks all the time. I think the button location is fine. Again, it's not "one size fits all."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:00 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought you didn't have to register Kindles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You don't, but then you can't use some features, e.g. collections.
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but don't you also lose the dictionary feature without registering?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2023, 01:27 AM   #51
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Do you know if the newer firmware requirement is accurate? I have another one I haven't updated yet.
Sideload mode is indeed a fairly new feature, but I can't tell you which specific firmware introduced it. The MR wiki claims it was 4.31, but it might have been added earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but don't you also lose the dictionary feature without registering?
After a factory reset and enabling sideload mode, you will need to sync one time in order to download any dictionaries you want, but this does not require registration. It does, however, force you to use the latest firmware, since the sync will perform an update, whether you want to or not. You can manually install an older firmware if you want afterwards, as long as you don't go back to a firmware that predates sideload mode.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:03 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
As Sirtel said, it doesn't really matter since Kobo doesn't make any models you're interested in right now, but this isn't true. Power on the Kobo, connect it to your PC via USB when it asks you to connect to Wi-Fi for setup, open KoboeReader/.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf in a text editor, add SideloadedMode=true under the ApplicationPreferences section, save the file, eject the Kobo, and use the power button to reboot it. You'll reboot to "My Books" and totally bypass registration permanently.
Fake-user@fake-domain used to work fine to "register" a Kobo. Unlike Kindle no payment details needed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #53
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
(rcentros provided info and instructions about replacing a Sony PRS-350 battery.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
... reminds me of Mr. Rogers or the old Bob & Ray "Slow Talkers of America" skit — or maybe a combination of both.
I was just talking with somebody a few days ago about Bob and Ray. Haven't thought about them in years.

Many thanks for the information.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #54
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
You really think the extra inch is enough to justify the higher price and worse battery life, even if you don't use any of the writing features?
Yes.

I didn't think it would be, but after buying one, it did not take long for it to be my primary reader, the one I user more than 90% of the time. And I don't even own a stylus
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:50 PM   #55
Aleron Ives
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Fake-user@fake-domain used to work fine to "register" a Kobo.
I've seen you say this several times now. What's your point? Using a fake e-mail address to register would be a decent compromise for the privacy conscious if Kobo didn't provide a superior way to disable registration entirely... which it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I didn't think it would be, but after buying one, it did not take long for it to be my primary reader, the one I user more than 90% of the time.
Do you find the extra layers of plastic in the flush screen reduce clarity compared to the recessed screen of smaller readers? I've seen that complaint in some reviews, and if Kobo made a plain 8" reader with a recessed screen, I probably would have bought it over the Libra.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:34 PM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've seen you say this several times now. What's your point? Using a fake e-mail address to register would be a decent compromise for the privacy conscious
While most of mine have the edited configuration, sideLoadedMode=true, the fake email gives you sync and the home screen. Secondly it's simpler, but I don't believe it's an issue using a real email address anyway.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:34 PM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Do you find the extra layers of plastic in the flush screen reduce clarity compared to the recessed screen of smaller readers? I've seen that complaint in some reviews, and if Kobo made a plain 8" reader with a recessed screen, I probably would have bought it over the Libra.
A bit, but the difference is minor, IMO. Compared side by side, the Libra 2 is sharper, but not by much.

The previous Libra (H2O) had pretty poor contrast. It was not a particularly good screen, even though it was recessed.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:38 PM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Some flush screens may not have extra layers. The Kindle PW4 flush screen is poorer than the PW3 and Kobos for ambient brightness and clarity. I see no issue with Sage vs original Libra or Libra 2.

I took apart a Sage (it was fine afterwards) and the entire front and display panel seemed like one unit.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-20-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some flush screens may not have extra layers. The Kindle PW4 flush screen is poorer than the PW3 and Kobos for ambient brightness and clarity. I see no issue with Sage vs original Libra or Libra 2.
And some recessed screens can be worse than some flush screens. My original Libra was worse than my Oasis 3 and the Sage both.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A bit, but the difference is minor, IMO. Compared side by side, the Libra 2 is sharper, but not by much.

The previous Libra (H2O) had pretty poor contrast. It was not a particularly good screen, even though it was recessed.
No contrast or sharpness difference between my original Libra and my Libra 2. Ambient light, front light off. Just checked.

Perhaps there is manufacturing variations?