Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 AM   #31
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
There is no doubt the Boyue Likebook Mars (P78) is a real 7.8″ android tablet with eink and can do more than a dedicated ereader. However I've never found an Android app with as good Library management / filter / sort as the Kindle, Kobo or even the old Sony PRS-350, nor any app that integrates as well as Kobo with Calibre to manage library meta-data and annotations etc.
The Likebook Mars is the weakest Android tablet I know. (2018).
Even then, Calibre Companion works great, and I can't think of a better library manager for my 17,000+ books.
And Boox devices are much more powerful in terms of screen.
Animation can be turned off, K9 works fine, there are no problems with scrolling (Internet) and I also have Youtube installed on my TabUltra.
The technology has advanced significantly in 5 years.
No dedicated reader can keep up with that.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:15 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Long ago I posted an image of the same comic page on an iPad, Android and Surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Dunno about nowadays; I'm still happily reading comics on an iPad 4 (2012).
Here it is. The iPad is on the left, then the Android tablet and the Surface. The Surface screen is much larger of course. But looking at the iPad vs. Android, the page is larger due to the way it fits each screen.

Don't mind me. I fall down rabbit holes sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200102_185518.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	201311  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2023, 10:38 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
In my opinion, dedicated ereaders do not have any advantage compared to EInk tablets.
At best, that of a little lower power consumption.
Power consumption is a big deal to me. That's one of the main reasons I like dedicated eReaders. But basically it's just that I want to use an eReader to read non-fiction and novels because I like the screen better. I have a Fire tablet but no desire to use it. If I want to get online or write, I want something with a keyboard.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:41 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
An eink tablet though is really niche. Many tablet apps won't work.
And, from what I can see (from the sidelines), a lot of the applications that do run don't always display that well in black in white — unless there is a specific option for monochrome.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:43 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Don't mind me. I fall down rabbit holes sometimes.
I haven't seen a Groo comic book in a while. I had forgotten all about them.
Advert
Old 04-27-2023, 01:02 AM   #36
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Power consumption is a big deal to me. That's one of the main reasons I like dedicated eReaders.
I don't care if there's, say, 40 or 60 hours of page flip uptime
Quote:
But basically it's just that I want to use an eReader to read non-fiction and novels because I like the screen better.
EInk Android devices and dedicated readers use the same modules - there is no difference.
Quote:
I have a Fire tablet but no desire to use it.
If I want to see something in color, I use a $50 China tablet
Quote:
If I want to get online or write, I want something with a keyboard.
I don't like devices where the keyboard is connected to the screen (laptop, notepad) - that's why I use Bt keyboard and Bt mouse to my Boox Tab Ultra (the screen is fast enough for mouse trail display).
And with that, computer work and internet access is almost unlimited - only the color information is missing.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:11 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I don't care if there's, say, 40 or 60 hours of page flip uptimeEInk
I've charged my PocketBook HD 3 less than ten times in over two years (January 20th, 2021). That's what I like in an eReader.

Quote:
Android devices and dedicated readers use the same modules - there is no difference.
The difference is an eReader doesn't have a lot of crap I don't want. And I don't like the Android reading apps, I like what's built-in to a dedicated eReader. And I don't like Google. I played around with some Chromebooks and found the only thing I used on them was Linux (Crostini) and Linux applications. The main reason I tried Chromebooks was for the battery life — and found that, with a newer laptop running Linux, I could come close to Chromebook battery life.

Quote:
If I want to see something in color, I use a $50 China tablet.
I already have a cheap "China tablet." I don't use it. I don't need color for eBooks. (I understand that others do need color).

Quote:
I don't like devices where the keyboard is connected to the screen (laptop, notepad) - that's why I use Bt keyboard and Bt mouse to my Boox Tab Ultra (the screen is fast enough for mouse trail display). And with that, computer work and internet access is almost unlimited - only the color information is missing.
I understand that a lot people like tablets. I'm not one of them. To me a laptop (when I'm away from home) is the better solution. I like carrying one device for computing and one for reading.

Quote:
And with that, computer work and internet access is almost unlimited - only the color information is missing.
I would rather have the eReader for reading and the laptop for mobile computing. I like Linux (instead of Android) and most of the applications I use are not available on a tablet.

Choice is good.
Old 04-27-2023, 03:04 AM   #38
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I've charged my PocketBook HD 3 less than ten times in over two years (January 20th, 2021). That's what I like in an eReader.
I didn't charge my Boox Poke Pro more often either - I just barely use it.
It's important to me that I get through until I can connect to a power source.
Quote:
The difference is an eReader doesn't have a lot of crap I don't want. And I don't like the Android reading apps, I like what's built-in to a dedicated eReader. And I don't like Google.
No dedicated reader can manage my library of 17,000 books - only Calibre Companion can do that and requires Google Play for purchase verification.
No dedicated reader allows me to have all the functions I want available with one touch in the reading application - for this I need the option of being able to use the app I want.
Quote:
I already have a cheap "China tablet." I don't use it. I don't need color for eBooks. (I understand that others do need color).
I only use it when I want color information.
Now I'm waiting for reports from the Boox Tab Ultra C.
Quote:
I understand that a lot people like tablets. I'm not one of them. To me a laptop (when I'm away from home) is the better solution. I like carrying one device for computing and one for reading.
I have everything in one bag (900g)
Quote:
I would rather have the eReader for reading and the laptop for mobile computing. I like Linux (instead of Android) and most of the applications I use are not available on a tablet.
I need a Windows workstation because unfortunately some software is not available for Linux.
But what I need for on the go is available under Android.
Quote:
Choice is good.
OK.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:52 AM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
...No dedicated reader can manage my library of 17,000 books - only Calibre Companion can do that and requires Google Play for purchase verification. ...
I don't have anywhere near 17,000 eBooks and I think the most I've ever had on one eReader is about 110. So that's probably partly why a dedicated eReader works fine for me.

Quote:
...I need a Windows workstation because unfortunately some software is not available for Linux.
But what I need for on the go is available under Android. ...
Sorry about having to use Windows. The applications I want when on the go require Linux (or Windows, or Mac OS). They're not available in Android. That's probably why I don't like Android that much.

I did install Termux on my on my Pixel smartphone and installed eMacs and Fountain-Mode. But the Bluetooth keyboard I like is almost as big as a laptop, so I've mostly used it to see if it works.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:47 AM   #40
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I don't have anywhere near 17,000 eBooks and I think the most I've ever had on one eReader is about 110. So that's probably partly why a dedicated eReader works fine for me.
I try to be as independent as possible from data sources and that's why I have my entire library on my devices.
And because I also want to have wikipedia (Kiwix) etc. with me, I need storage giants (512 GB SD).
And that's not the case with dedicated readers.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I always have about 2,000-3,000 books on my ereaders, and I've found the Kobo UI to be perfectly adequate for my needs (tags, collections and metadata is taken automatically from Calibre when I connect my reader). My whole library is about 30,000, but I don't want to keep all of it on my ereaders. 3,000 at a time is enough.

Like you, I don't particularly like Android apps or Android in general. That's why I prefer dedicated ereaders, especially Kobo, to Android tablets. For my computing needs, Windows is fine and does everything I want.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 06:01 PM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I try to be as independent as possible from data sources and that's why I have my entire library on my devices.
And because I also want to have wikipedia (Kiwix) etc. with me, I need storage giants (512 GB SD).
And that's not the case with dedicated readers.
I understand. I usually just feed in books from the computer when I need them. I can buy or borrow books directly with the PocketBook's browser since it has ADE built-in. So it's pretty well covered. It can also use DropBox for downloading books from my library. But I've never tried that. If I was on the road more I would probably set that up.
Old 04-27-2023, 06:09 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I always have about 2,000-3,000 books on my ereaders, and I've found the Kobo UI to be perfectly adequate for my needs (tags, collections and metadata is taken automatically from Calibre when I connect my reader). My whole library is about 30,000, but I don't want to keep all of it on my ereaders. 3,000 at a time is enough.

Like you, I don't particularly like Android apps or Android in general. That's why I prefer dedicated ereaders, especially Kobo, to Android tablets. For my computing needs, Windows is fine and does everything I want.
I give people a hard time about Windows, but my whole family (with the exception of my dad) use Windows. My kids play games on their computers and my wife uses Power Point, with a specific set of commercial templates that I could never quite get to work right in LibreOffice. (Doubtful that she would have gone to Linux anyhow.)

I don't know what it is about Android, but it just doesn't seem to "fit" into the way I use a computer. (That and I don't like Google.) I have a smartphone (on a $7 a month plan), but I mainly I use my flip phone when I'm out. I don't do any social or any of the things on smartphones that most seem to use them for. I text and call (and occasionally play pinochle) on it.
Old 04-27-2023, 11:24 PM   #44
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I understand. I usually just feed in books from the computer when I need them. I can buy or borrow books directly with the PocketBook's browser since it has ADE built-in. So it's pretty well covered. It can also use DropBox for downloading books from my library. But I've never tried that. If I was on the road more I would probably set that up.
This works for me as well, but requires a working internet every time I use something like this.
But my ambition is to be as independent as possible from it.
Old 04-28-2023, 12:25 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I give people a hard time about Windows, but my whole family (with the exception of my dad) use Windows.
I'd like to move to Linux. I admire Linux and free software principles. I use Firefox and LibreOffice.

But the problem is that as desktop Linux has made enormous improvements, so has Windows. Any computer I buy is going to have Windows installed on it (and the ones that don't, like Tuxedo or Slimbook cost more) and I know that Windows will do everything I want to do with little to no tinkering. Not so with Linux.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote