Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, because they're not needed anymore - smartphones are fully as good in every aspect. OTOH, tablets certainly aren't as good as dedicated ereaders in several aspects - display and weight being the two most important ones. I guess ereaders may disappear once we have tablets as lightweight and with the similar eye-friendly display, but then it would no longer matter. As long as dedicated ereaders still have some advantages, they won't disappear.
There is no smartphone camera that has zoom that's good enough. Digital zoom is not acceptable. Has to be optical zoom.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:53 PM   #17
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
ACeP is a poster / advert technology. It's terrible for an ereader. 1.5 second page refresh time.
In the review he is disappointed above all by the color rendition. The slowness was expected. However we are only at the beginning, it may be that in a few years we will have a fast screen with perfect colors. Let's hope so.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no smartphone camera that has zoom that's good enough. Digital zoom is not acceptable. Has to be optical zoom.
Yes, and that's why dedicated cameras still exist. Only the cheapest ones have disappeared, because smartphones replaced them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:56 AM   #19
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Yes, because they're not needed anymore - smartphones are fully as good in every aspect. OTOH, tablets certainly aren't as good as dedicated ereaders in several aspects - display and weight being the two most important ones. I guess ereaders may disappear once we have tablets as lightweight and with the similar eye-friendly display, but then it would no longer matter. As long as dedicated ereaders still have some advantages, they won't disappear.
I'm a bit of a Luddite as far as smartphones, tablets at concerned; so I may be out of date. For me the main difference between eInk and LCD displays is that the former can be read in direct sunlight, while the latter can't.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:51 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I might be wrong, but I see the market for standalones shrinking.
Like the smartphone drove out the photocamera, it will also make the ereader obsolete.

The biggest issue with T1/T2/T3 (I have them all) is the lack of backlight for lowlight conditions.

So, get adapted to tablets. Ereaders will disappear.
I've been reading this for about 8 years now.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2023, 04:08 AM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
But cheap snapshot cameras are gone.
Not in the U.S. You can still buy instant cameras, throwaway "single use" film cameras, snapshot film cameras and cheap digital cameras.

I don't know where you would get film developed these days, though.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:09 AM   #22
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I also don't know of any smartphone camera with a viewfinder - and the screen allows random images at best in high brightness
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:35 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm not a Swiss Army knife person. Well, I am when it comes to pocketknives that I can use as a keyring, but not in the metaphorical sense: I prefer to use the best tool for the job. So I read comics on an iPad (mini for manga format, 10 inch for regular comics), and a Kobo for novels and text nonfiction.

As others have said above, colour e-ink really hasn't come of age yet, and is currently an inferior product both for text reading (low dpi) and for comic reading (poor colour). For comfortable tablet reading, I have the room lights on, and turn the brightness on the iPad right down to a comfortable level, not blaring light in my face. I see a lot of people who seem to keep the brightness cranked up all the time then complain about the high light levels; make sure you're not doing that. Turn it down until it's a bit too dim, then a titch up.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As long as dedicated ereaders still have some advantages, they won't disappear.
In my opinion, dedicated ereaders do not have any advantage compared to EInk tablets.
At best, that of a little lower power consumption.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:21 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An eink tablet though is really niche. Many tablet apps won't work.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:47 AM   #26
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
An eink tablet though is really niche. Many tablet apps won't work.
I haven't found an app that doesn't work yet.
And apps with yellow text on a light blue background or red on green are poorly designed - and are not acceptable to me even on a color tablet

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-26-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:11 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I haven't found an app that doesn't work yet.
And apps with yellow text on a light blue background or red on green are poorly designed - and are not acceptable to me even on a color tablet
Loads of apps are useless on my Likebook Mars. Even ones I thought would work like solitaire. Lichess works fine.
Also forget about animation or video.
Web browsing is unusable on any eink, though originally it nearly worked on a Kindle DXG because it paginated the web page instead of scroll.
The Library app (Borrowbox) is only just usuable compared to LCD.
K9 email sort of works, but poorer than LCD.
Pocketbook TTS doesn't work, even though the Google Speech Engine installed and there is both 3.5mm jack audio and BT audio.
Many music players don't work properly (display issues).
Getting 3rd party touch on-screen keyboard working was tricky.

Display issues are more than about choice of application colours.

Eink phones have been a failure. Any eink Android tablet is mostly used as an ereader, with ability to have Google PlaystoreBooks, Kindle, Kobo, Libby, Borrowbox etc ebook apps (but a bit flakey).

There is no doubt the Boyue Likebook Mars (P78) is a real 7.8″ android tablet with eink and can do more than a dedicated ereader. However I've never found an Android app with as good Library management / filter / sort as the Kindle, Kobo or even the old Sony PRS-350, nor any app that integrates as well as Kobo with Calibre to manage library meta-data and annotations etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:51 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I read comics on an iPad (mini for manga format, 10 inch for regular comics)...
Are iPads still 4:3 aspect ratio? If so, a 10 inch Android tablet with a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio will fit a standard American comic page better (of course, whether Android would work better for you than iOS is a different thing). And a Surface with 3:2 aspect ratio works best.

Long ago I posted an image of the same comic page on an iPad, Android and Surface.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-26-2023 at 06:13 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #29
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Loads of apps are useless on my Likebook Mars. Even ones I thought would work like solitaire. Lichess works fine.
Also forget about animation or video.
Web browsing is unusable on any eink, though originally it nearly worked on a Kindle DXG because it paginated the web page instead of scroll.
The Library app (Borrowbox) is only just usuable compared to LCD.
K9 email sort of works, but poorer than LCD.
Pocketbook TTS doesn't work, even though the Google Speech Engine installed and there is both 3.5mm jack audio and BT audio.
Many music players don't work properly (display issues).
Getting 3rd party touch on-screen keyboard working was tricky.

Display issues are more than about choice of application colours.

Eink phones have been a failure. Any eink Android tablet is mostly used as an ereader, with ability to have Google PlaystoreBooks, Kindle, Kobo, Libby, Borrowbox etc ebook apps (but a bit flakey).

There is no doubt the Boyue Likebook Mars (P78) is a real 7.8″ android tablet with eink and can do more than a dedicated ereader. However I've never found an Android app with as good Library management / filter / sort as the Kindle, Kobo or even the old Sony PRS-350, nor any app that integrates as well as Kobo with Calibre to manage library meta-data and annotations etc.
I completely disagree. All apps I've tried have worked on both my Hisense A5 Pro and A9. This includes: maps, banking apps, Spotify, music players, NewPipe (for Youtube), messaging apps.

And with EinkBro browsing the web is highly enjoyable on e-ink. On my e-ink phones (I use my A9 as my main phone and the A5 Pro before that) I can scroll the web one page at a time using the volume buttons - it reads the same way as an epub file. On my Nova 3, which only has a back button, I can use designated screen areas to jump up or down one screen at a time - again like reading an epub. On both devices I use normal mode in the browser - images and text are crisp and clear.

What about video? I don't watch any videos on my devices - I use Newpipe to play sound in the background. However, I once had to have an emergency MS Teams call with video on my A5 Pro and surprisingly it worked good enough. I could see the two other people in the call and they could see and hear me fine.

Even the camera works for taking photos of documents - it's easy to see if the result will be legible. Taking artistic photos is a pain, of course.

As for the TS I'd recommend checking out the Onyx Boox Tab Ultra C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GMH...BndWlkZQ%3D%3D.

Just wait for the actual review to be released first. Colour e-ink technology has not been good enough so far.
kandwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:11 AM   #30
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Are iPads still 4:3 aspect ratio?
Dunno about nowadays; I'm still happily reading comics on an iPad 4 (2012).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote